7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Headlight

This is my 1st post here so hello to all and hopefully someone may be able to help me. I have 2012 Max sv with HID lights. A few weeks ago I had to slightly run off the road to prevent from being hit by another driver. By doing that I damaged the passenger side front bumper at the bottom by the fog lights a little. I just noticed the other day that that sides light wasn't working so I immediately order a pair of bulbs. D2S type to replace them. I got the bulb in and it still isn't working. Any idea what this could be? I have a new bulb and I also checked fuses in the box under the hood and they appeared to be ok. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM

It could be the connector to the ballast or the ballast itself. The ballast for the right side is located near the Washer Reservoir. Remove the bottom cover or the Splash Guard from the wheel well and you will see it. Hopefully, something just got under just enough to disconnect the plug.

Does the High Beam work?

I

Last edited by LtLeary; 04-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LtLeary
It could be the connector to the ballast or the ballast itself. The ballast for the right side is located near the Washer Reservoir. Remove the bottom cover or the Splash Guard from the wheel well and you will see it. Hopefully, something just got under just enough to disconnect the plug.

Does the High Beam work?

I
Yes the high beam works, and I think it may be the ballast or something electrical, because I noticed the entire wheel well liner was ripped off during the incident. So water has been getting in there. I can tell because it rained the other day and there was water in that particular light and not the drivers side light. I'm just going to put it in the shop to get my bumper and everything else repaired. Thanks for the response and you seem quite knowledgeable.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 AM

If you are getting water inside the "headlight assy" then it most likely got damaged as well. Anyone who has tried to "fish" the connector for the bulb to the ballast knows how the twists and turns will keep water out unless damaged or submerged.

The good news is the shop should be able to see the damage and order a new headlight assy with ballast. The bad, it is relatively expense and will look much "clearer" than the driver side so be prepared to spend some elbow grease cleaning the driver side headlight after you get the car back.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lol I didn't think about that. Also should I suggest they change the other sides bulb too so that one won't be as bright as the other?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by roecityryder
Lol I didn't think about that. Also should I suggest they change the other sides bulb too so that one won't be as bright as the other?
You already bought the bulbs so yes, replace both at the same time or leave the original bulbs (both.) When you do replace bulbs, try to do them at the same time. That way you don't have to try to remember which bulb you replaced when the other goes out and you scratch your head and think "Why am I going thru bulbs so fast" when the reality is you forgot the other bulb was the one you replaced.

Old Man Logic here...do the job once. Same with Tail Lights, license plate lights, etc. If one failed, the other is sure to go soon. And now you don't have to remember which "One" you replaced!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Makes sense, and thanks for the replies. I have a question you may know the answer to that I was going to post also. I think I am having an issue with losing gas or the computer is going bad. You know the readout that tells you the range till empty. I could just be done put some gas in and have a reading of 250 miles and drive maybe 5 blocks and it has dropped to 232 or so. It just started this about 2 months ago and I have been chalking it up as it being in my head until I started paying close attention to it. Any idea what this could be? And thanks again for the other responses!!!
Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

A few things could have happened a few weeks ago....
1.) Summer Gas is now available
2.) Increased use of the AC
3.) The temperature is getting warmer or you are driving in more rain. Both tend to lower overall MPG

Don't forget the OBC (On Board Computer) is a calculated (read, someones idea of a SWAG) in software. Compare actuals...that is go manual...fill up the tank, drive X number of Miles and fill up again. Then manually calculate the MPG.

I find that when I have my "Bestie" in the car with me, she requires a lot more idling to get ready to get out of the car; Is my "Nag-igator" saying "hurry up and pass this guy" or "The other lane is clear, speed up or slow down or ......" you get the picture. So my Gas Mileage goes from 28-32 to 22-24.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok I understand that. I just thought I was going crazy when I see it at one number when I pull out the gas station and drive maybe a mile and have lost 20 something miles and haven't went 3 miles...lol