7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cigar Lighter (12V Socket) Fuses Blow, Repeatedly

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cigar Lighter (12V Socket) Fuses Blow, Repeatedly

Mine is a base model (S) 2012, with no fancy radio/navigation options. However, I load up with three phone chargers and a laptop charger.

While using both 12V sockets to power phones/laptops has worked fine for months, now the 20AMP fuses blow on both within a few hours of operation.

I tried to limit the load on each to 10 amps, but still the fuses blow.

Can anyone advise me if:

1. this is a common issue . . . and of the fix?

2. has someone designed a beefier inverter box/buss that might be more reliable?

The manual references "fusible links", which I last encountered on a 1968 Rambler, but I understand that they don't degrade, they either fry . . . or not?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Jay (The Newb)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hope that this post now appears?

. . . as the problem persists.

Jay
Old 07-25-2017, 01:27 PM

Bigger fuses is not the answer. What is happening is some "stuff" has gotten inside the adapters and is causing an intermittent short that is blowing the fuses. I have had to replace the one on the accessories circuit (that only comes on when the car does) as too much "stuff" and rust were causing issues. After replacing, no more blown fuses. And I believe the Accessory adapter was a 10 amp fuse so don't double the fuses. That is how some car fires get started.

Last edited by LtLeary; 07-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.