7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

AC Compressor

I have a 2009 Maxima that needs a new AC compressor. Local mechanic quoted me $1200-$1400 to do the repair. Does this sound about right? Is this something that can be done by the average person?
Old 07-01-2017, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if your AC isnt working try changing the AC clutch first i just changed mine brought the clutch on ebay for $43 i have pictures if you need
Old 07-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Anthony Langley
if your AC isnt working try changing the AC clutch first i just changed mine brought the clutch on ebay for $43 i have pictures if you need
I am interested in them. How difficult was it? Need any special tools other than stuff you can rent from parts store? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rob L. Cook
I have a 2009 Maxima that needs a new AC compressor. Local mechanic quoted me $1200-$1400 to do the repair. Does this sound about right? Is this something that can be done by the average person?
Yes. $1200 - $1400 sounds within the range of pricing for an A/C repair facility to do the work typically involved in an A/C compressor replacement.

Yes. This is something a home garage mechanic can do ... to an extent.

However, there are several questions that must be answered before one installs a new compressor and expects all to be well.

The Qs to be answered are:

- Has your current compressor failed or has it simply stopped operating?
- If it's simply stopped operating, what's the cause?
- If it's failed, why has it failed?

The answer to these will lead you to understand/realize what other, if any, parts and procedures must accompany a repair or replacement.

A failed compressor, based on the cause, can create a good amount of collateral issues that require address along with a new compressor.

Based on your initial question, suggesting you out-of-hand replace the compressor clutch is just bad advise.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Yes. $1200 - $1400 sounds within the range of pricing for an A/C repair facility to do the work typically involved in an A/C compressor replacement.

Yes. This is something a home garage mechanic can do ... to an extent.

However, there are several questions that must be answered before one installs a new compressor and expects all to be well.

The Qs to be answered are:

- Has your current compressor failed or has it simply stopped operating?
- If it's simply stopped operating, what's the cause?
- If it's failed, why has it failed?

The answer to these will lead you to understand/realize what other, if any, parts and procedures must accompany a repair or replacement.

A failed compressor, based on the cause, can create a good amount of collateral issues that require address along with a new compressor.

Based on your initial question, suggesting you out-of-hand replace the compressor clutch is just bad advise.
In my case the AC was blowing cold and perfect one day, the next day the clutch wouldn'g engage. Thinking the freon might be low we hooked up my friends gauges, but could not get the compressor to kick on. Checked the fuse and it was good. Compressor is making a light metal on metal noise, which from my research has been known to be the bearing causing the pulley to wobble, thereby causing the magnet to fail. From what I can see around the area it seems like there is a noticeable amount of "dust" around it, more so than the rest of the engine which is pretty clean. I have a few reliable mechanic friends who are suggesting the bearings tend to fail, which cause the clutch/magnet to fail as a result of rubbing on the magnet. Really tight for money right now, and the clutch kit is only $80 with 2 year warranty. The shops around here wont change the clutch only because they cannot install parts brought in by the customer, and you cant just buy the clutch from Napa or major auto parts stores. If you have more insight on this, which you sound to be very knowledgeable, I'm all ears. I can build a big block chevy drag car all day, but when it comes to import cars and AC systems, I'm no genius. If it's just pulling off and changing out a part, I can do that in 20 minutes and save my wife and I $1000.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM

literally in the same exact position right now. As of yesterday afternoon my AC has craped out on me. Never had an issues with it and then yesterday afternoon it just started blowing all warm/hot air. I hoped for low freon, but checked charge and its full still. I spoke to two mechanics and they said it could be the hi limit switch, relay, climate controls themselves, and worst case the compressor. I also hear a knocking sound from the engine that I never heard before whenever idealing or driving. Nissan quoted me $1100 parts and labor if its compressor. Local mechanic quoted $900 compressor. Im taking it to local guy just to get it on the lift and see what exactly is going on and if the compressor is even getting power to it. ****y part is that is not until Friday. Not like its 90 degrees or anything here. Oh well. At least the car still works.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:34 AM

now I hear a loud squeeking or even like a belt rubbing inside the engine by where I believe the compressor is. its very loud and imbarssing. The noise is coming from the left side (facing car)