7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

CVT Transmission any better in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVT Transmission any better in 2013?

We are looking at a 2013 Nissan Maxima with 80K miles on it for about $13K at a Chevy Dealership nearby. We don't need a car, but we just would like to get something other than an SUV, a sport touring or a sedan.

I see that the CVT transmissions have had some issues, and they extended the warranties for the cars, up to year 2010. But this is the same generation as 2013.

What is the consensus on the 2013+ Maxima CVT transmissions? Are they any better in the 2013 vs the 2010 models?

I'm a little worried about buying a vehicle with the CVT that it might wear out before we get a chance to rack up some miles on it.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM

The CVT is about the only aspect of car that MIGHT give you concern. I personally think the risk of you having a CVT problem is blown out of proportion to the actual number of people that DO have a problem. Blame the 'net. The overwhelming majority of CVT drivers - just the Nissan ones - are happy and never show up on the 'net spouting off about how happy they are with their CVT. Just not human nature I guess?

Now the ones that do have a problem...they SCREAM, RANT, at the audacity of Nissan to ram this new technology down their throats and leave them with a ticking time bomb or worse, an actual exploded CVT. I feel their pain, but the 'net gives them a soap box to their angst and these poor owners generate a lot of readers - like you and me - that wonder if this fate will visit us???

For the car you are considering, have the CVT fluid partially changed with 5-6 quarts of the NISSAN NS-2 fluid. Don't use any other brand despite the assurances you will receive that their are cheaper alternatives to NISSAN NS-2. Pay the high price of real NS-2 and keep your receipts.

Drive on, worry about your Body Mass Index, your 401K, your kid's college education fund, your next vacation destination. Do what the Maxima owners manual states and live happily ever-after.