7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Filter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:19 PM

Cabin Filter Issue

Today I decided to replace the cabin filter myself since I have been noticing an unpleasant smell inside for the past few months. I watched a video for the exact same car on how to do it and I attempted to do it after but I ran into some issues. First of all, the little plastic thing on the housing door broke off when I tried to pull it out. Then I managed to get it off with a screw driver. When I pushed the new filter back in, it seems like I pushed it too far in so it kind of fell in there. I have been trying to get it out for the past 3 hours with no luck. I took the whole glove box out thinking I would find a way to take the plastic cover off so I can get the filter out, but it did not work.
Another thing is, when I put everything back together and I tried to put the housing door back in, the whole thing just broke so it can no longer stay on.
Oh, and lastly, I drove for a few minutes with the new filter, and the smell is still there. So it seems like the issue was not the filter.

I guess my questions are:
1) Is it okay to drive with the filter so far in?
2) Is it okay to drive without the plastic housing door?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 PM

Ok so might be able to help I just did mine! First there is a direction for it to slide in check that, then as for as the door that closes it you applied too much pressure you will need a new one and soon, it is sealed from the outside so if a bug spider or whatever wants in your car it is in just go slow and not so much pressure!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:51 PM

I suggest you get needle nose plyers and get in there to remove the filter and get a new one.
Its ok to drive without the door, but you will not get much air out of your vents, because it will be just coming out from cabin filter opening.
The smell is most likely mold on the evaporator core. There are some chemicals you can spray to kill the mold.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:31 PM

I tried everything, including needle nose pliers, and there is just no way to get it out. It is in such a tough spot. It fell in through the opening and then to the right, and after it fell in, it expanded so now I don't know how to squeeze it to get it back out. When I reach in, I can't even get a grip on the edge of it at all. All I feel is just the middle part of it. I even tried pulling on it with the pliers but it just started ripping little parts of the filter so I left it alone. I really don't know what else to try.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 PM

Okay after reading your post I went back in the car and I kept trying and trying and I started pulling on it with my fingers and the pliers even though it kept ripping and eventually I got it out !!! It is completely destroyed and unusable but I would rather spend more money on a new one rather than having it in the wrong way. I also ordered a new plastic cover and it should be here in about a week. For right now I put the old filter back in but once I receive the cover I will buy a new filter and try to do it the right way. I really do not like how easily it just falls in so I will have to be very careful next time.
Thank you for your response it really helped.

update: also to give you an update about the smell, it turns out that there was a dead bird stuck on the bottom of the car near the front and it was very disgusting. I saw it when I was changing the oil and almost threw up.

Last edited by xtreme1; 09-01-2017 at 07:03 PM.