7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVT Acted Up on 2012 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVT Acted Up on 2012 Maxima

I bought my mom's 2012 Max SV a couple of weeks ago with about 39,500 on the odometer. It made the 750-mile trip home without incident, other than the windshield washer jets didn't work. I'll sort that out later...not a major issue. I didn't drive it much after I got it home until today.

Today, I made another 12-hour trip. After about 3 hours of driving, mostly interstate at 70-80 mph with the cruise control on, I noticed a couple of jerking sensations, and initially thought it was wind gusts. However, I looked and noticed that the trees and tall grass weren't moving much on the side of the road - so it wasn't wind gusts. I started paying closer attention and it seemed almost like the car was occasionally cutting out. Then, after taking it off of cruise control because of traffic I noticed that the CVT seemed to be hesitating, or slipping and catching when I let off the accelerator and then accelerated again. It felt more like the CVT than the engine because the engine would respond and RPMs would go up but it took a fraction of a second for the CVT to catch.

I was down to about half a tank of gas so I pulled off, filled up and got some lunch. It didn't act up again for the rest of the trip.

I'm a long way from home, and have a busy schedule the next couple of days (job interviews). Any ideas about what it could be? Should I be concerned? I could leave it with a dealer Thursday and have it checked out, but need to head back to Chicago on Sunday unless it's a major issue.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Its still under warranty, might as well kill it and get it fixed before it goes after 60k lol. Any service records on the CVT ?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 PM

Might be 5 years only for that year, trade her in before boom
Old 10-19-2017, 05:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's under CPO warranty for another 8 months. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning, we'll see if they find anything.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick update: they didn't find any codes, and it didn't act up for them. No surprise, since it drove for another 550 miles without incident the same day that it happened.

I had them change the CVT fluid just for peace of mind. It could have had nothing to do with the CVT - might have been the engine sputtering on some water in the system or something - but since I'll be putting another 800+ miles on it this weekend I wanted to give it every chance to perform well.

Hopefully this is the end of the issue.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:54 PM

"I noticed a couple of jerking sensations, and initially thought it was wind gusts. However, I looked and noticed that the trees and tall grass weren't moving much on the side of the road - so it wasn't wind gusts."

It seems because of the aerodynamic design of the car this happens??? My '10 does this unstable thing as if the wind is heavy but I notice the trees are calm as you did. FWIW Check this thread out:
https://maxima.org/forums/7th-genera...stability.html

I know changing a wheel bearing(maybe the dealer did an alignment with it too) transformed the driving of my car and chances are you might need one or two.

Changing the CVT fluid is what I would of recommended(good move) even though its probably not related to this issue.

I recommend getting the car aligned.