7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

2012 Maxima Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2012 Maxima Belt Tensioner

Hey guys
I have a 2012 Max with 78k miles, After replacing the serpentine belt I noticed that I was still getting a squeak from my engine bay. I have determined that it is the pulley on the tensioner . Is it possible to replace just the pulley itself...more so just where can I find the pulley. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by daytona3829
Hey guys
I have a 2012 Max with 78k miles, After replacing the serpentine belt I noticed that I was still getting a squeak from my engine bay. I have determined that it is the pulley on the tensioner . Is it possible to replace just the pulley itself...more so just where can I find the pulley. Thanks in advance!
Nope, but while you are there, go ahead and replace them all. They aren't that expensive but do make sure you have a good set of deep offset metric wrenches. Getting the left upper pulley/tensioner bolt is difficult or impossible without it.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Agreed! You are better off doing the tensioner with the pulley. In fact Nissan recommends not changing just the pulley on these tensioners, but to replace the entire unit.
I was able to get that tough to reach bolt with a short 1/4" drive extension and a 1/4" drive short socket (it was kind of big socket for 1/4" - I want to say 13 or 14mm so you might have trouble finding a 1/4" socket that size.) I poked it through one of the holes in the power steering pump pulley (not all the holes have the same clearance so spin the pulley till you find the best hole).
P.S. - I also did this work to fix a "squeak". Mine was only at startup and only sometimes. The tensioner replacement and a new belt took care of it....but my tensioner was definitely the issue, just replaced the belt while I had it off. My tensioner ended up being locked in place. Really odd.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:16 PM

rockauto.com
Old 11-21-2017, 05:20 AM

Did you buy a Nissan belt? I went through this over the last year. Replaced belt with a Gates belt, still squeaked. Replaced tensioner, still squeaked. Gates, Dayco, they all squeaked after awhile. Bought a new Nissan belt, no more squeak. Make sure the pulleys are clean while you have it all apart.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by wildcat08
Did you buy a Nissan belt? I went through this over the last year. Replaced belt with a Gates belt, still squeaked. Replaced tensioner, still squeaked. Gates, Dayco, they all squeaked after awhile. Bought a new Nissan belt, no more squeak. Make sure the pulleys are clean while you have it all apart.
I went through a very similar scenario with my tensioner and belt. Stick with the Nissan Part for this.