7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 04:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine Swap Questions

Hey guys i need some information here and hoping to find some answers as my internet have returned some vague results.

My Maxima 2011 is starting to have some transmission issues and small engine issues at 210k miles. I have done all maintenance on it but its gotten to the point that any additional repairs will cost more money than i can afford so I'm looking at swapping my engine and transmission for one with way less miles

I came across an 2011 Altima SR v6 that's crashed but the engine and transmission are both fine and have much lower mileage than my car and from my research it's the exact same engine and transmission only difference being the ECU and intake manifold (but my car would provide these anyways so not a big deal.).

I just need to confirm that the vq35de with CVT in the Altima v6 will work fine in my Maxima. All help appreciated
Old 01-13-2020, 06:14 PM

You will likely get a check engine light because the altima engine doesnt have variable exhaust cam timing.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
You will likely get a check engine light because the altima engine doesnt have variable exhaust cam timing.
Is this something that can be added to the Altima engine? They're both vq35de's so i can't imagine there's much to change
Old 01-14-2020, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bloodykiller86
Is this something that can be added to the Altima engine? They're both vq35de's so i can't imagine there's much to change
Theres a good chance you can bolt the Maxima cam solenoids onto the Altima timing cover, but you would have to open the timing cover to change the cam gear from fixed to variable.

Alternatively, (I'm shooting in the dark here and can't say for sure if it will work or not) you might be able to use an Altima ecu in the Maxima..
Old 01-14-2020, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Theres a good chance you can bolt the Maxima cam solenoids onto the Altima timing cover, but you would have to open the timing cover to change the cam gear from fixed to variable.

Alternatively, (I'm shooting in the dark here and can't say for sure if it will work or not) you might be able to use an Altima ecu in the Maxima..
Oh wow i never read that anywhere, so basically just remove the timing cover and change one gear then. Doesn't sound to bad if both engines are going to be out of the car anyways
Old 01-14-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bloodykiller86
Oh wow i never read that anywhere, so basically just remove the timing cover and change one gear then. Doesn't sound to bad if both engines are going to be out of the car anyways
On the surface it looks calm and ready.
The problem is that you need to remove the upper and lower oil pans to *properly* remove and install the outer timing cover,
Then you will need to pull the intake manifold and valve covers to lock the cams down while breaking the exhaust cam bolts loose (Using an impact gun can crack the cam).

At this point you have two naked motors with oil and rtv everywhere, wondering why you didnt just buy a maxima engine in the first place.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

On the surface it looks calm and ready.
The problem is that you need to remove the upper and lower oil pans to *properly* remove and install the outer timing cover,
Then you will need to pull the intake manifold and valve covers to lock the cams down while breaking the exhaust cam bolts loose (Using an impact gun can crack the cam).

At this point you have two naked motors with oil and rtv everywhere, wondering why you didnt just buy a maxima engine in the first place.
Damn there goes my plan. Found a crashed Altima going for $600 with 70k real miles.... But that sounds like it's going to take way to much time lol time to find a destroyed 7th gen maxima as people are selling the engine for way to much with to many damn miles lol
Old 01-15-2020, 09:36 AM

DONT DO IT!!!! Removing these timing covers was one of the worst experiences of my life. I still have nightmares of me getting chased by 22 bolts in a really small space. Scary stuff