7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, New Max, First Time Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM

Newbie, New Max, First Time Mods

Hello all! Newbie to having a Maxima, as well as being a part forums, but with these new experiences I hope to learn much!

Anyway, I just got my 2014 Max SV Premium about 1 week ago and I'm in love. Already wanting to mod it and make it my own. With so many options out there and as an inexperienced person with vehicles myself, I'm just lost as to what is worth the time and money. I guess its all really opinion, but that's exactly what I 'm looking for.

I'll be doing visual mods like rims, headlights, grill and such before I do anything under the hood. But please let me hear what yinz did first, or wish you had done first to your Maximas.

Thanks all!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:55 AM

I Plasti Dipped my wheels first since I like the wheel just not the bright color, then I would say springs and wheel spacers...also depends on what color!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 AM

Welcome to the family!! Tinting the windows are cheap n easy. From there you can swap all of your bulbs for LEDs which is cheap, lower it on eibach springs, and a stillen front lip, have Ghozt hook up your headlights and more. Really, you can't go wrong with anything you do. Our cars look great regardless!! Enjoy!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:53 AM

I hear a lot about Plasti Dip, must be legit. My car is Pearl White with the glass black roof so I wanted to do a black gloss finish to the rims. My question is how well does it hold up on the body, like the grill and or bumper? As well as on the headlight? I was thinking of plasti dipping my own eyelid.
Also, what are spacers for?

And thanks ThinBlue! Is Ghozt a company or person?

I also have very little time on my hands, and even less experience using those same hands for painting, wiring, body work etc. so I'm wondering what things I can get done together at the shop as to lower the labor cost? For instance if they're taking the wheels off replacing springs or something, what else could I have them install or swap for aftermarket in the same area as to eliminate going over the same procedures?

Under the hood I'm guessing aftermarket air intake would be my first option. Then exhaust? What about computer chips, how do they work exactly? I don't see myself installing a turbo anytime in the next 3 years so what else engine wise can I upgrade?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM

whats up good to see someone else on here from Pittsburgh. what part are you from? the first thing I did was tint then wheels then spoiler.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 AM

Ghoztlighting.com
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM

Welcome to the Org Bro. Pittsburgh here too I'm from the East Side
Old 03-21-2014, 04:35 PM

Welcome.

I'd say tint is a good first step. I went 15 in the rear and 25 on the front side windows

Second, an aftermarket rear sway bar is hands down the best bang for your buck upgrade. I went with stillen. There are tons of DIY guides out there, took me under an hour, but if you lack jack stands and such, best to have it done at a shop.

I have an Eibach pro kit, still in the factory sealed box, I'll sell you if you want it. I got it before deciding the snow in the winter in Iowa makes dropping my max not ideal.

Here's the link: http://forums.maxima.org/wheels-tire...achs-tpms.html

Spacers move the wheels out away from the center of the car. Gives the wheels a more flush look, but if you're getting new wheels anyway, best to just get the correct offset in the first place. Spacers are expensive, they can throw off the balance of your wheels, and if you don't torque them correctly, they can wiggle loose.

I'd stay away from air intakes, most people claim that it adds more noise than power. I did a drop-in K&N filter to replace the OEM in the stock air box. Supposedly it adds a few MPG, but if nothing else it saves you from spending money on replacements.

Stillen Front lips, and rear diffusers are pretty sweet too. And there are some nice looking front grills out there too if you google it.

That's enough out of me though, enjoy the ride.

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 03-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM

Welcome!!! Similar to others my motto is to work from the inside out. Tint, LED interior lights, & stereo/speaker upgrades. After that comes rims, drop (Eibach) and with this car a rear sway bar (I went with racingline). Then you have your performance/exhaust and lighting mods which are all subjective as to which order. However, i do agree with those that were not big fans of intakes unless you are doing a true custom cold air intake. Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM

Wow well thanks all. Got plenty of ideas now. First I'm a little disappointed to hear about the intake. I've seen videos of it in Maxmas and to me it just sounds better not louder. Anybody else have an opinion on that? As I've never seen or heard one in person.

Rear sway was a surprise too. Ill have to look into those. Never even considered it initially. Now with a sway bar being installed would it be smart to just get springs installed the ride lowered at the same time. Would that save on labor in a shop or am I just pinching pennies?

I live on the West End and I'll probably start talking to Total Image on 60. Has anybody dealt with them? Or know of a good shop for all my Maxima mod needs .

Great to see people so close! Can't wait to get my ride a little more custom and hope to see some of yinz around.

I attached the best picture I have. Its a little edited to ad more light but I'm sure some will notice where I'm parked.

Newbie, New Max, First Time Mods-forumrunner_20140321_204612.jpg

Newbie, New Max, First Time Mods-forumrunner_20140321_204643.jpg

Newbie, New Max, First Time Mods-forumrunner_20140321_204701.jpg
Old 03-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome! I really like the look of the white with the black roof, great choice!
Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades
Welcome.

I'd say tint is a good first step.

Second, an aftermarket rear sway bar is hands down the best bang for your buck upgrade. I went with stillen. There are tons of DIY guides out there, took me under an hour, but if you lack jack stands and such, best to have it done at a shop.

I have an Eibach pro kit, still in the factory sealed box, I'll sell you if you want it. I got it before deciding the snow in the winter in Iowa makes dropping my max not ideal.

Here's the link:

http://forums.maxima.org/wheels-tire...achs-tpms.html

Spacers move the wheels out away from the center of the car. Gives the wheels a more flush look.

I'd stay away from air intakes, most people claim that it adds more noise than power. I did a K&N filter to replace the OEM in the stock air box. Supposedly it adds a few MPG, but if nothing else it saves you from spending money on replacements.

Stillen Front lips, and rear diffusers are pretty sweet too. And there are some nice looking front grills out there too if you google it.

That's enough out of me though, enjoy the ride.

Asking price of springs?
Old 03-22-2014, 03:30 PM

Rear sway bar and eibach pro kit are a must! I had them put in over the past month. I did the sway bar first and then the springs just so I could feel the difference that each change made. From what I've read on here rear end links are necessary as a final piece of the puzzle to tweak everything just right
Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by VVhite-0ut
Wow well thanks all. Got plenty of ideas now. First I'm a little disappointed to hear about the intake. I've seen videos of it in Maxmas and to me it just sounds better not louder. Anybody else have an opinion on that? As I've never seen or heard one in person.

Rear sway was a surprise too. Ill have to look into those. Never even considered it initially. Now with a sway bar being installed would it be smart to just get springs installed the ride lowered at the same time. Would that save on labor in a shop or am I just pinching pennies?

I live on the West End and I'll probably start talking to Total Image on 60. Has anybody dealt with them? Or know of a good shop for all my Maxima mod needs .

Great to see people so close! Can't wait to get my ride a little more custom and hope to see some of yinz around.

I attached the best picture I have. Its a little edited to ad more light but I'm sure some will notice where I'm parked.

Attachment 5528

Attachment 5529

Attachment 5530
never delt with them im more of a do it your self kinda person. im east of the city in Irwin there is a nice car cruise every Saturday out here. yinzers are coming strong on the org love it
Old 03-22-2014, 09:27 PM

Tint is always first. It's a necessity. Personally I wish I would've done Eibach's sooner. They're great. Sway bar is worth every penny as well. New grill and stillen lip make the front of the car look incredible. I'd start with those things.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ross2893
Asking price of springs?
I'll sell you the brand new Eibach Pro Kit for $220 shipped. I'm also selling a set of M5 wheels with brand new DWS tires on them. Here's a picture of the wheels: Name:  IMG_7918_zps8d031454.png
Views: 2728
Size:  916.3 KB Check out the for-sale page for more info, PM me if interested in either.

Last edited by JakeOfAllTrades; 03-24-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:59 AM

Great thread, im in the same boat, not new to Maxima's, but new 2010 and also novice to car upgrades. Im thinking about the tinting and sway bar, but not sure where to get it done in Columbus. Anyone in the central Ohio area??
Old 03-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JakeOfAllTrades
I'll sell you the brand new Eibach Pro Kit for $220 shipped. I'm also selling a set of M5 wheels with brand new DWS tires on them. Here's a picture of the wheels: Check out the for-sale page for more info, PM me if interested in either.
Wow i'm really digging those wheels I just might have to find me a pair...

*Edit* Exactly what are those wheels?

Last edited by VVhite-0ut; 03-31-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:44 AM

New Owner

Great Post. New 7th Gen owner too, 5th Gen was Totaled :-(....I have a 2011 SV with Premium/Tech Package First Thing I did was get tint, 20% all the way round. Just Plasti-Dipped my Grille, probably do the same to the back emblem. Next I want to get my Bose system upgraded, any tips on what I should get??? Probably wrap things up with a Stillen Lip, Cold Intake, Rear Sway Bar, and new wheels after that. Anything else I should put on my radar guys?? Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kwillz11
Great Post. New 7th Gen owner too, 5th Gen was Totaled :-(....I have a 2011 SV with Premium/Tech Package First Thing I did was get tint, 20% all the way round. Just Plasti-Dipped my Grille, probably do the same to the back emblem. Next I want to get my Bose system upgraded, any tips on what I should get??? Probably wrap things up with a Stillen Lip, Cold Intake, Rear Sway Bar, and new wheels after that. Anything else I should put on my radar guys?? Any help greatly appreciated.
Hey man I like your order of things. All I've done so far is... plan lol. I gotta get it in gear, spring finally poking out a little. Just gets you in that mood to cruise! How does the 20% look for ya man? I'm in PA and around my area I hear cops can be ****s about it. I could imagine myself getting away with 35% as thats what most people here have but how much darker is the 20 really?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Hey man I like your order of things. All I've done so far is... plan lol. I gotta get it in gear, spring finally poking out a little. Just gets you in that mood to cruise! How does the 20% look for ya man? I'm in PA and around my area I hear cops can be ****s about it. I could imagine myself getting away with 35% as thats what most people here have but how much darker is the 20 really?

The 20% is dark but not dark enough to be noticeable around here. Legal is 35% in GA so most police don't bother you unless you have the limo tint. Also I have the super black Max so the tint just looks right as apposed to the contrast on the pearl white which can make it look darker. I'm actually going to finish up the plasti-dip this weekend so I'll post some pictures for you.

Get started soon!! Spring weather is definitely coming, perfect time to show off the SuperMax as I call it lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Exclamation

Alright so I went to my local big boi auto shop. I feel like I want it plasti dipped first. Front, wheels, calipers. So I talked to them about using plasti dip and prices and such and really I just wanted to hear from yinz if what they're telling me sounds decent. Or if I should take the leap and paint it myself?

They do labor for $65 an hour.
Break calipers would be about $75 each. (Also suggested to stay away from yellow... which is the color I was actually considering).
To plasti dip my stock wheels gloss black, he said $50 a wheel but also mentioned that the black gloss actually doesn't come out black? More of a gunmetal?
Estimed time to paint my front bumper and grill, 2 hours.
I asked about opening headlights and painting them/adding angle eyes, he said they'd do it but don't gaurentee that moisture won't get in the lights.

I took my questions about plasti dip to a shop because i've never painted a thing in my life. And between two jobs I hardly have time to sleep let alone prep, paint, and dry something so precious and valuable to me! Please, HELP! What should I do?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM

I took my questions about plasti dip to a shop because i've never painted a thing in my life. And between two jobs I hardly have time to sleep let alone prep, paint, and dry something so precious and valuable to me! Please, HELP! What should I do?
There isn't a huge amount of prep needed with plastidip aside from cleaning beforehand and masking areas. Generally 4-6 coats are recommended with 10-15 minutes needed in between coats. If you mess up or don't like how it turns out, removal is super easy, which is the reason people choose it over traditional paint for many types of projects. Get tired of a color? Remove the old plastidip and do it again! I'd highly recommend getting a can or two and trying something small before you pay the labor to have someone else do it for you, as it's not that tough and can be pretty rewarding. There are also tons of tutorials on YouTube (Fonzie from DipYourCar has a ton alone that I actually liked) that tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

Last edited by tonydatigeryo; 04-04-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Welcome and congrat
Old 04-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks tonydatigeryo for the input. I'm going to play with plasti dip a little before I make a decision. But while on the topic... I was just about to order a billet grill and realized I can get a silver one for 60 or a black on for 120... this grill could be my first play with plasti dip and that could be nice. But I'm wondering if the radiator would be too hot for plasti dip to be that close to it? Should I get the silver and dip it or get the black one and be done with it all together?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM

FYI, the plastidip isn't ALWAYS easy to remove. I'm fighting it on my wheels right now (finished two wheels after a couple hours of work--driving around lopsided for a couple days until I have time to finish the job lol). Make sure you spray several coats of the stuff. If you don't coat it thick enough then it won't all peel off together. Personally I'll never use it again. A pain in the butt to remove (not always, but it has been for me), and never quite looks as good as paint does.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Serpent
FYI, the plastidip isn't ALWAYS easy to remove. I'm fighting it on my wheels right now (finished two wheels after a couple hours of work--driving around lopsided for a couple days until I have time to finish the job lol). Make sure you spray several coats of the stuff. If you don't coat it thick enough then it won't all peel off together. Personally I'll never use it again. A pain in the butt to remove (not always, but it has been for me), and never quite looks as good as paint does.
Why don't you just order the plasti dip removal from dipyourcar.com ???
Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There were a couple of spots on my son's car that we had a hard time taking the PlastiDip off, so I know exactly what your talking about. After we took it off, we put vinyl in his roof. Car looks very nice now.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Just getting started...

Well, since I started this thread I've plasti dipped the wheels and added a black billet grill. Grill was easy to install but I bent it (somehow idk, came shipped perfect, I set it down, turned around to install and noticed the bend DOH!, hopefully an easy fix). It's looks good from a side angle but straight on, on my white max it's just transparent. You see right through to the big white middle bracket... and can kinda see the radiator. So I'm going to dip the bracket, get a friend to help me remove radiator and paint black too. Solves that.

Plasti dip on the wheels, as it's my first time, looks good! However I was not generous enough with the dip, and also had a few spray mistakes. So I'm going to re-do them soon, and add the glossifier this time. I like the black wheels on the white car but I don't care for the matte look. Needs a shine!

I'll post pics next week when I fix all that up. I'm installing head/taillight tint tonight hopefully as well. See how Pearl comes together by the end of April!

Here's her first picture up in Mt. Washington overlooking downtown Pitt. Georgeous...

Name:  EditedPearlMax_zpsc2c27b31.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  70.1 KB
Old 05-22-2014, 05:19 AM

Updates!

Alright so time has flew by since I've owned my Maxima. Always thinking about her... what she'd look good in... the way she feels... sounds...

Anyway I re-did my wheels and added gloss to the back to see what the difference would be. And none from what I can tell really. I mean you gotta be up on the wheels looking at them to notice a difference.

I also just got my car back from theshop. 35% around except windshield and some tailight tint. It took them 3 days, which was annoying. And they messed up on the right tail light. Looks like somebody scratched it, I'll post pics tomorrow. But the shop said they ordered another tail light, and they'll tint it and I can just stop by for a quick swap and that's that.

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I'm trying to find two dry days to paint the calipers red. Can't wait to see her come together!
Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 AM

welcome!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
welcome!
Thanks!

Here are a few pictures. I did the front calipers red yesterday. Plan on finishing the back today. The more I look at my car the more I NEED wheels. In person, the 18" stocks aren't horrible... but you can't tell what's going on from a distance or in a picture. Just looks like a black hole. I don't like it so I've been looking at http://ver1.iconfigurators.com/creat...tire=0&size=18 thinking 19's as too have more space to see calipers.

Name:  RedPearl2_zpsa56859d1.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  RedPearlNOPLATE_zps5479c714.jpg
Views: 5480
Size:  103.8 KB

Moving on, I've got so many ideas on the back burner. Between those ^^^ wheels, front lip and either diffuser or window spoiler, or to start the exhaust. Ooo can't say I'm upset about it though lol. I LOVE this car.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:33 AM

Thanks!

Here are a few pictures. I did the front calipers red yesterday. Plan on finishing the back today. The more I look at my car the more I NEED wheels. In person, the 18" stocks aren't horrible... but you can't tell what's going on from a distance or in a picture. Just looks like a black hole. I

Moving on, I've got so many ideas on the back burner. Between those ^^^ wheels, front lip and either diffuser or window spoiler, or to start the exhaust. Ooo can't say I'm upset about it though lol. I LOVE this car.
Bro its looking good, I posted a couple of pics myself on my thread. I'm doing the plasti dip myself and its definitely inexpensive but it is time consuming I am trying to find the time this weekend to finish the rest of the chrome trim this rain and humidity isn't helping though
Old 05-23-2014, 03:53 PM

Looking good, man! Keep it up!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:05 PM

Here's what mine looks like with 20s and rear diffuser
http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/co...brary/my%20car
Old 05-24-2014, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2011maximapa
Here's what mine looks like with 20s and rear diffuser
http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/co...brary/my%20car
Good grill choice man! but you gotta do something about the white showing up behind it. I plasti dipped my middle brace and the perimeter of the grill that shows up behind. Gives it a much cleaner look broski. Well worth a few hours.

And that diffuser looks GOOD! But I like the way the bottom of her a** looks stock which is making it hard to decide if I want that or not! And if it should be white or black! I really like the black it looks nice on that set up. And the blue calipers, well done sir.

Do you have spacers and what's the offset if so? How about those back tires, they any bigger for the concave?
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM

Welcome to the .Org! Pearl White is the best!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Question and I dont mean to hijack this thread

has anyone seen a DIY for converting low beam halogen to hid?

If so could someone point me in the right direction
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM

Good grill choice man! but you gotta do something about the white showing up behind it. I plasti dipped my middle brace and the perimeter of the grill that shows up behind. Gives it a much cleaner look broski. Well worth a few hours.

And that diffuser looks GOOD! But I like the way the bottom of her a** looks stock which is making it hard to decide if I want that or not! And if it should be white or black! I really like the black it looks nice on that set up. And the blue calipers, well done sir.

Do you have spacers and what's the offset if so? How about those back tires, they any bigger for the concave?
first thank you for your comments.
No spacers and yes rear wheels are more concave than front due to be a staggered set up. Front are 9" rim with 245 wide and rear are 10" rim with 275 wide.
If I ever head out towards Pitt I'll look ya up you seem decent