8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

What do Paddle Shifters do with a CVT transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 03:23 PM

What do Paddle Shifters do with a CVT transmission

Are these purely a gimmick with CVT or does it change the way the computer interacts with the CVT and "fake" shift?
Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM

On my 2009 I used the paddle mode when in snow so I could downshift or stay in lower gears. I never used it as an acceleration thing. Its like a manual but it overrides if you don't shift correctly I believe. Just FYI I don't care at all that they are gone from most of the trims in the 2016 I believe.

Last edited by mls277; 06-21-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:31 PM

But there are no gears with a CVT?
Old 06-21-2015, 03:48 PM

It's pseudo bs that serves no real function
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by scottatl
But there are no gears with a CVT?
Not technically - but there are an infinite number of ratios. The only thing I have ever used mine for are down shifting (to a lower ratio) in preparation for passing.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:28 PM

I used the paddles every day on my 2012 SV. You can have fun with a good sporty drive and keep your hands on the steering wheel to "shift" the ratios back and forth...instead of using the shifter in the console. I had lots of fun on the curvy roads of the AR Ozarks and Ouachita Mtns. Also had fun driving up and down Pike's Peak using them.

However...they do the same thing as the manual mode on the shifter in the center console...but you need to take a hand off the wheel then. Most of the time I did just use them to down shift for curves and slowing down more aggressively before using the brakes. I am also glad they are not mounted to the wheel but on the column. That way they are in the same place all time...and can still use them when turning...with both hands still touching the wheel because the paddles are large.

I'll likely be buying the SR in the future...this is one of the reasons. The other reasons is I will be keeping my 2015 Murano Platinum...so the lack of sunroof is a non issue for me. If I want a luxury ride with a large sunroof...that Murano will be parked beside my new SR Maxima.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:34 PM

we need to come up with a replacement "word" for shifting cause technically that's not whats happening..
Old 06-21-2015, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
we need to come up with a replacement "word" for shifting cause technically that's not whats happening..
Well...shifting between ratios or changing between ratios is what is occurring. What's not happening is shifting between fixed gears...but a shift in transmission speed ratio is technically happening.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by zoemayne
The official term for it is "D-Step".

Everyone complaining about it needs to blame all the whiners that say a CVT feels broken because it doesn't shift. Also it doesn't do it while driving normally around town anyway, only if you are accelerating quickly. And 100% throttle it doesn't do it either.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 AM

The paddles (and console 'shifter') enable those adventuresome souls amongst us to have a little fun with a tranny that is designed primarily for high fuel efficiency. These 'shifters' can be use to enhance engine braking, invoke higher rpms when brisk acceleration is desired, etc, etc.

Neither the paddle shifters or console shift stick give faster accelleration than simply leaving the tranny in plain Drive all the time. But they do offer an opportunity to try things, and feel we at least have some control over things.

By working at it very attentively, we can learn to drive the car better in plain old 'Drive' than simply pressing the accelerator. Keeping an eye on the tach is the key.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 AM

Welcome back Light!!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 PM
cnp

In "paddle" shifting a CVT (in the case of my 2016 Maxima SL, the shift lever steps left for 'manual' control), a computer controls the position of the two CVT pulleys, changing engine drive shaft input vs wheel output in increments instead of continuously as in normal mode. The effect is exactly the same whether fixed gears are used or this - I can hold it in 'first', shift it, and so on. Was a little more fun in my 6MT Acura TL, and I could shift faster, but this isn't bad if that's what you want to do.

Originally Posted by scottatl
Are these purely a gimmick with CVT or does it change the way the computer interacts with the CVT and "fake" shift?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:33 PM

They are BS. The faux shifts were added because the high RPM drone would be too obnoxious. The HP sweet spot on this revised VQ is a lofty 6k+ RPM so they can also keep you away from the peak power at the expense of less NVH.

I will say that gauging by reviews, the new Maxima probably has one of the best CVTs available (if not the best). But that's like being the smartest kid in a special class.

Hopefully, we'll get a proper trans with a NISMO version but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

IMHO they should have delayed the new Max until the new 3.0TT powerplant came into production. The Q50 can get the 3.0TT (and optional 2.0T) and the Max should have taken it's current 3.7 RWD configuration. Before you all start to gripe about price- the Q50 can be had at the same price (if not cheaper) than the SR version. So it could have made sense (especially when you consider how it would have eaten into all 4door competitors' sales). Wishful thinking.

/rant

Edit- grammar

Last edited by 95VQ30; 06-25-2015 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:57 PM

95VQ30 - If it ain't FWD, it ain't a Maxima. RWD may be better for seriously aggressive driving, but FWD is safer in a family sedan, especially in incliment weather. Also gives a smaller hump in rear seat floor, so grandkids are more comfortable.

Those preferring RWD are served by Nissan in the form of Infinitis.

The CVT also gives the Maxima a fuel economy edge.

Of course, a Nismo Maxima could legitimately have any configuration, but I don't think Nissan would swallow the cost involved in any major change such as RWD.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:36 PM

^
RWD wouldn't make sense in the category the Maxima competes against imo but a AWD system would give it a total edge. The AWD would also give it some identity and reason to buy over the Altima.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Welcome back Light!!
Thanks gizzsdad. I was away from all internet (and civilization) for a week, but spent a lot of that time planning my approach to purchasing my 8th gen.

I am a little surprised the new cars are a tad slow in arriving at dealers, but am patient.

I want to see the silver and white in person before making a final decision on color.

I want to see if the trouble one tester had with the cashmere seats wearing and staining is prevalent.

I want to see which 'factory installed' options could be installed by my local dealer.

I want to see if any of the three dealers nearest me are accepting the Nissan Friends and Family discount documentation yet.

The three dealers I use have all replaced their internet managers since I purchased my '09, so will need to make a decision which one to work with.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Upon returning from my trip, I had a FedEx box outside my garage with Datsun and Nissan paraphenalia from a friend with Nissan in Tennessee. What a very nice gesture. I wore the beautiful Datsun shirt to Oz Pizza last night. Life is good.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-26-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:52 PM

After test driving the SR, I bought one due to the responsiveness of the paddle shifters. They are spot on. The only time the shifters have defaulted back to AT is when I stopped in "4th" . Other than that, they shift when I want them to. I drive in manual a lot. It mimics a 7 speed transmission. And I do understand that it mimics. I'm not taking this thing to a track to run laps. It serves my needs well and is fun to drive.

I like the smoothness of the cvt as well. It is a family sedan with a sport edge.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by nbwalton2
After test driving the SR, I bought one due to the responsiveness of the paddle shifters. They are spot on. The only time the shifters have defaulted back to AT is when I stopped in "4th" . Other than that, they shift when I want them to. I drive in manual a lot. It mimics a 7 speed transmission. And I do understand that it mimics. I'm not taking this thing to a track to run laps. It serves my needs well and is fun to drive.

I like the smoothness of the cvt as well. It is a family sedan with a sport edge.
You have approached this 2016 Maxima with logic, understanding and common sense. You understand what the 8th gen Maxima is all about, and you accept it for exactly what it is. You are going to enjoy this fine car.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You have approached this 2016 Maxima with logic, understanding and common sense. You understand what the 8th gen Maxima is all about, and you accept it for exactly what it is. You are going to enjoy this fine car.
Just like McDonald's. I'm loving it!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The paddles (and console 'shifter') enable those adventuresome souls amongst us to have a little fun with a tranny that is designed primarily for high fuel efficiency. These 'shifters' can be use to enhance engine braking, invoke higher rpms when brisk acceleration is desired, etc, etc.

Neither the paddle shifters or console shift stick give faster accelleration than simply leaving the tranny in plain Drive all the time. But they do offer an opportunity to try things, and feel we at least have some control over things.

By working at it very attentively, we can learn to drive the car better in plain old 'Drive' than simply pressing the accelerator. Keeping an eye on the tach is the key.
very well stated. the chief benefit for me with the paddle shifters is that they allow me to quickly control the RPMs for fast passing maneuvers. my last car had a 7-speed dual clutch, and this will never be that. but it's fine for a large "sporty" family sedan.