8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 04:47 PM

2016 Maxima spoiler

2016 Maxima sport spoiler on ebay -$290 +sh
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Nissan-Maxima-Super-Black-Sport-Rear-Spoiler-Genuine-OEM-Brand-New-/201385530230?fits=Year%3A2016%7CMake%3ANissan%7CModel%3AMaxima&hash=item2ee3835376&vxp=mtrI see some metal rods, kind a clips included with the spoiler. Anyone have more info about installing spoiler on 8th Gen.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Caution.

Spoilers are not Plug and Play. If you don't already have the electrical run from the factory you'll need to do that when you install. I had the dealer install as part of my deal and was able to get them to let me watch the install. Took a while and they had to disassemble a lot of the trunk to get it in.

I'd spend the money to have the dealer do it unless you have the know-how.

My $0.02
Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM

I know 7th. gen. Maxima with factory installed spoiler come without HMSL (high mounted stop light). When you do install by dealer or by yourself there's was a option to install cover, so I did with my Maxima. What about 8th gen. When I check some pics from dealer's websites look like cars with spoiler come with HMSL , but I don't know spoiler was factory or dealer installed.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by tommy20020
I know 7th. gen. Maxima with factory installed spoiler come without HMSL (high mounted stop light). When you do install by dealer or by yourself there's was a option to install cover, so I did with my Maxima. What about 8th gen. When I check some pics from dealer's websites look like cars with spoiler come with HMSL , but I don't know spoiler was factory or dealer installed.
When a Maxima leaves the factory, if it has a spoiler installed by the factory, it will have the HMBL (High Mounted Brake Light) on the spoiler, with the space inside the rear window where the HMBL normally sits covered over. Nissan also furnishes kits for use in covering that spot inside the rear window over for use by dealer or any other party installing a spoiler with HMBL after the car has left the factory.

This will be true for all Maxima generations.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-01-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
When a Maxima leaves the factory, if it has a spoiler installed by the factory, it will have the HMBL (High Mounted Brake Light) on the spoiler, with the space inside the rear window where the HMBL normally sits covered over. Nissan also furnishes kits for use in covering that spot inside the rear window over for use by dealer or any other party installing a spoiler with HMBL after the car has left the factory.

This will be true for all Maxima generations.
Looks like Nissan quit doing this with 8th.gen. I just watch Maxima assembly video on youtube and car definitely comes with spoiler and HMSL installed. (10min 52sec of video)
Old 08-02-2015, 04:02 PM

Looks like Nissan quit doing this with 8th.gen. I just watch Maxima assembly video on youtube and car definitely comes with spoiler and HMSL installed. (10min 52sec of video)
We may be tilting at windmills here. Are you saying the 2016 Maxima with spoiler installed at the factory comes with the HMBL already installed on the SPOILER (as it always has) or in the REAR WINDOW, as it always has when the car does NOT have a factory installed spoiler?

The key here is that, with the 8th gen, nothing has changed with the way Nissan has always handled the HMBL on cars leaving the factory. If there is a spoiler, the HMBL will always be on the spoiler only. If there is no spoiler, the HMBL will, of course, be in the rear window.

Much confusion has evolved over the years by the fact most Maximas leave the factory with no spoiler and the HMBL in the rear window. Then many dealers immediately throw on a spoiler and some don't bother to remove the HMBL in the rear window. Additionally, many owners add a spoiler after buying the car, and many don't bother to remove the HMBL in the rear window.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:34 PM

We may be tilting at windmills here. Are you saying the 2016 Maxima with spoiler installed at the factory comes with the HMBL already installed on the SPOILER (as it always has) or in the REAR WINDOW, as it always has when the car does NOT have a factory installed spoiler?

The key here is that, with the 8th gen, nothing has changed with the way Nissan has always handled the HMBL on cars leaving the factory. If there is a spoiler, the HMBL will always be on the spoiler only. If there is no spoiler, the HMBL will, of course, be in the rear window.

Much confusion has evolved over the years by the fact most Maximas leave the factory with no spoiler and the HMBL in the rear window. Then many dealers immediately throw on a spoiler and some don't bother to remove the HMBL in the rear window. Additionally, many owners add a spoiler after buying the car, and many don't bother to remove the HMBL in the rear window.
I just took the pictures today on dealer's lot. 2016 Maxima SR with factory installed spoiler comes with HMBL installed in the rear window.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:19 PM

I bought an SR with the factory (not dealer) installed black sport spoiler (which has an LED brake light incorporated into it). My car also came with a functioning HMBL, which was puzzling to me as it just looks bad to have both the HMBL and the spoiler brake light working. I asked the Nissan service department to disable the rear window HMBL. They popped it open and pulled out a cord. 5 minute fix.

Here's a picture that another SR owner posted showing both the rear window HMBL and the factory installed spoiler brake light working in conjunction.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 AM

WOW! I now see exactly what tommy20020 is asking about. And I don't blame him for asking. In view of what we are seeing in his photos and charleybrown's photo, his question makes perfect sense. In answer to his original question, it is now clear that Nissan is assembling 2016 Maximas with two HMBLs. That is a first for me. And in further answering his question, Nissan has always had an inexpensive kit available so that the rear window HMBL can be removed and the opening covered if a spoiler with a HMBL was later added to the car. I'm sure this kit will be available for the 8th gen Maxima.

Is this the first time Nissan has released new Maximas to the dealer with BOTH rear window HMBL AND spoiler HMBL? That is not a setup that most drivers will like. The fact dealers can disable the rear window one is beside the point. The car should not be leaving the factory with two HMBLs.

I apologize to tommy20020 for not understanding his question. I was thinking in terms of what Nissan has done in the past, and the way things should be. But tommy20020 was asking about what he was actually seeing with his own eyes.

In the photo charleybrown posted just ahead of this one, the Maxima in front has TWO HMBLs glowing, but the Prius in the lane to the right has only the HMBL in the spoiler glowing, and the rear window one properly removed (if it even had one to begin with).

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-03-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:49 AM

My SR also came from the factory with the spoiler, and has both the spoiler light and the rear window light. If there will be an easy way to remove the rear window light and cover over that area, Ill be all over it!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 AM

The problem with the 7th gen was it was near impossible to get the piece of cardboard and cloth from Nissan, it was never in stock. I had tried for over a year. I hope they are better prepared this time around.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:57 AM

I'd like to see the diffuser accessory added to those SRs that are not black as it looks to me like the black spoiler is out of place on cars that are not black. I think the diffuser option would help make the the sport spoiler look less like it was thrown on as an afterthought.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:34 AM

I'm SO SO SO glad someone asked this...I JUST noticed this on my car this past weekend and was going to start a new thread...VERY shocked and disappointed that there's both here...this has always been one my biggest pet peeves. I think it looks very tacky...so how do we fix this??

Old 08-03-2015, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by djenkins
My SR also came from the factory with the spoiler, and has both the spoiler light and the rear window light. If there will be an easy way to remove the rear window light and cover over that area, Ill be all over it!
I'll be asking my dealer about this come oil change time...
Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 AM

My 7th gen came with a factory installed spoiler (SV Sport) which I believe only the sport models come with, and there is no light assy on the rear deck. Does the 8th gen have a model that will always come with the spoiler from the factory? or is the spoiler now an option on every trim model that has to be asked for by the customer? It might be that all 8th gen models are assembled without spoiler and are built with the rear deck light, then someone decides to add a spoiler and there is no option of removing the read deck light.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
The problem with the 7th gen was it was near impossible to get the piece of cardboard and cloth from Nissan, it was never in stock. I had tried for over a year. I hope they are better prepared this time around.
I got more luck with the cover for my 7th gen, but took about 3 months in 2011 to finally get it.
It is really piece of cardboard and cloth over it but in my opinion car with spoiler look way better with HMBL removed.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:26 PM

Just tint over the break light in the rear window and disconnect the bulb... problem solved!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM
cnp

On adding an OEM or aftermarket spoiler, do note sometimes a car will have a higher torsioned trunk spring as part of the set up. This was true with my Acura TL for a wing spoiler, not the lip. If was added, you needed to install the bigger spring too unless you liked your trunk to close hard.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by cnp
On adding an OEM or aftermarket spoiler, do note sometimes a car will have a higher torsioned trunk spring as part of the set up. This was true with my Acura TL for a wing spoiler, not the lip. If was added, you needed to install the bigger spring too unless you liked your trunk to close hard.
The first time I faced this was on my 1978 Datsun 200SX. Fortunately, Nissan (which built all Datsuns) had a kit (with stiffer springs) for adding the spoiler.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
My 7th gen came with a factory installed spoiler (SV Sport) which I believe only the sport models come with, and there is no light assy on the rear deck. Does the 8th gen have a model that will always come with the spoiler from the factory? or is the spoiler now an option on every trim model that has to be asked for by the customer? It might be that all 8th gen models are assembled without spoiler and are built with the rear deck light, then someone decides to add a spoiler and there is no option of removing the read deck light.
I think the spoiler is an added option on every level of the 2016 Maxima. The ones here who have two HMBLs seem to be SL owners, which will have the Sport spoiler. I wonder if non-SL cars getting the normal (car color coordinated non-sport) spoiler at the factory still have the HMBL in the rear window?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:55 PM

I got more luck with the cover for my 7th gen, but took about 3 months in 2011 to finally get it.
It is really piece of cardboard and cloth over it but in my opinion car with spoiler look way better with HMBL removed.
Definitely a cleaner look with only one. For me, having two detracts from the effect of the spoiler.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM

Definitely a cleaner look with only one. For me, having two detracts from the effect of the spoiler.
Crazy that this issue has been an issue with many since the 3rd gen (89 model yr), seems as if product management has not learned a thing. I remember when 3rd gen GXE owners where complaining about the same thing mentioned earlier in this thread!
Old 08-04-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Crazy that this issue has been an issue with many since the 3rd gen (89 model yr), seems as if product management has not learned a thing. I remember when 3rd gen GXE owners where complaining about the same thing mentioned earlier in this thread!
Agree. I don't like to criticize my favorite car company, but I feel somebody is not talking to somebody somewhere in Franklin or Smyrna.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Anyone have an opinion on putting a black premium spoiler on a white platinum? I'm not that I like the sport spoiler on the platinum and the premium color matched doesn't really stand out.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JoeWhit
Anyone have an opinion on putting a black premium spoiler on a white platinum? I'm not that I like the sport spoiler on the platinum and the premium color matched doesn't really stand out.
JoeWhit, check out the thread Pearl White SR Photos. You will at least get an idea of what one looks like on white.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:33 AM

2016 Maxima spoiler

I think it would look sharp!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just took the pictures today on dealer's lot. 2016 Maxima SR with factory installed spoiler comes with HMBL installed in the rear window.

I had the dealer check into this for me when I ordered my Platinum. Like all here I assumed a factory installed spoiler would eliminate the deck light. NOT SO on the 2016 - factory rep said all Maximas will come with the deck light whether there is a spoiler installed or not - waiting for an accessory fix I guess...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 AM

Not to be a *****, but the correct (official government) term for the stop light in the rear window is "CHMSL" ... Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Not to be a *****, but the correct (official government) term for the stop light in the rear window is "CHMSL" ... Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp.
Thanks for the clarification....
Old 02-25-2016, 03:49 PM

Any more information on the delete kit? And I made sure they tinted down past mine at least. Just need to disconnect the plug from it now.

**Update for those wanting to do this** I ordered mine from my dealer today painted to match for $240 + tax. It was $301 on their online site, but they honored the 20% off of parts coupon they had listed on their site. Ordered today and will be in tomorrow!

Last edited by lowriderman3; 02-26-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:51 PM

Guys does the '16 SL come with the wiring already under the trunk hood to be able to have both rear window AND spoiler light on at same time?
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 AM

2017 with Spoiler

Hi Guys,

Fresh Newbie here!! Just an FYI, we just purchased a 2017 Platinum. It came from the factory with the spoiler and the 3rd brake light in the rear windshield was blanked off. I'm guessing that Nissan now has it set up to automatically blank it off if the factory spoiler is installed at the manufacturing plant. I was happy as I personally don't like the look of having two 3rd brake lights.

Hope this info was helpful.

Regards,
Lou
2017 Platinum w/Madallion package and SR wheels

No brake light on rear window deck

Last edited by 17BBMax; 08-25-2016 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 2016 SR Midnight Edition and it also has no CHMSL with just the blanking plate.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:57 AM

Wonder if we can get a part # for the plate?
Old 08-26-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by mpbclutch33
Wonder if we can get a part # for the plate?
I would love to get part number as well. I have disconnected my HMBL and the back window is tinted, but would love the more clean look of removing it all together and having that plate in place.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:21 PM

Ditto! I might be taking mine out when I get my spoiler...
Old 09-18-2016, 06:27 AM

So I just got my spoiler from the dealer which has a new trunk seal and torsion springs included. Now I'm curious if that is a thicker type seal or the same? Anyone know for sure the purpose?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by MyMax1
So I just got my spoiler from the dealer which has a new trunk seal and torsion springs included. Now I'm curious if that is a thicker type seal or the same? Anyone know for sure the purpose?
I'm not certain about the seal, however I'm curious to know if the new torsion bars allow the trunk to go completely up when you open it with the remote. Our trunk with the factory installed spoiler only opens up about 1/3 of the way. I don't remember if any of the non-spoiler trunks on the cars we test drove went up to fully open when we tried them. It would be a little nicer if the trunk would go all the way up.

Please keep us updated

Thanks,
Lou
Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 17BBMax
I'm not certain about the seal, however I'm curious to know if the new torsion bars allow the trunk to go completely up when you open it with the remote. Our trunk with the factory installed spoiler only opens up about 1/3 of the way. I don't remember if any of the non-spoiler trunks on the cars we test drove went up to fully open when we tried them. It would be a little nicer if the trunk would go all the way up.
Mine without the spoiler only goes up 1/3.

Honestly the only car I've owned in recent times (past 4-6 years) which fully popped open was my first BMW. It had very advanced springs which would raise it slowly as to not smack into people's body/head/etc. I've had about 10 cars in that timeframe, not including 3 SUV's, so a small sample.

My second BMW had a power trunk which obviously went up all the way, and had the foot under-bumper-trick like the 2017 Pathfinder.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by lindros2
Mine without the spoiler only goes up 1/3.
Thanks Lindros! I guess that means mine is working as designed. Much appreciated!

Lou

Quick Reply: 2016 Maxima spoiler