8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

BOSE Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015 | 07:05 AM

BOSE Sound System

Hey guys - Just out of curiosity, how are people liking the BOSE system in their '16 Maximas? I have heard negative things about BOSE in previous models but I can't really find a review of how the new system stacks up. Those that have it, are you pleased with it?
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:28 AM

In the past the Bose name has been known for their marketing and not their sound.
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
In the past the Bose name has been known for their marketing and not their sound.
Totally understand that. Just didn't know if sounds was decent in the '16. Looking for any feedback from current owners.
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:37 AM

I can't complain. I needed to move the volume from the rear speakers more toward the front to get a better drivers experience.Not knowing what the base sound system sounds like you can't compare. Besides it comes with the SL package.

Last edited by mrgooch; 07-29-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've had the Bose system on my previous cars but didn't spring for it in the 2016 SV and I regret it. Say what you will about marketing, they do a pretty good job of a sound stage in a small area. I've already replaced a few speakers trying to get better sound for less than the upgrade and am not satisfied yet. I test drove the models with the Bose system just to demo the stereo (my wife thought I was ridiculous.) It's not going to rattle your bones or the car next to you but the imaging for the driver as well as the overall tone is good.
Old 07-29-2015 | 09:01 AM

Best sound I've ever had in a vehicle (second best was my 1995 Maxima which was also Bose). The premium stereo option is worth every penny in my book.
Old 07-29-2015 | 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
I can't complain. I needed to move the volume from the rear speakers more toward the front to get a better drivers experience.Not knowing what the base sound system sounds like you can't compare. Besides it comes with the SL package.
Instead of shifting the speakers to the front, try activating the 'Bose Driver Focus' option in the settings menu (it's not called that, but something similar -- it's at the bottom of the menu, you have to scroll down to see it).

The effect is pretty amazing. If you're generally the only one in the vehicle I suggest you turn it on and leave it that way.
Old 07-29-2015 | 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shmoopy
Instead of shifting the speakers to the front, try activating the 'Bose Driver Focus' option in the settings menu (it's not called that, but something similar -- it's at the bottom of the menu, you have to scroll down to see it).

The effect is pretty amazing. If you're generally the only one in the vehicle I suggest you turn it on and leave it that way.
Good to hear. I appreciate you sharing. Need to be able to crank up Radio Disney for my daughter
Old 07-29-2015 | 03:31 PM

I have not seen any setting called 'Bose Driver Focus' or anything close to it in my maxima.

For me the sound is ok, nothing out of this world. There is something called Bose Centerpoint and when I play a cd with this ON ( have only been able to turn it on with a cd) the sound is 100 times better.
Old 07-29-2015 | 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I have not seen any setting called 'Bose Driver Focus' or anything close to it in my maxima.

For me the sound is ok, nothing out of this world. There is something called Bose Centerpoint and when I play a cd with this ON ( have only been able to turn it on with a cd) the sound is 100 times better.
Scroll two items past Centerpoint and you'll see what I'm referring to. I don't have the name right but that's what it does.
Old 07-29-2015 | 04:38 PM

Scroll two items past Centerpoint and you'll see what I'm referring to. I don't have the name right but that's what it does.
I tried it and don't like it.It cranks the bass way down until it vibrates.
Old 07-29-2015 | 06:01 PM

The Bose system does a fine job pumping in that engine noise.

In terms of a nice balance of clarity and bass, the system is more than enough for my meager needs.
Old 07-29-2015 | 07:52 PM

BOSE Sound System

I think the sound is great in my Maxima
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by adamgalazka
I think the sound is great in my Maxima

Me too. "Driver's Audio Stage" works very well.
Old 07-29-2015 | 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
Me too. "Driver's Audio Stage" works very well.
That's the name of the effect!

I couldn't recall it and didn't have time in a busy family man's evening to go out to the garage, start up the car and find the proper name. Thank you!

Stunningly good stereo in this vehicle.

P.S. If just using that function is vibrating the car with bass, then either the bass setting is too high or something in the vehicle is loose.
Old 07-30-2015 | 09:45 AM

That's the name of the effect!

I couldn't recall it and didn't have time in a busy family man's evening to go out to the garage, start up the car and find the proper name. Thank you!

Stunningly good stereo in this vehicle.

P.S. If just using that function is vibrating the car with bass, then either the bass setting is too high or something in the vehicle is loose.

I checked last night, and I had already turned this on before. The sound is much better with it than without, but for me the sound is adequate, not anything to write home about.

My wife bought a new VW beetle about 3 months ago and the sound is much much better in her car than mine. Of course the cabin size might have to do with this, but I enjoy her car sound more than mine.
Old 07-30-2015 | 01:57 PM

Erase whatever I said about the sound being just average.

Today I prepared a usb with all my music and turned Bose CenterPoint on and the sound was phenomenal!
Old 07-30-2015 | 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
Erase whatever I said about the sound being just average.

Today I prepared a usb with all my music and turned Bose CenterPoint on and the sound was phenomenal!
yup. centerpoint works with bluetooth audio as well, which is why music streaming from my phone sounds quite a bit better than the radio (which centerpoint does not work with).
Old 07-30-2015 | 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by charliebrown
yup. centerpoint works with bluetooth audio as well, which is why music streaming from my phone sounds quite a bit better than the radio (which centerpoint does not work with).
Maybe it's just me... but I hear a huge difference with both centerpoint and driver audio stage when listening to XM/Sirius.

Park the car, turn up the volume and then close your eyes and toggle each on and off.

I am currently keeping both on when driving alone. Sound is stupendous.
Old 07-30-2015 | 08:58 PM

Just had a nice 40 min drive back home from the dealer. Played music via Bluetooth and used Centerpoint... Sound was great! Very pleased with car and stereo 😎
Old 07-31-2015 | 05:50 AM

Maybe it's just me... but I hear a huge difference with both centerpoint and driver audio stage when listening to XM/Sirius.

Park the car, turn up the volume and then close your eyes and toggle each on and off.

I am currently keeping both on when driving alone. Sound is stupendous.

No, it's not just you. I think both the centerpoint and driver audio stage sound great.
Old 09-04-2015 | 10:55 AM

Man I'm so jealous. I bought the SV to try and save a little money. what a mistake! the sound is Ok, But the car I traded had premium sound and I took it for granted. the stock system just doesn't have any warmth. I guess hitting 110 MPH on the on ramp of the turnpike makes up for it.
Old 09-04-2015 | 12:10 PM

BOSE Sound System

No complaints here
Old 09-09-2015 | 07:32 PM

Sound is great but without driver's audio stage on and bass at max or just a bit less there is definitely rattle in the back. I think it's the pano moonroof. With the sound stage on it's not nearly as noticeable if at all.

Then again I listen to music with heavy bass and always max it out with volume around 35 (out of 40 I think) when driving alone.
Old 09-10-2015 | 05:57 AM

I also bought an SV to save some money. I don't think the non-Bose is that bad at all. Not a lot of adjustability but way better than my wife's Kia Optima, my Old Nissan Frontier and Nissan Altima Coupe too. I may look into upgrading the speakers later.
Old 01-17-2016 | 06:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The sound quality is awesome. Use a USB with 328kbps MP3 files and you will see what i mean. Love the sound in my car!!
Old 01-17-2016 | 07:13 AM
Dab

i love it, even when i connect my ipod thru bluetooth, it still thumps
Old 02-08-2016 | 09:34 AM

I'm really enjoying the 11 speaker Bose system in my SR. I do wish it had more oomph in the lower range, so I'm looking to add a cheap amp/sub combo. Has anyone taken the head unit out or know if there are RCA jacks / remote wire connections on it ? I tried looking for a guide on how to remove/work on the stereo but haven't found one yet.

Also - I am coming from a 2008 Altima Coupe with the Bose system. that one was pretty mediocre, the one in the Maxima is definitely a lot better.
Old 02-14-2016 | 06:13 PM

I think the sound is exceptional. Don't listen to much radio but can't complain one bit how the Bose system handles the music I play through USB and my phone...
Old 04-23-2016 | 04:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just adding my 2 cents here, but I disagree with most of the sentiments here in regards to sound quality.
To me, the Bose Premium sound system is not exceptional. The lows and mid-lows are lacking and mid range is just ok. Of course, that is personal preference and subjective.
I think it is hard to argue that controls are lacking, with only a bass and treble adjustment. If you listen through a USB device, you can use the EQ on that though.
Another thing I am not pleased with is the fact that as you adjust the volume, the sound equalization changes. For example, if you adjust the bass to a good level on 1/4 volume, it softens significantly when you raise the volume to 1/3 or higher.

Again, just my opinion
Old 04-28-2016 | 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by corpdecker
I'm really enjoying the 11 speaker Bose system in my SR. I do wish it had more oomph in the lower range, so I'm looking to add a cheap amp/sub combo. Has anyone taken the head unit out or know if there are RCA jacks / remote wire connections on it ? I tried looking for a guide on how to remove/work on the stereo but haven't found one yet.

Also - I am coming from a 2008 Altima Coupe with the Bose system. that one was pretty mediocre, the one in the Maxima is definitely a lot better.

I Have recently upgraded my system and removed the head unit to tap into the outputs. Even though I have a non Bose system, the connector header is the same, with some slight differences on the output. There are not RCA connections at the head unit, but you should be able to tap into the leads at the Amp mounted in the trunk. there is also a remote trigger you can tap into at the amp too. Somewhere on the forum here is the complete set of service manuals, which describe the pinouts pretty good.
Old 04-28-2016 | 10:08 PM

Went from 9 speaker Altima Bose -> 8 speaker Maxima standard. Maxima sounds better and the doors and the rear deck aren't rattling. Sat in a Bose unit and the it did have fuller sound. I couldn't justify upgrading to the SL though as I was already over budget. :O
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:30 AM

I took the Bose equipment out of my Platinum. Left the head unit, but replaced all of the speakers with Rockford Punch and RE Pro series. Added a 3Sixty.3 DSP to craft the head output back to flat and reshape with the EQ. Used an RE SA500.5 amp with two 10" Pro subs in a ported box.

NOW it's a beast. You wouldn't believe the difference. Oh, if you do something like this, make sure your use lots of Dynamat so nothing rattles!

Awesome.
Old 04-29-2016 | 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikeq00
I took the Bose equipment out of my Platinum. Left the head unit, but replaced all of the speakers with Rockford Punch and RE Pro series. Added a 3Sixty.3 DSP to craft the head output back to flat and reshape with the EQ. Used an RE SA500.5 amp with two 10" Pro subs in a ported box.

NOW it's a beast. You wouldn't believe the difference. Oh, if you do something like this, make sure your use lots of Dynamat so nothing rattles!

Awesome.
Where all did you lay the Dyna Mat?
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:24 AM

Just an FYI, you can download an app called "EQ 10" and play your music through that which gives you a full range of customization. I am not thrilled with my Platinum Bose system but it works. I added my 12 Fosgate T1 and it works.

I have gone through the whole tear out and custom in my last BMW and will not be doing that again....
Old 04-29-2016 | 07:53 AM

I recently put in two sets Focal Component speakers front and rear and a12" Boston acoustics sub. I'm using an Audison Bit Ten D for signal processing. the sound is way better now! I used the peel and seal from lowe's for sound deadening, and it worked pretty good. how much if the inside of the doors were you able to do? I couldn't get in there very far.
Old 04-29-2016 | 05:46 PM

Aftermarket speakers will sound better- but the Bose is a nice system.
Old 05-03-2016 | 01:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm curious to how the t1 sounds in the Maxima? what did you do to Eliminate the Trunk rattle and does the power effect the electronics in any way? I have a T1 15 and debating stuffing it in the Trunk or just getting something smaller
Old 05-03-2016 | 06:52 AM

My T1 has been in 3 of my cars now since 2007 and still pounds. I have it hooked up to a 600.1 Fosgate. The trunk rattle is an issue but I have not had time to do Dynomat yet. It is not at a point of annoying me but I will be pulling the trunk trim and applying deadener within the month. I used to have 2 T1's and each where pushed from individual 600.1's in my last BMW 5 series and when I did that build, I put 300+ in dynomat.
Old 05-03-2016 | 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I still have two T1s and a T1000amp but with that I had to change battery, alternator...is that T1 straining your battery at all? Sounds like you have a sweet set up! you got any pics?

Quick Reply: BOSE Sound System