8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

"Maxima Flogged"

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 05:58 PM

"Maxima Flogged"

What is your reaction to the latest Car and Driver review?
Old 08-10-2015, 07:53 PM

Link?
Old 08-10-2015, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Blaxima
What is your reaction to the latest Car and Driver review?
Haven't seen a C&D review of the 2016 Maxima since the one two months ago, which had a long thread here. In checking the C&D site, I don't see anything since then. They really liked the 2016, expecially the fact Nissan has 'caged' the long-standing gripe of the CVT tranny having a 'rubber band' effect. They also gave lavish praise to the new interior. They said the 2016 Maxima would please all but that small group of especially demanding drivers (clearly a remark aimed at CVT haters).
Old 08-10-2015, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by R1600Turbo
Link?
Sorry guys, I read the old school paper version. I didn't see a link on the C&D site either. But here is a link to a paid site.... At least you can see the cover.

http://carmagazinepdf.com/carmagazin...mber-2015.html
Old 08-10-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Haven't seen a C&D review of the 2016 Maxima since the one two months ago, which had a long thread here. In checking the C&D site, I don't see anything since then. They really liked the 2016, expecially the fact Nissan has 'caged' the long-standing gripe of the CVT tranny having a 'rubber band' effect. They also gave lavish praise to the new interior. They said the 2016 Maxima would please all but that small group of especially demanding drivers (clearly a remark aimed at CVT haters).
This review takes issue with Nissan's 4DSC label. Someone' got a bug up there.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 PM

The Max really is not high priority car on C/D's nor R/T's list these days, heck R/T has not even bothered with a 1st drive let alone Road test of it yet. M/T did nearly two months ago now. They are all mainly into this mid cycle 2016 Accord although that's packed with plenty of tech as well and the new mid cycle 3 series 340i with the new engine and updates....surprised at that no!

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 08-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Blaxima
Sorry guys, I read the old school paper version. I didn't see a link on the C&D site either. But here is a link to a paid site.... At least you can see the cover.

http://carmagazinepdf.com/carmagazin...mber-2015.html
Blaxima can you snap shot some of the pages and post them here, what did they say pretty much about it?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:39 AM

Can't argue with them if their primary complaint is that the 2016 Maxima does not fit the traditional definition of '4DSC.' It will be many years before some traditionalists begin to grudgingly consider the FWD/CVT powered Maxima as anything more than a very sporty family sedan. And some never will. That will be the case no matter how well the Maxima may perform. That is simply reality, and most folks understand that. Traditions die hard. Some traditions will never die. I can understand and accept that.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:56 AM

Compare the maxima to "sports cars" about 15 years ago. My Z28 had 305hp and it was like an unbelievable amount of power back then. A 300hp sleek low to the ground feeling maxima with a ton of high tech options is a 4DSC in my opinion. Its a matter of the times.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM

You know, I want to read "glowing" and positive reviews about the car I just purchased, but when it comes down to it I just want to be happy with it and enjoy it. So far, I've been more than happy to slide into the drivers seat and drive my new 8th Gen Maxima. It's by far the best car I've ever owned. I love it and I'm going to be proud to drive it over the next few years. I'm so lucky to be able to say I own one. It's a true privilege for me.

Last edited by shrews824; 08-11-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Can't argue with them if their primary complaint is that the 2016 Maxima does not fit the traditional definition of '4DSC.' It will be many years before some traditionalists begin to grudgingly consider the FWD/CVT powered Maxima as anything more than a very sporty family sedan. And some never will. That will be the case no matter how well the Maxima may perform. That is simply reality, and most folks understand that. Traditions die hard. Some traditions will never die. I can understand and accept that.
Nissan does not seem to "get it" that likely VERY few buyers buy because of the 4DSC tag the company loves so much.

Worse, it alienates the automobile journalists who attempt to discredit the car due to the 4DSC emphasis. Why not push it as an upscale, midsize, swiss army knife car..because that is what it is.

It attracted me for its features and performance for a very good price. Nothing else touches it. The 8th gen takes those characteristics to an even higher level. Sell it for what it offers the public and stop the nonsense.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:42 AM

4DSC or not its a great car
Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM

4DSC is a gimmick, just like "wait wait, call within next 5mins ....."
They keep using it, because they don't have a better gimmick.
Seems like Nissan made it a corner stone of their marketing with 7th gen and now even more with 8th gen, where its embossed into head and tail lights.
4DSC is whatever you want it to be, there is no scientific definition of what it represents.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:05 PM

I'm not terribly concerned by the issues they brought up with the 4DSC designation. This part really impressed me:
It's quiet inside, too. At a steady 70 mph we measured 66 decibels, and a full-throttle whack only produces 74 dBA. Indeed, it's quieter than the Mercedes-Benz S550, the epitome of luxury.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by coasterswim
I'm not terribly concerned by the issues they brought up with the 4DSC designation. This part really impressed me:
the 7th gen had an engine sound amplifier included to make the car sound sporty, it piped the noise into cabin. Sounds like they axed that idea on the 8th gen.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by maxud
the 7th gen had an engine sound amplifier included to make the car sound sporty, it piped the noise into cabin. Sounds like they axed that idea on the 8th gen.
Correct me if I'm wrong...Doesn't this occur when you put the 8th gen in "sport mode"?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MplsMadMan
Correct me if I'm wrong...Doesn't this occur when you put the 8th gen in "sport mode"?
I have not read about this feature present in 8th gen max. I remember it was touted when 7th gen came out, so I can only assume its not present. As I don't own the 8th gen, I can't confirm or deny it.
My reply was about making the car quieter than before. Seems like one logical way to accomplish it, is to stop introduction of noise artificially?!
What does LOTH say on this? Did you read anything about engine noise amplifier?
Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 PM

I have not read about this feature present in 8th gen max. I remember it was touted when 7th gen came out, so I can only assume its not present. As I don't own the 8th gen, I can't confirm or deny it.
My reply was about making the car quieter than before. Seems like one logical way to accomplish it, is to stop introduction of noise artificially?!
What does LOTH say on this? Did you read anything about engine noise amplifier?

I own a 2016 Platinum Max but have not yet tried the feature. Here is a quote from an Edmunds review:

"The generous amount of sound insulation is also noticeable, as road and wind noises are well muted. Active noise cancellation on SL and higher-trimmed models helps as well. These trims also feature active sound enhancement when Sport mode is engaged, adding select noises from the engine through the speakers if you're into that sort of thing."
Old 08-11-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MplsMadMan
I own a 2016 Platinum Max but have not yet tried the feature. Here is a quote from an Edmunds review:

"The generous amount of sound insulation is also noticeable, as road and wind noises are well muted. Active noise cancellation on SL and higher-trimmed models helps as well. These trims also feature active sound enhancement when Sport mode is engaged, adding select noises from the engine through the speakers if you're into that sort of thing."
I see. They further refined the feature, by only making it available during certain conditions. This way you can cater to both crowds, those that want the car quieter and those who want the car louder :-) Might as well take it one step further and pipe engine noise from a GTR or Ferrari, this way the S if 4DSC can translate as having sound of Sports car (inside only)
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Ok guys I read the article and I'm going to break down what they said. They said its no 4DSC but a 4DLC (Four door luxury car), they claimed it is quieter at 60 than the Benz S550 which is a good thing. They do not like the outside design nor the inside design now surprisingly (materials used they did), now to the numbers. They said although its numbers are respectable its no Sports Sedan in SR form as its numbers are below most Sports Sedans, it pulled an .87G on the skidpad (they hate its 61/49 weight distribution). 0 to 60 was 5.9 sec, 14.4 1/4 mile at 101mph. They prefer the Platinum and other trims to the SR in this application as they did not like the SR's ride. At the end they made some bad analogy comparing it to Bruce Jenners transformation from Bruce to Caitlin Jenner dissing the car.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 08-11-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Ok guys I read the article and I'm going to break down what they said. They said its no 4DSC but a 4DLC (Four door luxury car), they claimed it is quieter at 60 than the Benz S550 which is a good thing. They do not like the outside design nor the inside design now surprisingly (materials used they did), now to the numbers. They said although its numbers are respectable its no Sports Sedan in SR form as its numbers are below most Sports Sedans, it pulled an .87G on the skidpad (they hate its 61/49 weight distribution). 0 to 60 was 5.9 sec, 14.4 1/4 mile at 101mph. They prefer the Platinum and other trims to the SR in this application as they did not like the SR's ride. At the end they made some bad analogy comparing it to Bruce Jenners transformation from Bruce to Caitlin Jenner dissing the car.
Thanks MONTE. Good read.

Based on past history, those were fairly complimentary remarks from C&D. I do disagree with their dislike of both outside and inside design, as such observations are extremely subjective, and viewed differently by every person. For example, most reviewers have raved about the inside design and finish. And opinions regarding design frequently change. I was not overly excited when I saw the first photos of this 8th gen, but seeing it in person gave a totally different impression, and, for me, a far more pleasing one.

I base my strong liking of this 8th gen on the fact it would be difficult to find a vehicle with the sportiness, aggressive styling, plushness, long list of features and long term reliability (per Consumer Reports) for a better price than we will actually pay for this car once dealers begin dealing.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 08-12-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:07 AM

I drove this car and I've owned a Camaro Z28. The second I sat in the car it felt like a low to the ground sports car even the visibility seemed a lot like my Z28 did. I love how every other company can call their cars "sporty" and has a "sporty" spoiler or "sporty wheels" or a "Sporty v6" something but Nissan calls this a 4DSC and everyone has to say its not.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 AM

I own a 280Z, a 350Z and an 8th Gen Max and the Max is way more of a sports car than my wife's Mustang.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My guess is C&D was mad Nissan only paid for one full page ad in their issue that highlighted the Maxima specifically. C&D has always been known to get pissy and slant the final article because of lack of ad support.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:25 PM

Frankly, I don't read those articles or care what they say. The only thing that is important to me is that I am, and always have been, happy with my Maximas. I live in an affluent community and have always received positive comments about the looks of my cars from the BMW, Mercedes (and other luxury lines) people.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
I own a 280Z, a 350Z and an 8th Gen Max and the Max is way more of a sports car than my wife's Mustang.
I parked beside a 2015 mustang convertible the other day, and I have to say, I think my 2016 SR looked more sporty than the mustang. I almost snapped a pic, now I wish I did. The 2016 Max just looks sleeker than the mustang. I guess its the pony car/muscle car look on the mustang that just doesn't do it for me.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 AM

4DSC is a gimmick, just like "wait wait, call within next 5mins ....."
They keep using it, because they don't have a better gimmick.
Seems like Nissan made it a corner stone of their marketing with 7th gen and now even more with 8th gen, where its embossed into head and tail lights.
4DSC is whatever you want it to be, there is no scientific definition of what it represents.
Nissan probably trademarked the "4DSC" moniker so they are gonna milk it for all it's worth. If you notice, no one else uses that in their advertising--- not even true four door sports sedans.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JRod28
Nissan probably trademarked the "4DSC" moniker so they are gonna milk it for all it's worth. If you notice, no one else uses that in their advertising--- not even true four door sports sedans.
I know its not in the same league, but an E63 AMG or the Hellcat are 4DSCs. The Maxima is a high performing family sedan.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
I know its not in the same league, but an E63 AMG or the Hellcat are 4DSCs. The Maxima is a high performing family sedan.
"Not in the same league" is the understatement of the year. That's a $102K and a $63K car compared to a $32K car (all base model MSRPs-roughly). Just drop the Prosche Panamera in that equation too. Now that's a 4DSC at just $80K.

I agree with the last sentence though, it is a high performing family sedan. It is sporty looking, handles well, enough HP, and fun to drive....and I can AFFORD it at $42K for a SR model with a few extras.

I get compliments all the time on this car. I love driving it. The 4DSC thing is just a marketing tool. Just accept the car for what it is. If you like great. If you don't, why are you on the 8th gen forum anyway. Dang.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan is not the only company that uses terms that may not describe the car appropriately. Yet, it seems they get a lot of flack. Many people really like the new Maxima, including myself. Many of the pictures do not do it justice. Seeing it in person is another story. It's a sporty family sedan, that if you really take a look at, offers a lot for the price.

I really like the fact that its quieter. I often add extra sound deadening to my cars, not just because I always upgrade the sound system, but because I like a quieter car. I uninstalled the pipe that channels engine sounds into the passenger compartment on my 7th gen. I would hope that the artificial engine sound through the speakers is a feature that can be turned off. It's not a deal breaker though, as I really like the car.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:23 PM

The Hellcat is straight line beast but it sure does not handle like a "4DSC"...lol.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JRod28
If they did trademark it, they should have passed that moniker onto the G35/37 now Q50 years ago. Its the true Nissan Mfg Co. "4DSC" from the chassis to engine etc etc.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:12 PM

Usually agree with you, 04BlackMaxx. But I don't consider the Hellcat to be a true '4DSC'. A writeup of its road test in my Friday newspaper said it had over 700 HP, could go over 200 MPH, got 13 MPG during their testing, tipped the scales at approaching 5,000 pounds, and tilted noticably in corners. There is nothing 'sports car' about that. We are talking either RACE CAR, TRACK CAR, or a 'male enhancer device.'
Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 AM

I'm coming in late on this, but wouldn't the Hellcat be out of the discussion, if for nothing else, because it only has two doors? lol
Old 08-17-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by doctorpullit
I'm coming in late on this, but wouldn't the Hellcat be out of the discussion, if for nothing else, because it only has two doors? lol
There is a Charger and Challenger Hellcat, the Charger is the 4 door the Challenger is the 2 door!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
There is a Charger and Challenger Hellcat, the Charger is the 4 door the Challenger is the 2 door!
Got it. Thank you for clarifying. Shows how much (little) I know.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 AM

Monte, thanks for the summary. C&D also mentioned that a transverse mounted engine, CVT, and FWD do not qualify it as a sports car. The interesting thing is they rate the Maxima #1 out of eight cars in its class on their website which in order is Maxima, Avalon, Impala, 300, Charger, Cadenza, LaCrosse, and Azera.

http://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/maxima

Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JoeWhit
Monte, thanks for the summary. C&D also mentioned that a transverse mounted engine, CVT, and FWD do not qualify it as a sports car. The interesting thing is they rate the Maxima #1 out of eight cars in its class on their website which in order is Maxima, Avalon, Impala, 300, Charger, Cadenza, LaCrosse, and Azera.

Hey Joe no prob, I will post the photo scan from the read since several have asked me too. I got a feeling that is going to change after how they dissed it in the actual road test, even to go as far as saying " whats really bothering us is the Maxima isn't much fun". That's kinda of harsh, they do not like the SR, but seem to like the non sport models more.

Last edited by MONTE 01&97 SE; 08-31-2015 at 01:06 PM.