8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Future buyer. Some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:39 PM

Future buyer. Some questions!

I'm looking to get a platinum trim, however, there are some features that the SR has that I am trying to see about incorporating into it.

Does anyone know why the sport spoiler doesn't work on the non SR models? Is there a different trunk door that would prevent it from being installed?

Has anyone ever done a deal on previous models to swap out the wheel from another trim with the trim you purchased? If so how did that go? I'd like to have the 19 inch wheels on the platinum but dont know if I can cheapen the cost by doing that at the point of sale versus after purchasing it and then having the stocks just sitting around until sold.

I am not a fan of the dark brown trim and saw there are appliques you can apply. I've never used appliques in a car. Are these gaudy? Do they appear like stock when installed and how do they hold up in super hot summers (Texas heat).

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM

I don't think you can swap out those components like tires and spoilers, as Nissan wants specific looks on each trim. But you can buy rims for Platinum. I know that SR has sports tuned shocks, so not sure if that allows SR to have 19" rims. You may want to add a spoiler for Platinum as an add on, but not swapped them from SR. That would be my guest.vthese days, you can chat about these to the dealers themselves. Save you the hassle of going there and harder for them to goad you into buying one immediately.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:44 PM

Re: Future buyer. Some questions

Hi there - Nissan has really locked down the factory installed options by model version. That being said, spoilers are considered dealer installed options too. I saw a premium spoiler on a SR and a sport spoiler on a premium. So I'd ask your dealer if that is an option they would accommodate.

Re: the wheels, unless you know someone behind a parts counter your best bet will to be source them yourself and sell the 18s on the market. Or Depending on where you live, you could mount winter tires on your 18s and sport/ summer tires on your 19s. My bet would be that the dealer will not want to get stuck holding an extra set of wheels. Since the SR has unique suspension components, I'd want to know if the 19s are viable option for a platinum.

Have you test drove the SR and Platinum yet? I drove them both on two different days. Once in the rain and once on dry pavement. I could live with the SR on a daily basis. It's definitely stiffer and the 19s transmit more noise into the cabin but it's controlled on all but the worst pavement. I really like the design of the 19s vs the 18s and wish the platinums came with 19s. They fill the wheel wells better. I'm tall so I appreciated the SR's extra 2" of headroom. I don't really use the sunroof anyway. But I love the rear shade, all around camera and the brown trim versus the silver on the platinum and its quieter with basically the same straight line performance numbers.

Indon't have any experience with the appliqués. Good luck and congratulations on your purchase. You won't be sorry.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM

Rims are part of the WHEEL!

Originally Posted by Gildarts
I don't think you can swap out those components like tires and spoilers, as Nissan wants specific looks on each trim. But you can buy rims for Platinum. I know that SR has sports tuned shocks, so not sure if that allows SR to have 19" rims. You may want to add a spoiler for Platinum as an add on, but not swapped them from SR. That would be my guest.vthese days, you can chat about these to the dealers themselves. Save you the hassle of going there and harder for them to goad you into buying one immediately.
RIMS? Assuming you are talking about the whole WHEEL, which is how they are listed and priced. You could swap wheels to get the Sport look and there are thicker over the counter Nissan sway bars you could retrofit to complete the handling improvements. I notice the sport model does not offer the sun roof as a nod to torsional body rigidity. In reality, these are not really the best corner hugging cars you can buy. If it's "boy racer" I'd look for a RWD car.