8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Smartphone connectivity questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smartphone connectivity questions

Hi All, prospective buyer here. I am 85% convinced that the 2016 Max will be my next ride but one thing giving me a little pause are reports that the infotainment system doesn't always play nice with smartphones. I was hoping Nissan would release a Android Auto/Apple Car Play compatible system like Honda, Volkswagen and others are currently rolling out. Has anyone heard if the new Nissan Connect system on the Max will be upgradable? I also read that the only App currently supported is Google Search (no Pandora, IHeartRadio, Twitter, etc.). I am hoping this will change with a system upgrade in the near future but was wondering if anyone had any further info on this. For you happy new owners: how does Google Search even work? Can you Google directions to a restaurant, for example, and have the system guide you there? Lastly, I wanted to know if anyone was having problems connecting their smartphones via Bluetooth or USB. The list of Nissan-approved phones seems to be fairly limiting once you account for carrier and OS version.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 PM

I paired my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge using Bluetooth with no problems or dropped calls. I've used the voice command to access my contacts and call from it. If I get a txt message, the Maxima can read for u, bettter if the text isn't abbreviated. For audio, you'll have to select bluetooth audio, then pair it again with your phone. From it, you can have your phone access any music apps and stream the sound to Maxima audio system. I've haven't played with Nissan Connect. This uses satellite radio signal (i think), so after the free subscription by Nissan, you'll have to pay. I do think it's smart for Nissan not to install wifi system and have more functionality, as this may have security risk in the future. I do want securing the wifi, 4g, LTE, upcoming 5G network, prior seeing them on new car models. I think we are less than 5yrs from that reality.