8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Platinum Center Console Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2016 Platinum Center Console Issue?

I got my new '16 Platinum back in the middle of June and a few days after I had it, my entire center console lost power except for the rearview cameras. Took it to the dealership and they said it reported a 'short' (doubt there's a code for that, guessing it was a power issue if anything reported). But they took out a USB cable I had in the middle and said it was the culprit and all they did was reset the ECU to fix it. Took them at their word and never used it again. They said they reported it to Nissan and I don't see any other similar issues (so far) online so guessing mine is isolated/unique at this point.

Last weekend I took a trip and parked it at the airport over the weekend (Friday morning-Sunday evening). Everything was fine when I drove it home Sunday evening and Monday morning everything was fine, at least I believe it was -- can't recall exactly so going with it at this point, but after I backed up and put it in drive, I noticed the center console was out again.

No USB cables plugged in under the center console aside from a newer one under the arm rest. I've been trying to get the code/reset the ECU using the gen 6/7 steps with no luck so far. Might try disconnecting the battery for 15min but asking for any advice/input to 1) anyone else having issues with the center console losing power? 2) anyone know if 8th gen is the exact same as the last few gens to reset the ECU, if not, any idea of what the steps are? 3) Misc suggestions.

2016 Maxima - Platinum Sports Package
2009 Maxima SV Premium
2004 Maxima SV Premium (Got me addicted!!!!!)
Old 09-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by gigabyte
I got my new '16 Platinum back in the middle of June and a few days after I had it, my entire center console lost power except for the rearview cameras. Took it to the dealership and they said it reported a 'short' (doubt there's a code for that, guessing it was a power issue if anything reported). But they took out a USB cable I had in the middle and said it was the culprit and all they did was reset the ECU to fix it. Took them at their word and never used it again. They said they reported it to Nissan and I don't see any other similar issues (so far) online so guessing mine is isolated/unique at this point.

Last weekend I took a trip and parked it at the airport over the weekend (Friday morning-Sunday evening). Everything was fine when I drove it home Sunday evening and Monday morning everything was fine, at least I believe it was -- can't recall exactly so going with it at this point, but after I backed up and put it in drive, I noticed the center console was out again.

No USB cables plugged in under the center console aside from a newer one under the arm rest. I've been trying to get the code/reset the ECU using the gen 6/7 steps with no luck so far. Might try disconnecting the battery for 15min but asking for any advice/input to 1) anyone else having issues with the center console losing power? 2) anyone know if 8th gen is the exact same as the last few gens to reset the ECU, if not, any idea of what the steps are? 3) Misc suggestions.

2016 Maxima - Platinum Sports Package
2009 Maxima SV Premium
2004 Maxima SV Premium (Got me addicted!!!!!)

I have a SR and it did have a similar issue - and the dealer did a reset.
here is the thread I started
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...9&goto=newpost

Folks here say that I need to format my USB flash drive to avoid it. I have not done that yet but I have unplugged it and so far it has not done it. However the center screen did an automatic reboot of the connect system while I was driving.. not sure what to call that, defect or the system just trying to reset it self after it took an error ? I am going to monitor this for a few more days to see if it does again and take it back to the dealer as they told me that if it does this again they will replace the computer that runs the center stack.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the thread link.

Originally Posted by vrajesh123

Folks here say that I need to format my USB flash drive to avoid it. I have not done that yet but I have unplugged it and so far it has not done it. However the center screen did an automatic reboot of the connect system while I was driving.. not sure what to call that, defect or the system just trying to reset it self after it took an error ? I am going to monitor this for a few more days to see if it does again and take it back to the dealer as they told me that if it does this again they will replace the computer that runs the center stack.
Thank you. Read your thread. LOL It's odd how so many of us Maxima lover's are alike. So much for being a unique individual! I've read a few threads and seems like a lot of us have same likes, habits, etc. I've been going without my iPod for a while since I had the free Sirius but it's ended and was just thinking about plugging it back in when this happened.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

After ECU Reset

Originally Posted by vrajesh123

In trying to recall since my last reply, never had mine reboot that I've noticed. Just not power up, completely dead aside from the rearview camera.

Hating sitting and waiting, I went ahead and did a ECU reset and removed battery + for 15 minutes. Sadly, had to effect. Triple-checked the fuses and they appear to be ok but not sure which one I'm looking at specifically for that component. Only checked the inside fuses under the dash, not under the hood. The descriptions are very generic (audio, etc.) But not having a blown one to look at for comparison, they all appeared to be intact (looking through the top of the fuses). Couldn't get my hands in there to actually yank them one-by-one otherwise I would've.

I hate to admit it but thinking I'm going to have to go to the dealership as well.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Took the car to dealership. They were unable let to detect and understand the issue until 5pm last Thursday after having it all day. They finally realize it had no power unless you backed up for the rear view camera. Order a replacement "brian" from the manufacturer in China, not Nissan with 2 to 3 day shipping. Nissan is interest and wants the bad unit to investigate. Was told this is the very first. I debated with others having issues, albit not exactly identical (locking up, rebooting, etc.) Hopefully another day or two and I'll have it back after a full week.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by gigabyte
Took the car to dealership. They were unable let to detect and understand the issue until 5pm last Thursday after having it all day. They finally realize it had no power unless you backed up for the rear view camera. Order a replacement "brian" from the manufacturer in China, not Nissan with 2 to 3 day shipping. Nissan is interest and wants the bad unit to investigate. Was told this is the very first. I debated with others having issues, albit not exactly identical (locking up, rebooting, etc.) Hopefully another day or two and I'll have it back after a full week.
Ugh. What a PITA. Sorry to hear you're having these issues. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:59 AM

Good luck! While it's nice to get a new model when it's first released, you also have to deal with all the bugs.
Old 11-04-2015, 10:23 PM

The touch screen functionality did not work on mine......on Day 1.

They replaced it in 3 days, mostly due to waiting time for the screen to arrive. I was told that Clarion produces them and they couldn't figure out why the sensor stopped working.

Hope you get your issue resolved ASAP.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:05 PM

Good luck, and hopefully it was an early production issue. I have 2016 platinum (manufactured Feb or March of 2016, although I didn't take delivery until closer to August) and I've had my center console screen reboot once. But knock on wood, no other center console screen issues.