8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

should I let the dealership detail my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 AM

should I let the dealership detail my car?

So I made the mistake of purchasing my 16' Max on a rainy day. The car wasn't fresh off the truck so I know the dealership had detailed it at some point. Fast forward a week when the sun finally came out, I noticed light scratches all over the car. Nothing terrible, they are only visible up close and around the reflection of the sun, a light polishing would get it out. I've been planning on taking care of it myself when I purchase a new buffer but my salesman recently sent me a satisfaction survey and I mentioned my disappointment with the detail work. Well the sales manager contacted me and wants to make it right, understandably so, but he wants his detail guys to fix the problem.... who caused the problems in the first place. He's promised me they can fix it but I'm not so sure. What do you guys think? I suppose if they polish it and don't fix it, or make it worse, they'll pay for me to take it to a detail shop but they'll also be thinning out the paint even more....

Last edited by ATDoel; 10-21-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Depends on your dealership honestly. I dont have a dealer that is OCD about paint like I am. Also given your reluctance based on what you already typed I would ask for a "credit" of some kind in exchange for "problem resolved" response.

Also make sure you notate on your service record you DON'T want courtesy washes when its in for service if they provide such.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
Depends on your dealership honestly. I dont have a dealer that is OCD about paint like I am. Also given your reluctance based on what you already typed I would ask for a "credit" of some kind in exchange for "problem resolved" response.

Also make sure you notate on your service record you DON'T want courtesy washes when its in for service if they provide such.
Good idea about the courtesy washes. I'm definitely not terribly OCD about paint but I don't want to see scratches on it in the sun.....
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

They already did the damage. And as you so correctly indicated they are going to have to polish it to remove scratches correctly. Problem is they probably wont do that. They will just buff with a wax/sealer compound and it will look awesome now but when the sealer/wax fades/wears the scratches will come back. I would do it myself or a place you trust.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by ATDoel
So I made the mistake of purchasing my 16' Max on a rainy day. The car wasn't fresh off the truck so I know the dealership had detailed it at some point. Fast forward a week when the sun finally came out, I noticed light scratches all over the car. Nothing terrible, they are only visible up close and around the reflection of the sun, a light polishing would get it out. I've been planning on taking care of it myself when I purchase a new buffer but my salesman recently sent me a satisfaction survey and I mentioned my disappointment with the detail work. Well the sales manager contacted me and wants to make it right, understandably so, but he wants his detail guys to fix the problem.... who caused the problems in the first place. He's promised me they can fix it but I'm not so sure. What do you guys think? I suppose if they polish it and don't fix it, or make it worse, they'll pay for me to take it to a detail shop but they'll also be thinning out the paint even more....
I personally would insist on getting it done somewhere more reputable. Chances are they are going to throw a glaze on it to hide the scratches temporarily. I highlty doubt they are going to take the time out to properly polish the car..and the products they use usually suck. Dealership detailers are more about quantity then quality.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:56 AM

Totally agree. I wouldn't let the dealer do the paint correction. They gave it a "bad wash" in the first place with inferior products and practices. Do they have a body shop at the dealer? If so you could check out their reputation on Yelp or find a body shop in the area that you trust. My dealer offers complimentary washes and I never take them up on it.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by faze2988
I personally would insist on getting it done somewhere more reputable. Chances are they are going to throw a glaze on it to hide the scratches temporarily. I highlty doubt they are going to take the time out to properly polish the car..and the products they use usually suck. Dealership detailers are more about quantity then quality.
I totally agree - pick where you want it done and have the dealer pay for it on your behalf! Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

never.