8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Nissan recalls 120 K vehicles; fluid leaks can cause fires

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:56 AM

Nissan recalls 120 K vehicles; fluid leaks can cause fires

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/reca...ires/441691665
Old 09-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just saw that... and mine's affected. Here's Nissan's recall lookup site --> http://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin#/
Old 09-09-2016, 10:09 AM

Damn man...that's pretty serious stuff...
Old 09-09-2016, 11:07 AM

Oh look, another recall.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 AM

Yeah, this is my 3rd one. My vehicle is yet again affected by this one as well. Aren't I lucky.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by celticdiablo
Yeah, this is my 3rd one. My vehicle is yet again affected by this one as well. Aren't I lucky.
You and me both. I keep telling myself that it's my fault for buying a first year model, but it wasn't exactly first off the truck.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well...that certainly puts a damper on me buying this weekend
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by diggy
Well...that certainly puts a damper on me buying this weekend
Eh, they're getting the bugs worked out, and it's still a great car. If you liked the car, you're still going to like the car, recalls or no.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I took my car in today to get the 2nd and 3rd recalls done. When I dropped it off they told me they would take care of the three recalls. I said no I already got the gas tank recall done. They said they needed the car of 4 hours. I get a call about 3 hours later telling me I will need to come in and pick up a rental/loaner as my car is part of another recall. I say I need it as it is scheduled to go to body shop Monday. Nope sorry Nissan say the car has to be parked and battery disconnected. They do not have the part nor do they know when they will get the part. To top it of they tell me they only have a sentra or rogue available niether of which fits y 3 kids with their car seat the two boosters. Such absolute BS. I am trading this car in as soon as I get the body work done from getting backed into in a parking lot.

Too top it all off I leave Monday for 7 days return for 1 day then eave for another 10 days. They tell me I should work out a way to return the loaner and maybe they can give me a ride FU Nissan I'll give the loaner back when I am in town and my car is done. Don't they have to give a comparable car in this sort of situation?? Less than 8,000 miles and on my 4th recall sad.

Thanks for letting me rant.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Feb 2016 build here, only had the OCS air bag recall show up so far. I know the recalls are a pain in the ***. The recalls are better than important safety matters going unaddressed. We know what happened with GM...
Old 09-09-2016, 04:15 PM

No recall on my August 2015 build.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by realmac
Feb 2016 build here, only had the OCS air bag recall show up so far. I know the recalls are a pain in the ***. The recalls are better than important safety matters going unaddressed. We know what happened with GM...

Agreed pain in the butt, but I suspect the builders of all our vehicles are mere mortals and are destined to mess up occasionally. So I suggest if that's not good enough you go down to your local dealership scream and shout until they capitulate and offer you a new vehicle every year for the rest of your life.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by raven69david
How do you know the build date? Is it buried in the VIN?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM

Crazy, my is 100% park inside garage all the time at home and work that can be a big insures claim.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 PM

Nissan recalls 120 K vehicles; fluid leaks can cause fires-photo834.jpg
Old 09-09-2016, 07:55 PM

That's all the recalls on my car they better fix them .
Old 09-09-2016, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Polarisdb
This information is located on the B-pillar door jam inside the driver door. This data label includes other pertinent info, such as VIN, tire pressure and load specs. The build date is listed month/year in 2-digit format of each.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
This information is located on the B-pillar door jam inside the driver door. This data label includes other pertinent info, such as VIN, tire pressure and load specs. The build date is listed month/year in 2-digit format of each.
And if you need to know the exact day and time, at the very bottom edge at the right end of the window sticker that came with the car, there will be a long row of small numbers. If, for example, that row started with:

That would mean the sticker was printed (and the car was built) on August 20, 2015 at 10:56PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
That's all the recalls on my car they better fix them .
Why do you doubt it!
Old 09-10-2016, 07:01 AM

Because my car is bent custom the brake kit I have is from a infinity q60 sport the exhaust is all custom with out cats.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
And if you need to know the exact day and time, at the very bottom edge at the right end of the window sticker that came with the car, there will be a long row of small numbers. If, for example, that row started with:

That would mean the sticker was printed (and the car was built) on August 20, 2015 at 10:56PM.
Cool thanks!

Looks like mine was built on 5/18/16. I was under the impression that it had been sitting around on the dealer lot for quite some time, which was apparently not the case.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 AM

Additional Information

Reason for Recall
In some vehicles affected by this recall, the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) actuator may leak brake fluid. If this occurs, the ABS warning lamp will illuminate and remain continually illuminated on the instrument panel. However, if this condition is ignored, the leak can potentially create an electrical short, and in rare instances, may lead to a fire.

What You Should Do
If the ABS warning lamp in your vehicle illuminates continually for more than ten (10) seconds after engine start:
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) warning light

1. Please stop driving your vehicle immediately and call Nissan Roadside Assistance at 1-800-647-7261 (option 1) to arrange towing your vehicle to a Nissan dealer at no cost to you

2. Park your vehicle outdoors, away from other vehicles or structures

If your ABS warning lamp is continually illuminated and you require alternative transportation while your vehicle is being remedied, your Nissan dealer will make appropriate arrangements at no cost to you.

You may find your nearest dealer using this link: Dealer Locator

If the ABS warning lamp in your vehicle does not remain continually illuminated for more than ten (10) seconds after engine start, your vehicle is safe to drive and no immediate action is required.

Next Steps
In the coming weeks, you will also receive an interim recall notification letter. Nissan is currently preparing parts to remedy your vehicle. When parts become available, Nissan will send you a second recall letter asking you to bring your vehicle to a dealer for a remedy at no cost to you.

If you have questions regarding the safety recall, you may contact Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-NISSAN1 (1-800-647-7261).

Nissan is committed to the safety and security of our customers and their passengers. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Randy
Old 09-11-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by raven69david
Because you have a base model, not a platinum, dude.

"... the Intelligent Cruise Control features an anti-lock brake actuator pump that may allow brake fluid to leak onto an internal electrical circuit board."
Old 09-11-2016, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
Because my car is bent custom the brake kit I have is from a infinity q60 sport the exhaust is all custom with out cats.
um, what?
Old 09-11-2016, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Polarisdb
Look inside your drivers door jamb. It's there.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice, dos anyone know how long a fix this will be, and does anyone know if mine is being recalled... I cant find any sites for us Canadians lol
Old 09-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by canadianboy
nice, dos anyone know how long a fix this will be, and does anyone know if mine is being recalled... I cant find any sites for us Canadians lol
I don't know where the Canadian recall site is, or if it is separate from the U.S. site. Unless you are driving a Platinum, you are not involved. If you are driving a Platinum, and if the ABS light on the dash goes out within ten seconds after startup, you may continue driving your car. Nissan will notify you if your car needs this recall, and you will contact your dealer to find out when the replacement part is available.

If, however, the ABS light on the dash stays on for more than ten seconds after startup, you need to let your dealer know immediately. Nissan even suggests that a car in that condition should not be driven, and certainly not parked inside a garage, as the potential for a fire is too great.

I would think this is a repair that should not take more than an hour. The problem is getting the new part. From the language of the recall, I suspect the new part may be in short supply early on.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:54 PM

My 2016 SL is on the recall list, so it isn't just Platinums.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:03 PM

I don't know where the Canadian recall site is, or if it is separate from the U.S. site. Unless you are driving a Platinum, you are not involved.
I believe it's associated with models that have Intelligent Cruise Control or ICC...so also includes SRs and SLs.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 AM

I have an appointment for tomorrow. Said to take about 45 minutes to correct if necessary.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
I have an appointment for tomorrow. Said to take about 45 minutes to correct if necessary.
I thought parts weren't available yet?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:34 AM

Hey Randy, where did you get the Additional Info you pasted. I have a feeling our dealership isn't taking this one serious enough, I'd just like to know I have something to point them to specifically/
Old 09-12-2016, 08:57 AM

MadMax07SL

Go to http://www.nissanusa.com/recalls-vin#/
Don't put your vin # in look at where it says
September 2016: Important Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) Actuator Safety Recall Information

Then click on this item
MORE INFORMATION

You can then print the information for your dealer or yourself.

Randy
Old 09-12-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by outzider
I am thinking that they need parts for the bulk of the recalls.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM

The recall is just to inspect. If something does go wrong - leaks/cracks/whatever - they have to order parts.

So there is no part shortage yet, since only a small portion of cars even have the issue.

HOWEVER, good/ethical dealers/service shops will leave the recall OPEN should something happen in the future. My dealer offered without me asking, so even if someone has an issue "at 180,000 miles", it will be covered.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by wtgkb8
I believe it's associated with models that have Intelligent Cruise Control or ICC...so also includes SRs and SLs.
I stand corrected. I was not aware that Intelligent Cruise Control was on several levels of the Maxima.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by outzider
I was told the same thing...that the recall is so new that parts aren't available yet and my dealership doesn't know what to do with it yet.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ambivalent
I was told the same thing...that the recall is so new that parts aren't available yet and my dealership doesn't know what to do with it yet.
I would guess that, in the short term, the supply of replacement parts that are available would be used mostly on Maximas that have had the ABS light stay on for more than 10 seconds. Those are the cars that are in imminent danger of catching fire. Once the supply of replacement parts begins to grow, then other Maximas with Intelligent Cruise Control will be serviced.

As with every recall, there will be some dealers who will have acted quickly and will have a larger supply of replacement parts than others, and some dealers who drug their feet, and who ordered replacement parts too late, and got none. And there will be some dealers who try to hold their replacement parts for use on those who have had their ABS light stay on for ten or more seconds, while other dealers will use their replacement parts on whatever Maximas show up at their service bay. We will see all those situations play out here on maxima.org, as usual.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:48 PM

I would guess that, in the short term, the supply of replacement parts that are available would be used mostly on Maximas that have had the ABS light stay on for more than 10 seconds. Those are the cars that are in imminent danger of catching fire. Once the supply of replacement parts begins to grow, then other Maximas with Intelligent Cruise Control will be serviced.

As with every recall, there will be some dealers who will have acted quickly and will have a larger supply of replacement parts than others, and some dealers who drug their feet, and who ordered replacement parts too late, and got none. And there will be some dealers who try to hold their replacement parts for use on those who have had their ABS light stay on for ten or more seconds, while other dealers will use their replacement parts on whatever Maximas show up at their service bay. We will see all those situations play out here on maxima.org, as usual.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ambivalent
Thanks.
Again - no new parts required.

Inspect > if okay > nothing more.

If ABS light on > order parts.

Quick Reply: Nissan recalls 120 K vehicles; fluid leaks can cause fires