8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Winter Traction

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Winter Traction

I just bought a 17 Maxima SR (Midnight Package) on Friday and other than the mad torque steer when I gun it, (coming from a RDX, so this is kinda new to me), I'm really enjoying the car. I think it's a lot of car for the money. I'm hoping someone else on here has the SR package and can let me know if I should immediately put on snow tires. The 19's have all seasons, but lets face it, not all seasons are the same. Since they're new I'm hoping to make it through the winter, but I don't want to wreck my new car in the snow either. I live in Pittsburgh which gets it's fair share of snow and has lots of hills which makes snow driving even worse. Does anyone have any experience driving with the 19's in the snow? I appreciate your feedback!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 AM

May I recommend this to you?
http://www.racinglineperformance.com...&idcategory=22
Old 01-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the link. Do you have it on yours? Did you notice a difference? It just seems like every time I hit the gas to turn onto a highway, I'm spinning tires. Did you install it yourself? I'd probably have to have it installed by someone, since I wouldn't trust myself.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2017 SR (and I believe all SR's) came with "summer only" tires, not all season.
These tires are HORRIBLE in the snow.
Regardless.......Dunlop winter Maxx worked awesome on my 14 WRX.
On my 2012 Maxima I had Yokohama all-season tires which worked great in the snow and they were super quiet.
Before you buy may I suggest you visit the tirerack.com website and read the reviews for tires you may purchase. These reviews have been helpful before I've purchased. Plus the place you purchase tires from may match tireracks price if you print it out.

Good Luck...I have black midnight edition with undercarriage lighting, int. light package, and a fewo ther packages. Windows were tinted 35% last week. Perfect touch.

Last edited by live4darumble; 01-23-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by fizzfactory
Thanks for the link. Do you have it on yours? Did you notice a difference? It just seems like every time I hit the gas to turn onto a highway, I'm spinning tires. Did you install it yourself? I'd probably have to have it installed by someone, since I wouldn't trust myself.
I had installed it (by myself) in my 2010 Altima SR (sold) and it fits in my 2016 Maxima without problems..easy peasy kind of job. In both cars the accelaration is more straight in line, it makes a big difference....
Old 01-24-2017, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by fizzfactory
I just bought a 17 Maxima SR (Midnight Package) on Friday and other than the mad torque steer when I gun it, (coming from a RDX, so this is kinda new to me), I'm really enjoying the car. I think it's a lot of car for the money. I'm hoping someone else on here has the SR package and can let me know if I should immediately put on snow tires. The 19's have all seasons, but lets face it, not all seasons are the same. Since they're new I'm hoping to make it through the winter, but I don't want to wreck my new car in the snow either. I live in Pittsburgh which gets it's fair share of snow and has lots of hills which makes snow driving even worse. Does anyone have any experience driving with the 19's in the snow? I appreciate your feedback!
Get snow tires. He car has too much torque for the equipped tires to handle snow. I bought a set of Blizzaks Ws80 with wheels. Huge difference.

My SR Midnight came with Goodyear F1 all season tires and I think they suck. Just put my Maxima into a fence 2 days ago on an entrance ramp to a major road. Road was damp but I wasn't doing anything wreckless. $13k in damage. Be safe.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jeeper31
Get snow tires. He car has too much torque for the equipped tires to handle snow. I bought a set of Blizzaks Ws80 with wheels. Huge difference.

My SR Midnight came with Goodyear F1 all season tires and I think they suck. Just put my Maxima into a fence 2 days ago on an entrance ramp to a major road. Road was damp but I wasn't doing anything wreckless. $13k in damage. Be safe.
Snow tires on winter is best option no doubt on any cars or trucks. But if you know how to handle and control your acceleration during take off and when to slow down. I say all season is fine. Been using all season tire whole year last year and got no issues with it (i am from minnesota.)
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 AM

snow tires mounted on steelies so it's an east change for you in the fall and spring. My 2004 has a set of junk yard 18 inch rims with snows mounted. Its an easy swap for me to do when I see the snow blitz coming to north central Mass.