8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Blind spot monitoring question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Blind spot monitoring question...

Has anyone noticed that the blindspot monitoring isnt very sensitive? Particularly the right side. I can pass some vehicles on the right and tge blindspot light doesnt even turn on...

unrelated... but why does my 2017 max have gps maps from 2014/2015 map version?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM

the sensors doesn't see things all the time (per manual).
one time, the sensors sort-of (crashed?) and rebooted itself,
so the sensors did not activate for a while.
good thing it was during a slow moving traffic.

my '16 sr has the same version maps, too.
alot of us here does...
Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 AM

I look at it as an Aide in driving and will always check my mirrors before changing lanes. I notice that if you pass a car at a higher speed it will not activate because from the time you pass it until it's in your blind spot its so small a time it would be useless. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 AM

It seems to take a second or two till the Blind Spot monitor activates once a car is in that zone. That is a good idea.

Nissan should make good on at least one free update to the GPS map database for any newly purchased Maxima within the first 90 days. In reality, it may never happen. Conversely I would never pay the greedy update fee either.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
It seems to take a second or two till the Blind Spot monitor activates once a car is in that zone. That is a good idea.

Nissan should make good on at least one free update to the GPS map database for any newly purchased Maxima within the first 90 days. In reality, it may never happen. Conversely I would never pay the greedy update fee either.
I had my maps updated on my 7th gen, and still none of the five year old subdivisions near me were on the newer maps. The company that updates the maps evidently does not attempt to add all the new streets. They do only a slightly better job of updating the changes in gasoline brands at service stations and the changes in brands of motels and restaurants.

I sort of understand this problem in that there are so many thousands of changes in these areas every month, and no single source from where to obtain this info. But I usually only notice these problems on trips to unfamiliar areas, where I may ask for the nearest Shell station, and it leads me to a Citgo or UFO or Hess or Racetrack station. Or need to find a fairly new street. Or want a specific brand of motel.

Having this lack of newer info available certainly reduces the value of our navi, but I still always have the map up on my screen, and refer to it any time I am not in a very familiar area.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:35 AM

So what is the latest version of maps? I think car manufactires should just stop putting navigation in cars and make the screen a better extension of their phone. The display in the maxima should have so many more options.

the blindspot monitoring should detect everything. My acura mdx blindspot works flawlessly all the time.

Last edited by andremike; 02-01-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

distance

I think another reason the light may not illuminate is that say you are hugging the left line and the car on your right is hugging their right line, the car doesn't sense that distance between the two cars. I have only noticed the light not coming on in situations like that.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 AM

Just one more thought. All this electronic stuff only works if the sensors are clean and unimpeded. This time of year, slush and other wintry-type mess as well as rain or sleet or snow or fog can keep the sensors/cameras from working correctly.

I sometimes feel my blind-area alerts are a tad early or late coming on, or last a tad late going off. But that is usually a situation where I know exactly what I am going to do next, while the sensors and the computer that controls them can only guess. I am generally happy with the way mine operate.