8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Are your headlights "too bright?"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 02:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thumbs down Are your headlights "too bright?"

I have a 2017 Maxima, and when I am driving at night, a good number of people flash their headlights at me thinking I have brights on when I only have dims on. Has anyone else experienced this while driving? Are your Maxima's "dim" headlights really bright like "brights?"
Old 02-06-2017, 04:53 AM

Do you have your fog lights on?

I have noticed that the Maxima has a GREAT set of high beams.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Do you have your fog lights on?

I have noticed that the Maxima has a GREAT set of high beams.
The" fog lights on" routine seems to be an epidemic for anyone whose car is so equipped. Fog has nothing to do with the lights always being on . I think it is a bit "Billy Bob" so I keep mine off till they are really needed.

I do agree that the LED low beams do often get noticed to the point that oncoming drivers ofter flash their high beams at you. That said, I do appreciate the longer "light throw" of these lamps.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Dab

Yes, it happens to me all the time. and i dont have my fog lights on. I just flash my brights and then they really find out how bright my highbeams are.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Happens to me too. I like the brightness these lights throw out, but getting a little annoyed from having to flash my brights all the time. Also, I keep my fog lights off unless I need them for their intended purpose.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:56 PM

I live in a very congested area, so, on my 2000SE, 2004 SL and 2009 Premium Maximas, I eventually slightly lowered the top cutoffs on my low beams, and that reduced the number of oncoming cars that were flashing me. In each case, I parked the car in my garage, marked the upper cutoff level of each side on the wall in front of the car using masking tape (by alternately blocking each headlight), and adjusted the upper cutoff of each low beam downward one inch with the front of the car around eight feet away from the garage wall. Normally, the left low beam cutoff will be slightly lower than the right low beam cutoff. This is because the left headlight is more inline with oncoming driver's eyes.

Yes, that slightly lowers the reach of the low beams, but if I am away from congested areas, the high beams will do the 'reaching.' Somewhat surprisingly, I have not been flashed yet with my 2016 Platinum. But then I am not out as much at night as I used to be.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:39 AM

You live around too many hypersensitive people...move to a tougher part of town...

In all seriousness, these LED's disperse light so well, it shouldn't be too intense in any direct projection. But one thing I noted the other day (wife's max) the cutoff for the top of the light seems very high based on light hitting street signs, so what may be happening is that there is a more distant direct hit into an oncoming car's cabin, which leads them to believe based on that distance you must have brights on. F-em, feed 'em beans.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:41 AM

I just bought a 2017 Maxima. Driving home from the dealership Saturday night, I headed down a wooded road and I was shocked to see the side of the road/trees lit up. On the highway, the interstate signs reflect brighter than any other car I've owned. I use to get annoyed at cars with bright LEDs, now I'm one of them. Oh well...
Old 02-07-2017, 03:43 PM

I have never been flashed when using low beams only. The Maxima does have good headlights, and the brights are phenomenal.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:47 AM

Me all the time special with my led fog lights. Sorry
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Smile Thanks for the replies!

Wow, thanks for all these great replies! I was unable to log back in for a week (being "too busy"). I have flashed my high beams back at a few of them, but I hate to do that, too. I was just feeling bad, because, as MD36 said, I used to hate meeting cars with such bright lights, and now I guess I am one of them! Ha, ha. However, I never flashed my lights at those people, realizing their dims were just bright.

MadMax07SL, your reply made me laugh!

Now to figure out how to fix the scratches on the black between my windows, but that's on another thread. If any of you have ideas, please find that thread! Thanks!