8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Coolant Smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coolant Smell

Hey there everyone,
I have a 2017 Maxima Platinum with 11,000 miles on it. At some point after the 5,000 mile oil change, I began to notice a slight antifreeze scent. The coolant level has remained the same and there is no coolant leaking onto the garage floor. A few weeks ago I had the 10,000 mile services done at the local dealer and mentioned the coolant smell to the service advisor. The dealership performed a pressure test and told me that there are no leaks and all is as it should be. I'm aware of the gasket problems on the previous gen Maxima/Murano and was wondering if anyone else had this issue and if it really is a trait of the cooling system design? Also, my driver's seat squeaks when it slides back (power exit) when I turn off the car, it has been greased twice by the dealership and still makes the noise randomly. It's a very minor issue, actually just an annoyance but still wanted to stay on top of maintenance. Has anyone else had the issue and resolved it? Other than these two problems (?) I love the car and have not had any issue/problems.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by G-man73; 02-12-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Yeah i get that to, went car runs at 210 f but is normal. I have a bulldog programer witch i monitor all that. I don't know this maxima run hot vs my other Nissans next up grade is going to be a nismo thermostat with open at 180 vs 210 . don't worry is normal jejeeje

Last edited by A36-SR; 02-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 AM

Maybe, the engine bay needs to flush out the coolant spilled over the place, only.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 PM

I have had the coolant smell during the summer months for the past 2 years on a 2016. Originally concerned, but now believe it's just a benign characteristic of the vehicle. Coolant level has not changed since new.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get the smell as well during summer. I loose 1/2 the overflow bottle in a year. Dealer too did pressure test. No issues there. I do notice white residue around radiator cap neck. I might just change the radiator cap and see.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:30 AM

Don't Think this is a problem - I have had the same smell on previous Generation Maxima's with no coolant loss, no engine issues.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM

My previous VQ engines all had this, with no leaks or coolant loss, worse in the hot weather. I believe its just some coolant vapor that comes out the reservoir tank when its gets very hot. Its noticeable when you exit the vehicle, but not thru the vents.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 PM

I get it went i get over 200 but is normalCoolant Smell-photo156.jpg
Old 03-08-2017, 11:18 AM

My prior 2010 Maxima did the same thing. It lost about 1/2 liter of coolant over the course of 75,000 miles. Both head gaskets were leaking coolant. Pressure test was also normal. When under the car, though - if you looked at where the heads mated to the block, you could clearly see dried green chalky coolant where the head gaskets had a very slow leak.

It would never be enough to drip onto the floor - just a very slow leak. Hopefully your all's don't get worse. I was glad not to have to find out when my CVT failed at 150,000 miles and I stepped into a new Honda Accord V6/6AT.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM

Well I've just experienced my first "antifreeze overfill" by the dealer. Actually after my 2nd oil change for my '17 Maxima SL I started noticing an antifreeze odor on the first hot day afterward. Reminded me of my old '07 Altima after an antifreeze top up. Sure enough I looked in the coolant overflow reservoir and they had brought the level of the coolant up to Max (cold engine) from where it was before the service; about 1/2" below the MIN level with cold engine. Of course, just like the old Altima there was now wetness around the reservoir cap meaning the smell was coming from the cap "spillage", I suppose after the engine reached operating temp and blew some fluid from the radiator to the reservoir. It must be kind of a violent action just like I experienced with the Altima. So I removed about 1-1/2 cups of fluid from the reservoir(somewhere now between Min and Max levels) and no more antifreeze blowing around the cap. Must be a Nissan engine thing. So I'd say to check your fluid level after Nissan maintenance to make sure the fluid level is not at the Max level when engine in cold. Should alleviate the mess and smell.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM

so, this coolant smell.
engine running hot.
even with tank level at min.
goes to max level, maybe higher, when driving.
cap expands and contracts.
spills all over the passenger side of the engine.
touches hot metals and you get steam/fumes...
not really hazardous to your health.
but it can get messy.

is this how they designed it????
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM

"Spills all over the pass. side of the engine = steam/fumes" - Not normal.

The only time I smelled coolant was on a very hot day just after a coolant top-up at dealer 10,000 mi. oil change. There was a little coolant around the overflow cap but not enough to leak. Funny thing is that's the first time I ever noticed the coolant level at the Max level wheter the engine was hot or cold. The Max level is a few inches below the reservoir cap so without a semi-violent release of coolant from the radiator I don't really see how the coolant could spurt through the cap. As I stated previously my '07 Altima would do the same thing while idling a long time on a very hot day. The dealer or my ASE certified brother never could find a problem with the system. I'd have the dealer do a pressure test on your radiator cap to see if it is allowing coolant pressure in the radiator to get too high before it blows coolant violently into your overflow reservoir then all over the engine. Anyone else have a take on this problem?

Last edited by compyelc4; 10-24-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:37 PM

I haven't noticed it on my Maxima, but the wife's Pathfinder does this. It is only noticeable when the engine is hot, and I can only smell it on the outside of the car. I was always curious, but it sounds like it's normal.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Well, I think I just solved my problem. I removed the plastic overflow cap and inserted a tiny round gasket/seal down in the outside groove of the cap, below the threads. Now that puppy is sealed up tight. No coolant is going to leave via that sealed cap.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Well, I think I just solved my problem. I removed the plastic overflow cap and inserted a tiny round gasket/seal down in the outside groove of the cap, below the threads. Now that puppy is sealed up tight. No coolant is going to leave via that sealed cap.
I believe you just created a bigger problem. The overflow tank needs to vent the air out when the radiator is hot and pushing liquid into that overflow tank. If there is no vent you pressurize the overflow tank. If it doesn't split it will surely collapse when the engine cools and the extra liquid is sucked out by vacuum back into the radiator.

If you are leaking coolant from the cap of the overflow tank, you have too much coolant in that tank when it is cold.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I believe you just created a bigger problem. The overflow tank needs to vent the air out when the radiator is hot and pushing liquid into that overflow tank. If there is no vent you pressurize the overflow tank. If it doesn't split it will surely collapse when the engine cools and the extra liquid is sucked out by vacuum back into the radiator.

If you are leaking coolant from the cap of the overflow tank, you have too much coolant in that tank when it is cold.
You may be correct Richard. I removed the seal based on your logic, although I had one in my '07 Altima for over 100k with no problems. Using your logic however I can't explain how it worked without ever cracking or imploding the overflow container.

Thanks for your comment.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:42 PM

i think the minimum line should be the max line. haha
it has not overflowed for a week, even with some aggressive driving.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by BlakMaxiJoey
i think the minimum line should be the max line. haha
it has not overflowed for a week, even with some aggressive driving.
You are correct that the coolant overflow reservoir should never have coolant added that would take the level above the minimum line. Any fluid above that minimum line will be forced out at some point when normal high operating temperatures are reached.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Is the smell like a musty, fishy smell? If so, I have had this intermittently since I first purchased my 2017 platinum.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:59 AM

installed obd2 reader, and installed dashcommand.
the thermostat on my car reads an avg of “183 deg-f”
since my level had been on min, it has not decreased since.
but i still do smell it occassionally when i go over 4k to pass.

the sport mode display shows an avg temp for the trans at normal conditions,
its vent hose is by the intake close to the engine, so i am asking myself if the smell is from it when i floor it...
Old 06-25-2023, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did you ever figure out the issue?