8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Stillen Intake - High RPM in Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Stillen Intake - High RPM in Sport Mode

Hey,

I installed the stillen intake yesterday and I love it so far, however, I am wondering if I am having issues.

In normal mode, everything seems good and no issues. I have installed intake on my tc so I know normal behavior so no complain here.

In sport mode, overall it seems fine, however, when I rev my engine to 8 rpm it takes longer time to go back to down to 1 rpm. If I rev my engine to 8 rpm then it will come down to 3ish then stay there for few secs before going back down to 1.

Let's assume in normal mode it takes 5 secs to rev from 1 rpm to 8 then back down to 1 rpm. In sport mode, it will take like 10 secs to rev from 1 rpm to 8 then back to 1 rpm.

Anyone experienced that before?
Old 02-14-2017, 12:01 PM

I do not have the intake but I did notice that in sports mode the RPM is always higher even when you let off the gas as the car is supposed to use engine rev to slow the vehicle and also be at the higher rpm for better response to hitting the gas again. I notice it when I go around windy roads and have sports mode on. I would say its normal operation.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by unreal2k1
I do not have the intake but I did notice that in sports mode the RPM is always higher even when you let off the gas as the car is supposed to use engine rev to slow the vehicle and also be at the higher rpm for better response to hitting the gas again. I notice it when I go around windy roads and have sports mode on. I would say its normal operation.
That's what I was thinking too. More than likely it's a normal operation and it only does it when I rev it super high (like overtaking someone on the road), but if I drive normally it doesn't do that.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 PM

I am not trying to be obtuse here, but you know that is actually thousands of RPM, right?
Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
I am not trying to be obtuse here, but you know that is actually thousands of RPM, right?
Yup, I do. It's easier to explain it this way.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
Yup, I do. It's easier to explain it this way.

I think just that is the way it is when you switch to sports mode. Rpm and throttle changes when you switch coming from normal mode. I noticed that eversince before i swap my intake to stillen.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Franzrosearth2
I think just that is the way it is when you switch to sports mode. Rpm and throttle changes when you switch coming from normal mode. I noticed that eversince before i swap my intake to stillen.
Everything seems to be normal so looks like it's normal.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM

I have understood, that the more "cold" air volume enters to the engine, the IAC (inlet air control) valve (mainly) + Sport mode + hitting the gas will rise the RPMs while the ECU relearns and recalibrate the IAC valve. But, more air metered by the MAF (mass air flow) sensor will inject more gas to the combustion chambers and that will affect on the MPG....well, the extra ponies gained are not free for sure....
All my cars (94 & 97 Pontiac Trans am, 2010 Nissan Altima SR V6 and 2016 Maxima SR) with this mod, have behaved like this....for a while