8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Exhaust Tip Paint Peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Exhaust Tip Paint Peeling off

2016 SR with 4k miles. The Exhaust Tip Black Paint is Peeling off, I noticed it today after car wash. Is this something people have experienced about?

Last edited by xydehead; 02-15-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 7th gen did that. I sanded and painted with a flat high temp paint, and never happened again. Remember reading about horror stories bringing to the dealer and letting them paint.

Hasnt happened on my 8th gen. Yet..
Old 02-15-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by steve121465
My 7th gen did that. I sanded and painted with a flat high temp paint, and never happened again. Remember reading about horror stories bringing to the dealer and letting them paint.

Hasnt happened on my 8th gen. Yet..

Is not this part should be covered through warranty?
I would not accept anything less than a true part replacement from Dealer.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:14 PM

Can the tips be removed and replaced with a magnaflow tip?
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im pretty sure they are clamp ons just pull them off and get a screwdriver to pry it out if you need to.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM

Im surprised to hear an exhaust tip inside are painted. I find that very unusual. I have seen lately with cars that have 4 cylinder with dual exhaust, one of the tailpipe had a fake exhaust. that was on a new BMW X4 I thought how quaint and cheap they are doing to make it look "cool" factor. As for the tip being painted, I never understood what purpose would it serve.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Dealer says they will replace the tip, phewww... i thought they will grade it as wear and tear part.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by xydehead
Dealer says they will replace the tip, phewww... i thought they will grade it as wear and tear part.
maybe you can ask the dealler about how they are replaced and have thrm show you wheb they take the tip off. I would like to teplace mine with something solid
Old 02-16-2017, 03:52 PM

Sounds like your dealer is a good one! I have a little of the paint coming off too but I might just sand and paint with the high temp stuff just to avoid the 2 trips into the dealer for this.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:43 AM

After replacement, again the TIPS are peeling off. Hate it now.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:27 PM

After replacement, again the TIPS are peeling off. Hate it now.
If the replacement your dealer did less than one month ago actually used new tips, this would not be happening this soon. Could he have maybe repainted the old tips with cheap (non heat resistant) paint? If he put on new tips one month ago, then there is something unusual coming out of your exhaust pipe. Mine are fine, and my car was built August 20, 2015.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima 2016, 15000 Mi
Both sides
Hope, dealer is going to replace it.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Im surprised to hear an exhaust tip inside are painted. I find that very unusual. I have seen lately with cars that have 4 cylinder with dual exhaust, one of the tailpipe had a fake exhaust. that was on a new BMW X4 I thought how quaint and cheap they are doing to make it look "cool" factor. As for the tip being painted, I never understood what purpose would it serve.
i thought those were with butterfly valves... i guess not.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by marek1958

Maxima 2016, 15000 Mi
Both sides
Hope, dealer is going to replace it.
Try not to go nuts over this. Just take some steel wool to the insides, clean the surface very well (lacquer thinner or alcohol will do), and then just shoot them with flat black hi-temp paint as said earlier. I would use BBQ Black paint. Now these are not stainless, but chromed. I had an '07 Altima for 10 years here in the rust belt and amazingly the tips never rusted. Of course, once in a while I cleaned the insides and gave them a quick wax spray, but I imagine that burned off. Before each salty winter I shot them with silicone spray. I did the same thing for the last two winters for the '17 Max and they look like new. Tips are going to rust, whether chromed or not, unless they are high-quality stainless which not many mfgs. are going to do on the butt hole of the car.
Old 11-02-2021, 09:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've spray painted 4 times since purchase

I've spray painted it with high heat matte paint a few times. It only last a few weeks. And I don't drive my truck everyday. I'm actually thinking of going stainless steel but it doesn't go with my truck theme. I'm just looking for one that will not chip so often. Any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2021, 05:08 PM

I think the biggest problem here is the atmosphere these tips are subjected to. You should understand that exhaust gasses are pretty acidic. That combined with cold condensation, then fairly rapid heating, then cooling (expansion and contraction) all lead to chipping paint and corrosion. High-end stainless will hold up much longer than chromed steel. A better alternative, if you don't like the chrome/stainless look, is to find someone who will powder coat virgin steel tips. Guys are out there who will powder-coat things like this, but expect VERY pricey.