8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Max Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:13 AM

2016 Max Cabin Filter

Does anyone know the exact location of the 2016 cabin filter?

An online video shows it under the dash between the console and the front firewall, and that there's a hinged cover that opens to reveal the filter.

If that's accurate, how do I remove the console vertical trim piece in order to get to the hinged cover?

If it's not there, then where is it?

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 AM

I haven't done it yet on my maxima but have changed them on previous Altimas and I assume it's similar. The trim piece you are talking about to access the filtercompartment just pops off when you pull on it and will snap back in when your done. You will need to also drop the glove box down which is held by a few screws. The job isn't hard but it's in such an awkward spot. I looked on YouTube and didn't see any how to videos on our generation.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 AM

No - the 7th and 8th Gens are in a completely different place than the prior gens. More difficult to get to. NOT behind glove box.

Two things make it tricky - awkward location, and the opening is smaller than the filter.

The location is basically behind the HVAC/Infotainment center. It is accessed from the passenger side. There are no trim pieces to remove. The cover has a tab that you squeeze to release it from the opening. If you are lucky - the existing filter will have a tab that you can latch on to to remove. If you can't find the tab, you'll just have to squeeze your fingernails around the filter, or use a needle nose pliers to grab it and yank it out. The bottom of the opening is flush with the bottom of the filter, but the filter is 2 - 3 inches taller than the opening.

The best technique I have found to replace is to squeeze the pleated section down, pulling the corners in and up/down, making it almost round, but small enough to squeeze the leading edge into the opening. Then it can be carefully worked the rest of the way in, letting it open up as it is worked in through the opening.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanks! I'll crawl (contort) into the passenger well and see what happens.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM

Finally got into the passenger side well but could not see the cabin filter.

I removed the forward console trim piece (underneath the dash) and saw only hard plastic pieces...none of which seemed (to me anyway) to be related to the cabin filter.

I'm sure it's staring me in the face, yet I can find it.

Any detailed info/pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2017, 03:53 PM

No access to pics right now. It is probably higher and farther forward than you're thinking. The access panel is vertical, about 1" wide and about 7 - 8" high.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is bad engineering in it's finest. I've never not been able to replace the cabin filter myself. But I give up on this one.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Snowy123
This is bad engineering in it's finest. I've never not been able to replace the cabin filter myself. But I give up on this one.
I almost think it was intentional to force you to go to dealership and pay exorbitant prices to replace it.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:08 PM

don't need to remove anything but the filter cover.
squeeze the filter to get it out and the new one in..
insert the cover tab 45 to 90-deg, then swing down.
took me about 50 gallons of sweat under the sun.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 PM

FYI

Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just paid the dealer 25.00 to change mine, I never thought I would ever have a car that I couldn't change the damn cabin filter !!
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
Wow, great video! Thanks for taking the time to do that!

Lou