8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Platinum Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Platinum Steering Issues

My 2016 Maxima Platnium with 11,000 miles on it wanders all over the interstate. Example: I am on a smooth interstate doing 70 mph holding the steering wheel straight and it will wonder left and right. I'm constantly adjusting the steering. If I let go of the steering wheel it does not pull left or right, so it's not an alignment issue. I have a 2017 Explorer and I can hold the wheel straight on the interstate and it holds a straight path. It wanders so bad a few times it's almost pulled me off the road. I'm at the dealer waiting to hear their excuse. Haha Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 04-10-2017, 10:38 AM

You're not a trained tech with an alignment rack, so you can't categorically rule out an alignment issue. Take it in, get it checked. Alignment will be an out of pocket expense, but if there's something broken or malfunctioning, that will be covered under warrantee.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by geosh
My 2016 Maxima Platnium with 11,000 miles on it wanders all over the interstate. Example: I am on a smooth interstate doing 70 mph holding the steering wheel straight and it will wonder left and right. I'm constantly adjusting the steering. If I let go of the steering wheel it does not pull left or right, so it's not an alignment issue. I have a 2017 Explorer and I can hold the wheel straight on the interstate and it holds a straight path. It wanders so bad a few times it's almost pulled me off the road. I'm at the dealer waiting to hear their excuse. Haha Anyone else experiencing this?
You could have a tire with some broken cords on the inside. Good advice on getting to an alignment shop for a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had my 2016 for about a month now, and I have to say, I find it a lot of work to stay straight on the freeway unless it is in sport mode. Compared to my 2005 Acura TL, the steering on the Maxima is much 'looser'. I just had new tires installed / aligned (I bought a set of the 19' wheels with the stock Goodyear Eagles). The Goodyears do feel less floating and bouncy than the Continentals, that's what I expected. So it is better but still not as 'straight' feeling as my TL.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I agree, it does seem to "Wander about" when driving on the expressway. At first I thought it was the road or just me, but it consistent seems to be a lot of work to keep the car straight. Car is less than a month old.
Thx @ deluxe74, I'm going to see how it drives if I put the car in Sports mode.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01 AM

My 17 SR feels like a lawn dart... It is extraordinarily stable, especially at speed. I feel it is the most stable car at 80mph i have owned. It tracks straight and true with no drama. Stock 20 inchers with Goodyear Asymetrico.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by catchme
My 17 SR feels like a lawn dart... It is extraordinarily stable, especially at speed. I feel it is the most stable car at 80mph i have owned. It tracks straight and true with no drama. Stock 20 inchers with Goodyear Asymetrico.
Same here. No steering wheel movement chasing a straight line. Many of our tollways have a grooved surface so that could contribute

Last edited by robtroxel; 04-12-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by catchme
Lawn dart? You're showing your age there Catchme.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Lawn dart? You're showing your age there Catchme.
Lol, yeah I suppose so, but Im not as old as I look!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:09 AM

The steering on my '16 Platinum is very precise, but the tires are really sensitive to road textures. Lines cut across pavement, certain types of concrete, and grates cause the car to become very wobbly at speed, as if I were on a two wheeled vehicle.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:41 PM

My '16 Platinum gives me no trouble with steering unless the roadway is grooved or the concrete roadway blocks have slight offsets at the joints or the roadway has a slant to the side so water will drain off the surface. One particular situation that can upset the steering is when lanes of a concrete pavement merge, and the overlap is a noticeable divergent joint. I have been driving since the late 1940s, so sort of subconsciously react and adjust for those factors without usually even noticing.

All this week (until next Monday), I am driving a rental - Pearlescent white SR with black wheels, black sport spoiler and black rear valence diffuser with the Goodyear asymmetrical tires, and it seems to steer like on railroad tracks. I keep taking my hands off the wheel and telling my wife it is one of these new 'self-driving' vehicles. It rides clearly firmer than my Platinum. It is as if I pumped my Platinum tires up to around 42 psi.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:32 PM

steering theory

just a random thought on the issue based on what i've noticed when i'm driving my 16 s.

my car tracks straight, probably better than any car i've owned. the steering is very responsive, especially compared to the other vehicles i currently own. (f250, expedition, xterra).

i find that if i steer the max as i do the others (subconciously, as loth mentioned you can do when you've driven a long time, and the newest of those is an 07) i get more of a reaction than expected, and overcorrect, and so on, staying behind the curve until i lighten my grip and let the car recover. hasn't been dangerous and its not the cars fault, but i have used up all the lane a few times.when i drive with a lighter touch, no problems. maybe another fighter jet design influence?

not saying there's not any other issues at play with the other cars, just a thought that driving style could be a factor sometimes. it is with me.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:23 PM

My 16 tracks just find in either mode, on all kinds of pavement
Old 04-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Im having the same issues as well on my 16 SR. It has 18K miles on the original tires but i have noticed that over time i have to fight it more and more to keep it going straight.
Im going to get new tires and an alignment soon to see if that helps.