8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Hyperactive Adaptive Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM

Hyperactive Adaptive Cruise

The adaptive cruise control on this thing is awful... 17 SR. It is ultra hyperactive, its on the brakes all the time, its like it wants to keep the following distance to the milimeter. Why the F@#$ is this necessary. It needs a tolerance so that the car will just coast for a couple seconds until it truly needs to brake. I feel like its going to torch my brakes in the first 20K miles, and much less, annoy the hell out of the people behind me. I wish there was a way to reprogram it so it allows a coasting condition for at least say a 10-15 foot following tolerance without using the brakes. When the cruise is on, and the sonar sees a car, it is either on the gas or on the brakes...
Likewise while cruising downhill, the damn thing is too stupid and will use a combination of accelerator and brake to keep the speed EXACTLY where you set it. I can turn the cruise off on the same descent and the car will coast calmly and still stay within 1-3 mph of what it was at the top, with no brake.
Its the only thing i DESPISE about this car so far.
Oh and on a recent trip between San Diego and Phoenix, I was following an Audi S4 on a desolate stretch of an undisclosed road and the Audi was cruising between 93-95mph, I wanted to tuck in behind him and just follow, but the cruise doesnt allow you to set it above 90mph.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:05 AM

I find mine to be extremely smooth, both on deceleration and re-acceleration. So smooth sometimes, that I notice that I "feel" as if I'm going slower than I intended. Sure enough, checking the speedo reveals that I am going 5-7 mph slower because of the car in front of me.

No adaptive cruise can work well in heavy multi-lane traffic. When I was still trying this, I noticed times when the system would beep, or the brakes would intercede, and I couldn't figure out why - as all seemed normal. It took a while to realize that a car changing lanes in front of me , in front of the car in front of me, would fool the ACC into thinking something drastic was going on. It soon became clear that leaving the ACC off was the practice in these circumstances.

The other circumstance that proved to problematic was a truck making a right turn from the lane in front of me. I would see the turn signal and thin - "no problem", but as the truck would actually make the turn of the highway/street, the FEB "sees" a stationary object in the lane - either in front of me, or in front of the car in front of me - and quickly applies braking pressure.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM

mine is so smooth. this was important to I made them test it on freeway in the test drive
befor i bought it. because I have
had bad ACC in the past
Old 04-21-2017, 08:54 PM

OP, if you have a complain about the ACC, you shouldn't be posting or ranting it in a forum, it is not going to do anything for your current situation. Contact the head office of Nissan directly. ACC is there for protection. If you have any insight just like you provided above, let them know.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:12 PM

I believe that your engine is not "braking" constantly while on cruise control. I first thought mine was doing that until I realized the car was not braking, it was just "laying off the throttle" (coasting, using engine braking) momentarily until the speed matched the car in front, or actually 2 cars in front if situation warrants. If you are finding the car is doing that constantly then you probably are not in the ideal traffic situation where cruise should even be used. My 2 cents' worth.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:09 AM

I am a little jealous that there are posters here living in places where cruise control is even a practical option. My wife uses it on rare occasions, but only on long interstate trips in light traffic. I probably last used cruise control sometime in the late 1990s, but not regularly since my last trip to Montana over twenty-five years ago.

The good thing about this is that I found out over forty years ago that I can easily get better fuel efficiency by not using cruise control. That makes perfect sense. I posted a long list of reasons somewhere on this board last month.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:28 AM

Remember you have three choices for distance to the front car you are following.

Last edited by mrgooch; 04-27-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
I believe that your engine is not "braking" constantly while on cruise control. I first thought mine was doing that until I realized the car was not braking, it was just "laying off the throttle" (coasting, using engine braking) momentarily until the speed matched the car in front, or actually 2 cars in front if situation warrants. If you are finding the car is doing that constantly then you probably are not in the ideal traffic situation where cruise should even be used. My 2 cents' worth.
This is very clearly physical braking... It lights the brake lights. This is not engine breaking...
Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by catchme
The adaptive cruise control on this thing is awful... 17 SR. It is ultra hyperactive, its on the brakes all the time, its like it wants to keep the following distance to the milimeter. Why the F@#$ is this necessary. It needs a tolerance so that the car will just coast for a couple seconds until it truly needs to brake. I feel like its going to torch my brakes in the first 20K miles, and much less, annoy the hell out of the people behind me. I wish there was a way to reprogram it so it allows a coasting condition for at least say a 10-15 foot following tolerance without using the brakes. When the cruise is on, and the sonar sees a car, it is either on the gas or on the brakes...
Likewise while cruising downhill, the damn thing is too stupid and will use a combination of accelerator and brake to keep the speed EXACTLY where you set it. I can turn the cruise off on the same descent and the car will coast calmly and still stay within 1-3 mph of what it was at the top, with no brake.
Its the only thing i DESPISE about this car so far.
Oh and on a recent trip between San Diego and Phoenix, I was following an Audi S4 on a desolate stretch of an undisclosed road and the Audi was cruising between 93-95mph, I wanted to tuck in behind him and just follow, but the cruise doesnt allow you to set it above 90mph.

I notice you sometimes use cruise control up and down hills. I have never found a cruise control system that works well on any terrain but somewhat level ground. By definition, cruise control attempts to maintain a set speed, unless it senses it is closing on traffic ahead. Maintaining a set speed up and down even fairly gentle hills results in braking and accelerating in situations where a driver would not. Very fuel inefficient.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:53 AM
I drank what?

OP maybe 90MPH is the limit that Nissan feels it can safely stop the car with the FEB.

Just my 2 cents.
DJ
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 AM

Yea, I think your probably right... They are trying to discourage bad habits!!!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Going over 80 mph is a class 1 misdemeanor (up to 1 year in jail and up to $2,500 fine, 11 years on record) in my lovely state.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dmstangu
Going over 80 mph is a class 1 misdemeanor (up to 1 year in jail and up to $2,500 fine, 11 years on record) in my lovely state.
Out in the open desert of AZ, the speed limit is 75 itself...
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by mrgooch
Remember you have tree choices for distance to the front car you are following.
mrgooch-

I may be crazy but I would never choose a "tree". I'll take the center line every time!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 AM

Interesting that 90 MPH was the highest I could set the cruise control on my 1966 Olds Delta 88. Some things never change.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:12 AM

Due to all these new intelligent car additions I won't be getting another new vehicle. We just bought a 2016 QX50 for the wife and the 360 degree camera angles it shows, while nice, is overkill IMO. I hope you get everything leveled out on your car.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Due to all these new intelligent car additions I won't be getting another new vehicle. We just bought a 2016 QX50 for the wife and the 360 degree camera angles it shows, while nice, is overkill IMO. I hope you get everything leveled out on your car.

Probably overkill for skilled drivers with good flexibility. We olden drivers who are already decades into Medicare no longer have the useful ability to swivel our heads, so need all the assistance we can get. My wife and I use the overhead view every day.

The first thing on our list when we decided we would be moving several years back was that all garage doors at our new home had to be a minimum of 9 feet wide, and double garage doors had to be at least 19' wide. It is very discouraging to see $700,000 homes built with garage doors 8' wide (miss the mirrors by an inch or two), or double garage doors 17' wide (can't open the door on either side of either car more than halfway). Yet the master bathrooms are large enough to live in. I need more room for my car than I do for my fanny.