8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

'16 (maybe '17) Maps Update Available

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM

'16 (maybe '17) Maps Update Available

http://nissan.navigation.com/product...S/NissanNA/USD

Looks like theres an update for all '16 Maxima navigation maps/data.

Anyone order this yet?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:06 AM

Tempted, but all the roads I wish it had opened up in the last year, so they won't be there.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:27 PM

Would this update be free if still under 36k factory warranty or not??

Ian B
Old 05-31-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ian B

Ian B
Most likely not. Nissan has shown time and time again that once you purchase a car, you are SOL for infotainment updates (see people asking about adding CarPlay to 2016 models)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:13 PM

I went ahead and ordered. Will report back of anything to note.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by wsrobert
I went ahead and ordered. Will report back of anything to note.
Way to take one for the team, m'man!
Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just ordered the update as well....I will be curious to see if any changes have been updated.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ian B

Ian B
Navigation updates are never free. There is no warranty issue involved in updating the maps. I know Honda (same map provider) sells 1/2/3 year updates, so that can bring the cost of single update down, but would cost more upfront.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:48 AM

Received the new SD card last night and updated accordingly. Though havent driven more than a few miles since.

So far, I can't see much difference. Some icons (gas stations) are updated and there of course does seem to be more and better POI info. But what I'll be more interested in seeing/understanding is if theres better routing information. And better use of the traffic data available for said routing.

Will update as I uncover more.

Oh. And the update itself is pretty straightforward. Though does involve putting in new card, taking out, putting in old card, taking out, putting in new card. Rinse and repeat about 4 times. Odd. But appears to be some formatting/backing up taking place.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM

Received the new SD card last night and updated accordingly. Though havent driven more than a few miles since.

So far, I can't see much difference. Some icons (gas stations) are updated and there of course does seem to be more and better POI info. But what I'll be more interested in seeing/understanding is if theres better routing information. And better use of the traffic data available for said routing.

Will update as I uncover more.

Oh. And the update itself is pretty straightforward. Though does involve putting in new card, taking out, putting in old card, taking out, putting in new card. Rinse and repeat about 4 times. Odd. But appears to be some formatting/backing up taking place.
Thanks for update. I am glad that updates can be done without dealers "assistance". I think this (the fact that you have to enter your serial number during the purchase) also proves that each SD Card is tied to the specific car/headunit serial. Which basically means that you wont be able to buy a card from ebay and have it work, nor "share" the card.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:23 PM

Question

http://nissan.navigation.com/product...S/NissanNA/USD

Looks like theres an update for all '16 Maxima navigation maps/data.

Anyone order this yet?
Just wondering; there's no way that this update includes Apple CarPlay for 2016 Maxima owners, could it?
Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FireFish
Just wondering; there's no way that this update includes Apple CarPlay for 2016 Maxima owners, could it?
I installed the update on Monday and didn't see anything related to Apple Play. I do notice some changes to "Points of Interest", the Speed limit indicator shows the updated speed limits around the Atlanta area. I also see the update includes new roads that have recently opened. I will continue to check any changes as I drive more..
Old 06-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Thanks for that update. It's unfortunate because the hardware can certainly support it.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by FireFish
I doubt it. Nissan would probably advertise such an update.