8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Buying Maxima - have to provide two emergency contacts? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 PM

Buying Maxima - have to provide two emergency contacts? Why?

We're in the process of buying a new Maxima with financing through Nissan Canada. I was told I need to provide info for two emergency contacts but not why. Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Dab

This is for non-payment. If you fail to make a payment they will attempt to contact you emergency contacts. So in truth they are not emergency contacts for your "emergency" it is for their's meaning they want their money and want to contact someone close to you to find you or their car. Its smoke in mirrors, not a bad thing but just another legal way of them finding you when you dont want to be found. They would't use this tactic if they couldn't find people in the past.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 PM

Thanks. Am I legally obliged to do this?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Dab

Yes, if you are purchasing or going throu financing throu nissan, i only put my wifes name, LOL and they were fine with it but not sure how it is in canada laws might be diffrent
Old 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM

I have to give two different people as my wife and I are both signing for the financing.

Last edited by stodge; 06-25-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
Thanks. Am I legally obliged to do this?

No, but if you don't they won't finance the car.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
No, but if you don't they won't finance the car.
Ok,thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM

You must be new to financing a car? It's been always this way here in the U.S whenever you finance your car, it always ask two reference.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 PM

I financed my car through NMAC, and I did not put down any emergency contact information. My name and my wife's name were both on the paperwork. Nobody else's.
This was at a dealer in Tennessee.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 PM

I have never provided any emergency contact information when financing my last/only 3 new cars (only car loans I have acquired)...in the US. Never have been asked for such information. First was at age 24...but I already had good credit and it has only gotten better over the past 10 yrs since. All 3 cars were in my name only.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
You must be new to financing a car? It's been always this way here in the U.S whenever you finance your car, it always ask two reference.
I've financed several cars in in US and have never heard of this. Perhaps it's for people with a lower FICO score?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Polarisdb
I've financed several cars in in US and have never heard of this. Perhaps it's for people with a lower FICO score?
Yeah, never heard of this crap either...NEVER, and I've financed several cars at both the dealership and come in with my own bank.

I'd refuse outright to provide that extraneous info. If they don't want your business after that, it is what it is.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:40 AM
I drank what?

Originally Posted by H Town
I financed my car through NMAC, and I did not put down any emergency contact information. My name and my wife's name were both on the paperwork. Nobody else's.
This was at a dealer in Tennessee.
Me either and I am from NJ.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by stodge
We're in the process of buying a new Maxima with financing through Nissan Canada. I was told I need to provide info for two emergency contacts but not why. Any ideas?
I would press them for the "WHY". Ask them what the emergency would entail and how it would impact the two people. I would not want a financial institution to know the personal information of two people I know, especially if you don't know how that information is to be used, and I am sure the two selected people would not want to be hounded by phone calls from the finance people.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 AM

I have asked for clarification but someone I know at another dealership said it's not uncommon up here in Canada.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:49 PM

Places that do "we tote the note" type financing and other higher risk financing will ask for references. A friend put me down when his daughter financed a car through Drive Time. If you refuse they will still sell you the car, for cash or with your own financing..

High risk loans are..well.....high risk. lol
Old 06-26-2017, 04:12 PM

I'm definitely not a high risk and this is a big Nissan dealer. Thanks all.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I would press them for the "WHY". Ask them what the emergency would entail and how it would impact the two people. I would not want a financial institution to know the personal information of two people I know, especially if you don't know how that information is to be used, and I am sure the two selected people would not want to be hounded by phone calls from the finance people.

Exactly!

I have never been asked for any other names when financing a Nissan. Both times I've done it (in Iowa), I've told them I want it financed thought my own bank and they have arranged it for me (with rates as good or better than I would have gotten by myself). I would not appreciate a "friend" using my name on their loan application.

Stodge: Try going to your own bank for the loan and don't use Nissan financing.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Max8
Exactly!

I have never been asked for any other names when financing a Nissan. Both times I've done it (in Iowa), I've told them I want it financed thought my own bank and they have arranged it for me (with rates as good or better than I would have gotten by myself). I would not appreciate a "friend" using my name on their loan application.

Stodge: Try going to your own bank for the loan and don't use Nissan financing.
I told the dealer I won't provide the information. Nissan is financing me at 0% but the bank would probably be at at least 4%.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Financed through NMAC. I too was never asked for that extra info when I bought mine in Waco, TX...