8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Does anyone know why?

Old 07-15-2017, 02:13 PM

Does anyone know why?

According to the maintenance schedule we should REPLACE the brake fluid every 20k miles, Under severe conditions every 10k miles. I don't think changing the brake fluid was even mentioned in the maintenance schedule for my '09 Max. Seems a bit over-kill to me,
Old 07-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
According to the maintenance schedule we should REPLACE the brake fluid every 20k miles, Under severe conditions every 10k miles. I don't think changing the brake fluid was even mentioned in the maintenance schedule for my '09 Max. Seems a bit over-kill to me,
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so over time, water gets absorbed into it. Since the reservoir is not a perfect seal, this fluid should be changed. Otherwise, the water within it will boil under heavy use, causing air gaps as it boils and creating a spongy pedal. That being said, 20K miles is not gospel, and seems a bit soon to me.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by me9798
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so over time, water gets absorbed into it. Since the reservoir is not a perfect seal, this fluid should be changed. Otherwise, the water within it will boil under heavy use, causing air gaps as it boils and creating a spongy pedal. That being said, 20K miles is not gospel, and seems a bit soon to me.
This is true, but 20k miles,damn.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2young2retire
This is true, but 20k miles,damn.
If you do this every 2 years, that should be enough. If you had DOT 5 synthetic fluid that should be more moisture resistant. I believe Nissan uses DOT 4 spec fluid. Brake fluid changes are one of the most overlooked maintenence items that can cost big money later if the moisture is not removed.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:35 PM

The owners manual says to replace brake fluid every 10k miles...... Ah sorry OP missed the other part about the 20k.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
The owners manual says to replace brake fluid every 10k miles...... Ah sorry OP missed the other part about the 20k.
10 K seems excessive but if you live in a humid area maybe not a bad idea.
When bought my 2016 new - Nissan had a free car maintenence incentive and I think their schedule called for a brake fluid change @15000 miles which I had done a little later @ 17K. Either way Nissan seems to be confirming the need to stay after this part of the program on the brakes
Old 07-23-2017, 07:11 AM

Here is a trick I learned for my manual 7 speed Corvette. Used a turkey baster to suck up old clutch fluid from the reservoir. Then replaced what was removed with new fluid.

Do the same with brake fluid every oil change and you will be home free.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Nice idea if one is very careful on spillage around the painted parts. I hear there in a brake fluid testor that gives moisture readings. Would this approach really get out all the fluid in the lower lines enough to change the composition of the moisture level? Certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM

My guess is it would get rid of most. When I did it for the clutch fluid we would remove fluid, add new, then push the petal down about 20 times and repeat. Each time the fluid would look cleaner.
Remove the fluid from the res, top off with fresh, drive for a day and repeat. My bet it will replace all of it in time.

I doubt it would be as good as a complete fluid change topped off with bleeding the brakes. But if you do it often it should remove enough of the old fluid to keep you in good shape.

Last edited by Thunderjet; 07-23-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Search this Thread