8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Sirius/XM Tuner Location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sirius/XM Tuner Location?

Hello all, new 2017 Maxima SL owner here. Im wondering if anyone knows where the sirius/xm tuner is located at. I was able to find the bose amplifier under the rear deck but have no clue the whereabouts of the sirius tuner.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 PM

It is integrated into the radio. Why do you need to mess with it?
Old 07-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ah. Thought that they integrated it. Thanks.

Going to unplug the antenna for a few months to bypass the free trial shut off signal. Thinking it will probably be easier for me to go to the C pillar... or I can just go directly under the liner to unplug it.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM

I'm confused. You want to unplug the antenna so your trial doesn't get shut off? You realize that if you can't get the signal for that, you wont get service, right? Why would you ask here to do something illegal and unethical? Also, there is no way to avoid a kill signal - it may work for a time, but when they change the encryption keys, you will lose access. So either way, you will no longer have access.

Once the trail expires, just call Sirius XM and complain. They will give you 6 months for $30 which is totally reasonable.

If you are worried about Nissan Connect services, again without an antenna you won't get service. And they will notice your service lapse on the backend and just stop allowing you to connect to the service via web or cell phone.

So basically, there is no easy way to do what you're asking. Stop being a cheapskate, and pay for the service if you find it useful. You just bought a $40,000 car but are worried about the $60/yr charge? That is literally 0.75% the price of the car over a 5 year lease.

Last edited by jgilbs; 07-20-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its illegal for me to unplug an antenna for a few months on a car that I outright own? Wow! I had no clue! Thanks for the info yeesh...

I wouldn't consider taking advantage of Sirius only sending out disconnect signals for a few months "unethical". It's being observant and smart. If you prefer to pay x dollars a month for sat service, that's your prerogative.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrneil001
Its illegal for me to unplug an antenna for a few months on a car that I outright own? Wow! I had no clue! Thanks for the info yeesh...

I wouldn't consider taking advantage of Sirius only sending out disconnect signals for a few months "unethical". It's being observant and smart. If you prefer to pay x dollars a month for sat service, that's your prerogative.
Theft of service is strictly illegal, same as going into Best Buy and stealing a radio is. Plain and simple. Same way if you steal cable or stop your electric meter, you could potentially be prosecuted. If you want to goto jail, then that's your prerogative. "Yeesh."

Either way, it won't work due to them changing encryption keys. Yet, you seem to think someone who can't even do basic research to see where the XM module is located can outsmart teams of engineers and developers who dedicated many man hours to preventing this exact issue.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Administrator

I'm really confused on what you're trying to accomplish.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
I'm really confused on what you're trying to accomplish.
He's basically trying to figure out how to steal XM Radio service.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
He's basically trying to figure out how to steal XM Radio service.
Yep, he thinks if he misses the "kill signal" then plugs the antenna back in that he will then be able to obtain satellite without paying the owner of the service for said service.

Theft, unethical, and douchebaggery, the trifecta of scumbag behavior.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Dab

LMAO, "Jgibs said, "You just bought a $40,000 car but are worried about the $60/yr charge?" Like whoa
And hes right about the signal portion but i would like to add, you XM radio is identified by a code which is registered by XM this code has a active trace within the storage bank of the company. This means it also has an active GPS and tracks movement and reciept of signal. Sooooo, your trying to disconnect something that will mess up your reciever.