8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Looking for Advice on future Platinum purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 06:11 AM

Looking for Advice on future Platinum purchase

Hello MAXHEADS,
I am looking into getting a Platinum trim Maxima. I own a 2010 version of the Platinum based on the options I have.
Anyway can I get input on PROs and CONs of the 2016 Platinum vs 2016 SL.
I plan to make a purchase in 4 to 6 months so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM

360 Camera!!!

When you go to test drive, ask your sales-rep to let you drive a platinum and perform a bunch of parking maneuvers on the car lot. It's an amazingly useful feature!

good luck with your purchase and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you trim you decide.

Lou
Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM

The 360 camera is one feature I wanted but I couldn't afford the Platinum and went with the SL instead. I do miss having that feature I've never had.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:30 PM

If you can a great deal on the platinum, go for it. But if they aren't budging on the price, the SL is still one heck of a car. The platinum adds some nice stuff, but if you read around this site you will see some of those extra features don't always work as well as you might hope.

Some folks even prefer the interior trim, seats, and headlights of the SL
Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Both are fine cars. I had to have the Platinum because the view from this car is not the greatest, and the all-around sky view of the Platinum is something both my wife and I use almost every time we park. We also use the rear power window screen of the Platinum, keeping it closed during the warm half of the year, and open the cool half. This screen not only helps protect the rear seat upholstery, but the necks of our granddaughters or anyone sitting in the back seats.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Platinum has cool gadgets.... I would also lean towards all the tidbits you get with the camera. As these folks mentioned about the 360 deg view which is great. I never EVER thought I would get used to not looking back while i reverse in quick parking situations... but i dont anymore. Plus the MOD option is cool. I think thats the sensing moving objects around the car while in reverse. I dont know if the SL has that. The increase from 8 to 11 speakers isnt bad either if your into more sounds coming from additional areas. The auto dimming of the outside mirrors as well as them tilting down (or maybe even heated). That may just be in the Plat version. Do you NEED all of these things? naw.... but they are nice to have!

Could you get the SL now and add exactly what you want later? Sure... you might even save yourself some money and choose the exact 3rd party stuff you want...

good thing is you have options! But having it all in the Platinum from the start? That works for me!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 AM

I checked a 2016 Platinum over the weekend but the mileage was high and the dealer didn't want to budge until I walked away. The ride was unbelievable. The SL is an option I need the spoiler and the panoramic sunroof. The spoiler for me and the Sunroof for my granddaughter.
I am looking into a Nissan Certified Pre Owned for the extra piece of mind. Anyone familiar with that? Any pros and Cons?
Old 08-31-2017, 11:45 AM

I bought a Nissan precertified from dealer last September w 15k miles. It was in mint condition and now at 30k miles w no issues.

Ian B
Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 AM

2016 SL carfax shoes 1 accident

Ok guys I have been watching a 2016 SL here is the skinny. The car fax shows an accident. Front left. 19k miles the car is from up north. Fully loaded and clean. The price is down to 24k should I push to get the price lower? Should I consider even buying this based on the fact it is at Major Dealership? My son is a manager at Firestone he will have his Master tech look it over. Thoughts please?
Old 09-06-2017, 09:19 AM

Considering the accident, I'd say it's overpriced, you should be more around $22k. The car isn't considered "clean" anymore, therefore you shouldn't pay an "outstanding" price. Goto Edmunds.com and price this out, you'll see what I'm talking about. $24k isn't horrible, but if you ever wanted to trade this in the accident will count against you, so why pay for it now.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM

I will also chime in that the Around View camera is SUPER useful. Not only for parking, but I used it when we were stuck in line at the US/Canada border for 5 hours at night. I'd turn on the camera, pull up to the car in front of me, put the car in park and take a nap. When the car in front of me moved, the MOD would BEEP and wake me up. I'd lather, rinse, repeat until we finally made it through.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
I will also chime in that the Around View camera is SUPER useful. Not only for parking, but I used it when we were stuck in line at the US/Canada border for 5 hours at night. I'd turn on the camera, pull up to the car in front of me, put the car in park and take a nap. When the car in front of me moved, the MOD would BEEP and wake me up. I'd lather, rinse, repeat until we finally made it through.

Dude, you sold me again. I never even thought about using it for that...
Old 09-09-2017, 11:19 PM

Pulled the trigger!

Well guys I pulled the trigger and I got it at 23k. I am happy and I appreciate al the advice. Thanks Maxima Heads!

2010 SV 113k Trade.

Finished product next to a 2015 SR Altima. 20% tint front/rear passenger windows 30% rear window.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
The 360 camera is one feature I wanted but I couldn't afford the Platinum and went with the SL instead. I do miss having that feature I've never had.
What he said.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 PM

Nice looking car. The OP already got his, but I thought I'd add another feature only found on the Platinum that I love: ventilated seats. My back and *** tend to sweat in a car, and I decided I wanted ventilated seats on my next car. I shopped Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Toyota Avalon, Kia Optima, Subaru Legacy and Nissan Altima and Maxima. Most of these don't have ventilated seats as an option on any trim level, but the Avalon, Optima and Maxima do on their top trim levels. I narrowed down to the Optima and Maxima and bought a used 2016 Maxima Platinum. I use the ventilated seats nearly all the time.

I also like the overhead 360 camera view, memory seat and steering wheel settings and automatic wipers that come in the Platinum.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM

Deanbrew that is the one option I miss. My 2010 had the ventilated seats. I decided to forgo that option and pull the trigger on the deal.