8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Whining Noise

Old 09-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Whining Noise

I'm getting a Whining noise when car is running. It intensifies when I turn the wheel left or right and is definitely coming from the passenger side. I have searched but haven't really found anything definitive other than it may be the electric power steering module. Anyone know what and where it is located? I'm worried my dealer won't cover it because I have an aftermarket intake on the car. They already wouldn't check a vibration I had because my car is lowered. I'm not sure how they would relate the intake to the whining noise but they will probably find a way. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM

Its the electric power steering pump. Its annoying, but that's what it is... Open the hood with the car on, and have someone turn the wheel. You'll see exactly where its coming from. gotta love electric power steering (sarcasm).
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Its the electric power steering pump. Its annoying, but that's what it is... Open the hood with the car on, and have someone turn the wheel. You'll see exactly where its coming from. gotta love electric power steering (sarcasm).
Waitt so your saying they are going to tell me it's normal? It's way too loud to be normal. It whined before, when u opened the hood you could hear it. Now I can hear it inside the car while driving. That's too much. That can't be ok.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:01 PM

mikeymak17 - I think CNTRT is probably correct regarding the source, and I have seen others here mention the noise. But mine has never made such a noise, and if it did, I would take it to the dealer and tell him the car did not make that noise when new, and shouldn't be making it now. Have him start another new Maxima on his lot and show him it does not make that noise. I would push very hard for a repair under warranty.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
mikeymak17 - I think CNTRT is probably correct regarding the source, and I have seen others here mention the noise. But mine has never made such a noise, and if it did, I would take it to the dealer and tell him the car did not make that noise when new, and shouldn't be making it now. Have him start another new Maxima on his lot and show him it does not make that noise. I would push very hard for a repair under warranty.
Yeah if it's louder than you've heard before and you can hear it in the cabin, get it checked out
Originally Posted by mikeymax17
Waitt so your saying they are going to tell me it's normal? It's way too loud to be normal. It whined before, when u opened the hood you could hear it. Now I can hear it inside the car while driving. That's too much. That can't be ok.
If it's that loud, definitely get it checked out. I park in a garage, and when I pull into the garage with the radio off and I'm driving slowly while turning the wheel, I can hear it with my windows open. But it doesn't overpower anything with the windows closed. I don't think I hear it then...

if it's really loud, that's not normal
Old 09-20-2017, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by mikeymax17

If you're married, then I'd check the passenger seat...
Old 09-20-2017, 09:05 AM

Ok so I went to the dealer and we figured out what the problem was. The hard power steering line was pressed up against the strut bar and the strut bar bracket, which is what was causing the sound to travel into the cabin. I stuffed some foam in between the bar and hose for now and trimmed the bracket. The sound has definitely gone back to the normal whine you hear only when hood is open. Have to find a better solution when I have time.

Last edited by mikeymax17; 09-20-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Just be sure to keep lots of duct tape and baling wire close at hand. Also keep extra on hand for CNTRT; he may need some for his Maxima.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Just be sure to keep lots of duct tape and baling wire close at hand. Also keep extra on hand for CNTRT; he may need some for his Maxima.
lol I need a new maxima for my maxima.

My steering pump whines the "normal" amount though. Mine isn't too excessive. It's just a very different experience coming from hydraulic pumps that make no such noise
Old 09-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by guitarman
If you're married, then I'd check the passenger seat...
Hey, you stole my line.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Hey, you stole my line.
Me and Berle... that's our M.O.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:01 PM

I'm getting this loud dentist drill whine from passage side. I'm not sure if it the speakers or what but it goes with the accelerator when I tap it. Wtf is that, I hate that ****. Is it the same thing?

Search this Thread