8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

CVT question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

CVT question

Currently car shopping and really low the loss of the Gen 8 Maxima. As I researched,c u was getting excited about all the features, the engine, but then came to the tranny. According to Consumer Report, the 3.5 V-6 is matted with a six speed automatic; however, everywhere else I read says it comes with a CVT. I've never driven a car with a CVT but am told, by quite a number of people, that as a performance car enthusiast,city will not like it. Furthermore, Ice read quite a large number of negative reviews regarding this tranny. Would like to here what you guys,con this forum, have to say about it.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:48 PM

The Maxima has a CVT.

The CVT is great. A CVT has unlimited ratios, and no shifting (because people don't understand the CVT and complained the lack of shifting, Nissan built in fake shift points in certain conditions) A CVT gives the best performance and economy.

I love mine
Old 09-20-2017, 06:28 PM

This gen CVT is outstanding. Previous gen was not good. Not unusual in the automotive world that it takes a few kicks at the can to get it right
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
The Maxima has a CVT.

The CVT is great. A CVT has unlimited ratios, and no shifting (because people don't understand the CVT and complained the lack of shifting, Nissan built in fake shift points in certain conditions) A CVT gives the best performance and economy.

I love mine
My first CVT was in a 2007 Nissan Altima SL. Upgraded to a 2017 Maxima SL. Love the car and was really impressed with the old Altima. 136,000 miles and no problems of any kind. Just wanted something more sporty and Lexus-like. Personally I love the CVT, always in the sweet spot of the power band, economical on gas, and for me, very reliable. Matter of fact the CVT was one of the main reasons I chose the Maxima over a comparably equipped Impala. Oh and the 300 HP V-6 which gets great gas mileage for a mid-size car, nevermind that the Maxima is full-size! And yes, the CVT does not shift per se and I really like that for my everyday driver. For play I drive my C6 Vette and rather enjoy the kick-in-the-butt shifting with its old-school transmission.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Never owned a car with a CVT. Our new Maxima is the first and it is FANTASTIC! I almost listened to the internet and avoided this car because of it. When I actually test drove it. I was sold. I must agree though it is certainly odd getting use to it at first. Our last car before the Maxima was a 2015 Chevrolet Impala 2LTZ. Fully loaded minus the 20 inch wheels and adaptive cruise control.

Last edited by FattiesGoneWild; 09-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:49 PM

The CVT in the maxima is great but when compare it to the DSG transmissions i feel it lacks the performance characteristics that you're looking for.
If you want something with a performance automatic get a car with a DSG as you will feel every gear oppose to the fake gears of the CVT.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Mike,

All I can say is, Head to a dealer and take one out for a test drive, its free and the only real way to find out for yourself.

The CVT does have a bit of a different feel to it, but I can't understand why so many reviewers hate on it so badly. Perhaps it does not "feel" sporty, but it still propels the car from 0-60 in under 6 so the complaints are largely unfounded. I personally like the feel of the CVT because it glides up to speed more smoothly, and its in the sweet spot for power when you need to do passing maneuvers on the highway.

But again, the best way to find out is to drive one yourself, you may be pleasantly surprised
Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 PM

I have a 2016 Maxima SR with 22k miles. I know all about the CVT at this point. My last 2 cars were GTI's a mk5 and mk6. Both i drove about 60k each both DSG.
The cvt has fake gears and you feel it. You dont get the instant response like you do in the DSG. When changing lanes in the CVT it lags for a sec before kicking in. While in the DSG you would downshift into 3rd and instant power. The fake gears make it impossible to drive consistently as 1st gear sometimes ends at 50mph or 55 or 60 or 65. It depends how the car feels. When driving spirited and downshifting into a turn you need to know what gear to shift into. My DSG's 1st ended at 40mph, 2nd @ 65, 3rd 90. It made spirited driving fun as you took control and shifted up and down at the best time. I had no problem down shifting into 2nd for a 35mph turn. In the CVT you slap the down shift like a crazy person until the transmission tells you its in the lowest possible fake gear when making a fast turn at 35mph. Its kills the fun out of the car in my opinion.
The good thing about this is i dont drive like a mad man any more. I never find myself speeding at 100+ or cutting people off while down shifting around them. I have yet to get pulled over (knock on wood) and i find myself going more with the flow of traffic instead of weaving in and out of traffic.
While i hate the CVT for its performance reasons i do like it for its chillness, smoothness and comfort.
Dont get me wrong, you can beat the hell out of the CVT and it goes. Its just missing the driver interaction you get with the manual gear box in a DSG to make it fun and engaging.
Im stuck with the car for now and i like my less stressful drives to work plus the amazing seat it has. Im sure at some point ill get sick of it and trade her in but my goal is at least 100k before i do that.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by MelodicMurder
The CVT in the maxima is great but when compare it to the DSG transmissions i feel it lacks the performance characteristics that you're looking for.
If you want something with a performance automatic get a car with a DSG as you will feel every gear oppose to the fake gears of the CVT.
A DSG is simply VWs dual clutch transmission. It still has traditional gears and is limited to those fixed ratios. A CVT is more efficient and doesn't have to shift; therefore, there is no acceleration lag at shift.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 PM

A DSG is simply VWs dual clutch transmission. It still has traditional gears and is limited to those fixed ratios. A CVT is more efficient and doesn't have to shift; therefore, there is no acceleration lag at shift.
Nissan added lag when shifting by adding fake shift points. It will hit 6k rpm then shift.
If you accelerate hard out of a turn it will stay at 6k rpm and is noticeably faster but its not easy to get it to do that.
Also, there's lag when down shifting. The CVT has to adjust which creates a hesitation when flooring it.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Nissan added lag when shifting by adding fake shift points. It will hit 6k rpm then shift.
If you accelerate hard out of a turn it will stay at 6k rpm and is noticeably faster but its not easy to get it to do that.
Also, there's lag when down shifting. The CVT has to adjust which creates a hesitation when flooring it.

The simulated shift points are dependent on mode, throttle position and other factors. The CVT doesn't downshift. It changes ratios. I own a 2016, It doesn't lag, and it doesn't hesitate when flooring it.

Perhaps you are not accustomed to how it sounds/feels. It is certainly not a DSG (it's better)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:39 PM

The CVTs built before the generation 7 Maxima were not as good or smooth as most drivers would like. I drove my 7th gen Maxima for seven years, and grew to love the CVT. It is not the tranny for serious sports car driving, but is wonderful for family sedan style driving. The CVT in the 8th gen is easily the best CVT I have ever driven. I love 'playing' with it in various driving situations. I pay a lot more attention to the tach than to the speedometer when driving a car with CVT.

I knew within a year of buying my 2016 Platinum that I would only consider CVT powered vehicles in the future. I easily get 33 MPG on open interstate trips, and suspect I might be edging 34 MPG if I took time to carefully measure. In a 300 HP vehicle!

I still recall my surprise the first year I drove my CVT powered 7th gen. I would pull out to pass a car on a two-lane road with a short passing stretch and floor the gas pedal, and the Maxima would leap from 45 MPH to 85 MPH before I could get my foot off the gas. Stimulating!ll

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-20-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:35 AM

I have been driving my Max for 1 year and 4 months now. I love the CVT with fake shifting. I have a lot of family members and friend with me in the car and no one feels any deference between the CVT and regular gearbox and actually some of them got shocked that the car is shifting loool.

What I love the most about the current CVT in my car is the fuel efficiency. Last time I traveled 3 weeks ago, I drove 802 km ( 498 mile ) with one tank. and this is amazing for a 6 Cyl car with 300 horse power.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:14 AM

First of all I love the CVT. I have a 2011 Murano along with my 2017 Platinum Max and had a 7th generation Maxima before the new car. The only thing I do not like is that the CVT fluid change procedure in now complicated whereas with the old max and the Murano it was easy, easier than changing the engine oil. Now with no dipstick and having to remove a plug on the side of the transmission to check the fluid level it is no longer a 15 minute job.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:04 AM

I like the CVT but there are some characteristics that should be noted. I don't generally drive fast as a lot of my daily driving is in slow traffic.

1) When you accelerate, the CVT wants to keep the revs low, so they drop and you have to prod the pedal more to increase acceleration. If you don't keep the revs up when accelerating, the transmission sort of bogs down as it doesn't want to let you achieve higher revs unless you really poke the pedal.

2) Between 45-60km/h, the torque converter will lock/unlock so trying to maintain a steady speed is difficult. The revs will bob up and down as it locks/unlocks which can be mildly annoying.

3) Don't use cruise control between 45-60km/h as the car will buck like a bronco as the torque locks/unlocks and the revs go up and down. Very annoying.

4) When you let off the gas, the car doesn't slow down. There's no engine braking, which means you'll have to use the brakes a lot more in really slow traffic.

I believe 1-3 are somewhat improved by sport mode.

To head off any comments that I suck at driving; yes quite probably I do. But given my driving style (been driving for almost 30 years and had CVTs for almost 10) this is what I experience with my '17 SL.

Good luck!!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by stodge
I like the CVT but there are some characteristics that should be noted. I don't generally drive fast as a lot of my daily driving is in slow traffic.

1) When you accelerate, the CVT wants to keep the revs low, so they drop and you have to prod the pedal more to increase acceleration. If you don't keep the revs up when accelerating, the transmission sort of bogs down as it doesn't want to let you achieve higher revs unless you really poke the pedal.

2) Between 45-60km/h, the torque converter will lock/unlock so trying to maintain a steady speed is difficult. The revs will bob up and down as it locks/unlocks which can be mildly annoying.

3) Don't use cruise control between 45-60km/h as the car will buck like a bronco as the torque locks/unlocks and the revs go up and down. Very annoying.

4) When you let off the gas, the car doesn't slow down. There's no engine braking, which means you'll have to use the brakes a lot more in really slow traffic.

I believe 1-3 are somewhat improved by sport mode.

To head off any comments that I suck at driving; yes quite probably I do. But given my driving style (been driving for almost 30 years and had CVTs for almost 10) this is what I experience with my '17 SL.

Good luck!!
I agree with this. I find the behavior of the transmission better in sport mode, it is more eager to "downshift" for a passing move but the throttle isn't too jumpy. The CVT works very well with the V6, not so much in the 4 cylinder cars.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The good thing about this is i dont drive like a mad man any more. I never find myself speeding at 100+ or cutting people off while down shifting around them. I have yet to get pulled over (knock on wood) and i find myself going more with the flow of traffic instead of weaving in and out of traffic.
While i hate the CVT for its performance reasons i do like it for its chillness, smoothness and comfort.
Dont get me wrong, you can beat the hell out of the CVT and it goes. Its just missing the driver interaction you get with the manual gear box in a DSG to make it fun and engaging.
Im stuck with the car for now and i like my less stressful drives to work plus the amazing seat it has. Im sure at some point ill get sick of it and trade her in but my goal is at least 100k before i do that.
I wholeheartedly agree. My last 2 cars were a 2004 RSX S and a 2013 Civic SI. People were always messing with me to race and I was more than willing most of the time. I'm not a pup, 58 in January, and I'm sick of all the constant interaction these cars need. I had alot of FUN, but it was time to chill out. Maxima is a beautiful car inside and out and a perfect highway cruiser. As a bonus, my gas mileage with regular gas is between 28-30MPG, with 80% highway driving.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:18 PM

0 - 60 in 6 sec's? try 5.4! The 8th gen Maxima does 0- 60 in 5.4 second's

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Mike,

All I can say is, Head to a dealer and take one out for a test drive, its free and the only real way to find out for yourself.

The CVT does have a bit of a different feel to it, but I can't understand why so many reviewers hate on it so badly. Perhaps it does not "feel" sporty, but it still propels the car from 0-60 in under 6 so the complaints are largely unfounded. I personally like the feel of the CVT because it glides up to speed more smoothly, and its in the sweet spot for power when you need to do passing maneuvers on the highway.

But again, the best way to find out is to drive one yourself, you may be pleasantly surprised
The 8th gen Max does 0 - 60 in 5.4 sec's. lookup on youtube 0 - 60 max and you have guys doing the 60 in 5.2. that's for a Maxima! and people paying 20k more for .5 sec faster and a badge? gtfo! 2017 MAX platinum white w/ M.E WHEEL'S!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Mike,

As other have said/noted, the CVT is a reliable and efficient transmission...BUT, sporty/sports oriented it is NOT. I traded a 2015 Mustang Ecoboost, with a 6 Speed Automatic transmission and a 3.55 Limited Slip rear axle ratio. If you like how traditional cars shift, especially sports oriented cars, you WON'T like the Maxima's CVT transmission. I really miss the connected feel of the Mustang's transmission. As such, after 13 months and 11K miles, I am going to either sell or trade my Maxima in on a new 2018 Mustang GT. In my humble opinion, if you are a "Performance Car enthusiast" and seeking a car that drives like one, DON'T buy the Maxima. The CVT just isn't a "sporty transmission"...despite being efficient, quick (not fast, but "quick") and a bit fun to drive (it is still a full size sedan...again, NOT a "Performance Car or Enthusiasts Car).

Go drive one to make up your mind and form you own opinion; I have had quite a few sports/performance cars and the 16 Maxima isn't one of them nor it is a "Sports Car"...and it does it drive like one, even though Nissan promotes the Maxima as "The Four Door Sports Car"; it is NOT. It is, in truth and fact, a smaller full size sedan with a "sporty nature" and better handling than most full size sedans on the market today.

Last edited by AG2016; 09-22-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:55 AM

I completely disagree that the Maxima isn't sporty. My wife has an Eco Boost Mustang as well, and I prefer the Maxima. I have also owned several sports cars, such as 280ZX and 200SX, 5 speed mustangs, etc.

I prefer the CVT.

The list above just shows that the author doesn't understand the operation of the CVT. I find it awesome that as I accelerate under some conditions, the RPM stays the same while the car continues to accelerate.

By the way, CVTs are banned in F1 racing. You can do the research, but it is because they give the cars so equipped an unfair advantage over other transmissions.

They DO "feel" different, I'll give you that.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:12 AM

I completely disagree that the Maxima isn't sporty. My wife has an Eco Boost Mustang as well, and I prefer the Maxima. I have also owned several sports cars, such as 280ZX and 200SX, 5 speed mustangs, etc.

I prefer the CVT.

The list above just shows that the author doesn't understand the operation of the CVT. I find it awesome that as I accelerate under some conditions, the RPM stays the same while the car continues to accelerate.

By the way, CVTs are banned in F1 racing. You can do the research, but it is because they give the cars so equipped an unfair advantage over other transmissions.

They DO "feel" different, I'll give you that.
Mason,

Before you make accusations that "the author doesn't understand the operation of the CVT", let me point out that a few things:

1. I have had/driven two Nissan's with CVT's before: two Altima's with the 3.5 V6..both were driven for four plus years and 60K plus miles, so I do in fact fully understand how a CVT works Over my years of driving, I have owned/driven: 3 Mustang GT's, a Camaro, a 280Z and Honda Prelude...I have driven enough "Sports Cars" to know what to expect from a "ground up" enginnered "Sports Car" and I know what to expect from a FWD car with a CVT.

2. I have been driving, working on/with engines and transmission of cars for 25+ years...and I have an engineering background. Sometimes it is better to "keep one's mouth shut and be thought foolish...than to open it in a public forum an remove all doubt as to the fact one is foolish."

3. The Maxima and Ecoboost Mustang have similar levels of acceleration, with each producing power differently...and utilizing that power to accelerate differently as well. The Maxima is "quick"...around a 6 second 0-60 sprint and a 14.2- 14.3 quarter mile at/around 100 MPH. On the other hand, the EB Mustang is "quicker"...and "edges in" on being considered "fast": 5.3 second 0-60 sprint and a 13.7- 13.8 quarter mile at/around 99 MPH. Stock times for both cars are so close, in normal everyday situations, one will be hard pressed to really "feel" the difference. I drove my Ecoboost for 13 months and I have had my Maxima for 13 months...they both perform similarly. However, with the addition of one modification (Ford Racing Tune for $700.00), the Ecoboost Mustang picks up around 30 horsepower and 30-40 foot pounds of torque. This simple modification reduces the EB Mustang's 0 to 60 time to a tad under 5 seconds (4.9ish) and the quarter mile sprint to low-to-mid 13's (13.3 to 13.5) and produces a terminal velocity of 102-103. Ford "left a lot of the table" in the factory tune of the Ecoboost. The Maxima is, to be honest, has very little aftermarket support for "Go Fast Parts"; yes, Stillen has a CAI and a cat-back exhaust, but those two modifications together won't yield more enough power to compare to that the tune provides the EB Mustang...and one will spend more money on the CAI and cat back exhaust system than the tune.

The biggest difference is that EB Mustang IS A SPORTS CAR...it is engineered to be one from its genesis...the Maxima is NOT...period...end of story and end of argument. Feeling "Sporty" and actually have the engineering chops to "be a Sports Car" are two very different aspects completely. And if/when the Mustang GT is ushered into the conversation to be compared to the Maxima, in a head-to-head "Sports Car" comparison...the Maxima isn't even close. The Maxima is a GREAT CAR for what it was designed and engineered for/to be: a small/smallish four door sedan with good power, efficiency in MPG, coddling its occupants in near-luxury levels of comfort, with ample amounts of technology and providing competent handling handling, with a well-engineered suspension. When compared to cars that are indeed "Sports Cars" with direct/traditional geared transmissions, either manual or a well-designed fast shifting automatic, the Maxima's CVT isn't "sporty", feels disconnected and from a power standpoint, reduces power (from a parasitic loss percentage") from the Maxima's front wheels (actual horsepower to the ground) than a traditional manual or a modern fast-shifting automatic.

Mason, if you prefer driving the Maxima over the Ecoboost Mustang, I have no issues with that at all; in fact, I am very happy for you, in that you truly enjoy the Maxima. But, for the reasons I listed in this post, the Maxima isn't a "Sports Car" nor it is really "sporty"...let's be honest, it is a "four door sedan"...hard to be "Sporty" with four doors...no matter how "arresting" the body's exterior is. Mike...as I said, go and drive the Maxima and make up your own mind; just be aware that the Maxima ISN'T A TRUE SPORTS CAR...no matter what Nissan says or how it is marketed. If you want an authentic, engineered sports car, the Maxima isn't "the droid you are looking for."

Last edited by AG2016; 09-23-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by AG2016
Mason,

Before you make accusations that "the author doesn't understand the operation of the CVT", let me point out that a few things:

1. I have had/driven two Nissan's with CVT's before: two Altima's with the 3.5 V6..both were driven for four plus years and 60K plus miles, so I do in fact fully understand how a CVT works Over my years of driving, I have owned/driven: 3 Mustang GT's, a Camaro, a 280Z and Honda Prelude...I have driven enough "Sports Cars" to know what to expect from a "ground up" enginnered "Sports Car" and I know what to expect from a FWD car with a CVT.
Well good for you, I have driven as many traditional sports cars as you. I still disagree with you, but you certainly seem to take offense when disagreed with.

2. I have been driving, working on/with engines and transmission of cars for 25+ years...and I have an engineering background. Sometimes it is better to "keep one's mouth shut and be thought foolish...than to open it in a public forum an remove all doubt as to the fact one is foolish."
I have been driving, working on/with engines and transmission of cars for longer than you... perhaps you should take your own advice.

3. The Maxima and Ecoboost Mustang have similar levels of acceleration, with each producing power differently...and utilizing that power to accelerate differently as well. The Maxima is "quick"...around a 6 second 0-60 sprint and a 14.2- 14.3 quarter mile at/around 100 MPH. On the other hand, the EB Mustang is "quicker"...and "edges in" on being considered "fast": 5.3 second 0-60 sprint and a 13.7- 13.8 quarter mile at/around 99 MPH. Stock times for both cars are so close, in normal everyday situations, one will be hard pressed to really "feel" the difference. I drove my Ecoboost for 13 months and I have had my Maxima for 13 months...they both perform similarly. However, with the addition of one modification (Ford Racing Tune for $700.00), the Ecoboost Mustang picks up around 30 horsepower and 30-40 foot pounds of torque. This simple modification reduces the EB Mustang's 0 to 60 time to a tad under 5 seconds (4.9ish) and the quarter mile sprint to low-to-mid 13's (13.3 to 13.5) and produces a terminal velocity of 102-103. Ford "left a lot of the table" in the factory tune of the Ecoboost. The Maxima is, to be honest, has very little aftermarket support for "Go Fast Parts"; yes, Stillen has a CAI and a cat-back exhaust, but those two modifications together won't yield more enough power to compare to that the tune provides the EB Mustang...and one will spend more money on the CAI and cat back exhaust system than the tune.
I own both cars too! You are changing your "tune" now, writing about tunes.

The biggest difference is that EB Mustang IS A SPORTS CAR...it is engineered to be one from its genesis...the Maxima is NOT...period...end of story and end of argument. Feeling "Sporty" and actually have the engineering chops to "be a Sports Car" are two very different aspects completely. And if/when the Mustang GT is ushered into the conversation to be compared to the Maxima, in a head-to-head "Sports Car" comparison...the Maxima isn't even close. The Maxima is a GREAT CAR for what it was designed and engineered for/to be: a small/smallish four door sedan with good power, efficiency in MPG, coddling its occupants in near-luxury levels of comfort, with ample amounts of technology and providing competent handling handling, with a well-engineered suspension. When compared to cars that are indeed "Sports Cars" with direct/traditional geared transmissions, either manual or a well-designed fast shifting automatic, the Maxima's CVT isn't "sporty", feels disconnected and from a power standpoint, reduces power (from a parasitic loss percentage") from the Maxima's front wheels (actual horsepower to the ground) than a traditional manual or a modern fast-shifting automatic.
You are mistaken about the CVT, again.

Mason, if you prefer driving the Maxima over the Ecoboost Mustang, I have no issues with that at all; in fact, I am very happy for you, in that you truly enjoy the Maxima.
Imagine how thrilled I am .
Old 09-23-2017, 06:56 PM

Well good for you, I have driven as many traditional sports cars as you. I still disagree with you, but you certainly seem to take offense when disagreed with.

I have been driving, working on/with engines and transmission of cars for longer than you... perhaps you should take your own advice.

I own both cars too! You are changing your "tune" now, writing about tunes.

You are mistaken about the CVT, again.

Imagine how thrilled I am .
A few key differences my friend:

I have actually worked in the design of engines/transmissions and driven them...I am willing to bet you have not done any design/engineering work. That, my friend, gives me a perspective you probably don't have...so now who is truly foolish? Or being immature because their tender sensibilities were bruised by a forum post?

And "tunes" on the Mustang, and lack of them on the Maxima, is a valid and fair point to discuss. With the simple and relatively inexpensive tune, the EB Mustang graduates to another level, one in which the Maxima can't compete in. The EB will handle better than the Maxima, stop better than the Maxima and also be both quicker and faster...as well as have a traditional engaged transmission with gears, vice a CVT. It will be, and is, the ONLY true ports car of the two.

And we shall, as gentleman, agree to disagree on our respective opinions on the "Sporty" driving qualities and nature of the CVT. I am quite happy you are thrilled with owning and driving your Maxima. As I said in my post to the OP (Mike), drive the Maxima and make your own decision if it is the car for you. It is NOT a sports car in the true definition and description of a traditional sports car. The Maxima, is however, A GREAT CAR for what it was designed and engineered for: a near luxury small/smallish four door sedan with good engine power, good MPG, better-than-average reliability, better-than-average handling characteristics for a four door sedan and a well-designed suspension/chassis for a four door sedan. BUT...it is not, because it wasn't designed/engineered to be so, a SPORTS CAR.

Last edited by AG2016; 09-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by AG2016
A few key differences my friend:

I have actually worked in the design of engines/transmissions and driven them...I am willing to bet you have not done any design/engineering work. That, my friend, gives me a perspective you probably don't have...so now who is truly foolish? Or being immature because their tender sensibilities were bruised by a forum post?

And "tunes" on the Mustang, and lack of them on the Maxima, is a valid and fair point to discuss. With the simple and relatively inexpensive tune, the EB Mustang graduates to another level, one in which the Maxima can't compete in. The EB will handle better than the Maxima, stop better than the Maxima and also be both quicker and faster...as well as have a traditional engaged transmission with gears, vice a CVT. It will be, and is, the ONLY true ports car of the two.

And we shall, as gentleman, agree to disagree on our respective opinions on the "Sporty" driving qualities and nature of the CVT. I am quite happy you are thrilled with owning and driving your Maxima. As I said in my post to the OP (Mike), drive the Maxima and make your own decision if it is the car for you. It is NOT a sports car in the true definition and description of a traditional sports car. The Maxima, is however, A GREAT CAR for what it was designed and engineered for: a near luxury small/smallish four door sedan with good engine power, good MPG, better-than-average reliability, better-than-average handling characteristics for a four door sedan and a well-designed suspension/chassis for a four door sedan. BUT...it is not, because it wasn't designed/engineered to be so, a SPORTS CAR.
Guys, you both are expending way too much energy here. I'm getting a headache thinking about how you guys are brain-burning this debate. You both have well-thought out opinions and to each his own. Remember the old saw, opinions are like a__ holes, everybody has one. As for we Max fans, purchasing this lovely thing as a "sports car", well I feel not many of us buy in to Nissan's marketing the "4 door sports car" thing. We like what we like no matter what Nissan wants to call their creation. Peace.....
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 AM

I thought I was tuned in to George Stephanopolis' Sunday Morning Roundtable for a few minutes there. Lots of good points on both sides.

The Maxima may not be a true sports car in the sense of a Corvette, etc, but it is very sporty (both in looks and performance) for a four door 'affordable family sedan.' It has all the performance I can handle, and also happens to be Motor Week's 'Four door sports sedan of the year for 2016.

I have noticed that most folks who are not totally happy with their 7th gen Maxima are not CVT fans. No, the CVT does not feel or drive AT ALL like the manuals and automatics I drove from the 1940s until I bought my CVT equipped 2009 Maxima in summer 3008. But seven years of driving (and experimenting with) that CVT- propelled vehicle convinced me that I would never again own a car without a CVT. I love playing the CVT off against the tach. I love watching my speed rise while my tach stays exactly the same. But I am not surprised that I like the CVT because I am usually open to trying new things and ready to admit it when I find they work for me.

But I do understand that the Maxima is neither a track car nor a race car, and not a true sports car in the traditional sense of the word. I also understand that there are folks that will never adjust to the feel of a CVT. Life is just that way.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:01 AM

lightonethehill, I just want to tell you that I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. You are amazingly consistent in always presenting a balanced perspective, typically with a helpful and interesting dose of history, a willingness to listen and be open to other points of view, a refreshing sense of humor, and always with a deep respect and passion that you exhibit for all things Nissan and Maxima. I have only owned one Maxima (since 2005), and haven't driven quite as long as you have (only 61), and don't profess to have the knowledge of cars that you do. As I'm likely to be getting/ordering a new Maxima in the near future, I returned to this forum a few months ago, very much interested to learn from others. I've enjoyed many posts, and have learned a lot. But I just wanted you to know I've enjoyed your posts more than anyone's, and learned more from you than anyone else. So simply, thank you. And keep it going!

Last edited by sschumer; 09-24-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by sschumer
lightonethehill, I just want to tell you that I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. You are amazingly consistent in always presenting a balanced perspective, typically with a helpful and interesting dose of history, a willingness to listen and be open to other points of view, a refreshing sense of humor, and always with a deep respect and passion that you exhibit for all things Nissan and Maxima. I have only owned one Maxima (since 2005), and haven't driven quite as long as you have (only 61), and don't profess to have the knowledge of cars that you do. As I'm likely to be getting/ordering a new Maxima in the near future, I returned to this forum a few months ago, very much interested to learn from others. I've enjoyed many posts, and have learned a lot. But I just wanted you to know I've enjoyed your posts more than anyone's, and learned more from you than anyone else. So simply, thank you. And keep it going!
I'm a 63 years old, and I have owned 2 Pontiacs Trans am V8 (with $everal performance mod$) and I am truly happy with my "4 door sport sedan" with a infinity CVT.....

Oh, and I am totally agree and share the sschumer's opinion about Mr. lightonethehill.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Well, well. This thread has degenerated into a lightonthehill fest. The kind words are very much appreciated, but I am not much of a light on any hill. My wife sometimes refers to me as 'her candle on the grassy knoll.' It may be that my only real automotive 'outlier' is that, being ancient, I rode as a youngster in such cars as a Pierce-Arrow, Cord, Packard, Hudson, Henry J, Terrraplane, Studebaker, Auburn, Model T, and Dusenberg, but more frequently on a horse-drawn buckboard. When it comes to coilovers, media options or electronics and automobiles, I am absolutely the least informed poster on this org. I wouldn't know a blue tooth from a USB port. My cell phone is a late 1990s flip thing which I can barely operate. So please take my posts as hopeful dittys, and not the official word on anything. All I know for sure is that I love my CVT powered Maxima.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by sschumer
Ditto
Old 09-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Nissan has come a long way with the CVTs. The one in the 8th generation Maxima combines great fuel economy, smooth power delivery and is fairly reliable if you take care of it. Mated to the 300hp VQ35 engine it feels super responsive. I throw it in sport mode and it just takes off.

Compared to my last two 4 cylinder Altimas it's like night and day. The CVT in those cars is a steel belt vs a chain. The chain is a lot more durable and less prone to problems.

I'm driven from Dallas to Austin with 3 passengers and a trunk full of suitcases / bags and the Maxima was a joy to drive. I'm 34 and hope to keep this car to at least 100k. My 401k is depending on it hahaha.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Anyone who thinks the Maxima is a sports car has never driven or owned a sports car.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderjet
Anyone who thinks the Maxima is a sports car has never driven or owned a sports car.
Agree it’s not a sports car. It can feel sporty at times compared to most mainstream sedans. Then again many sports cars of yesteryear have way less power.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by realmac
Agree it’s not a sports car. It can feel sporty at times compared to most mainstream sedans. Then again many sports cars of yesteryear have way less power.
Agree with you 100%. The reason I purchased the SL is because it is a "sporty" sedan with enough power and luxury to make me smile.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2017 SL. Been driving it for 4 months now. I am still not truly sold on the CVT implementation. The thing I notice the most when cruising at a constant speed is the knock of the CVT when releasing pressure from the accelerator pedal and then gently pushing it down again. You will almost often feel a distinct "engaging" of the CVT, accompanied by a slight 1 time knock. It is very noticeable and has me concerned about the long term reliability of the cvt. I call it a knock because that best describes it. You could also call it a slight momentary jerk.

I tested 3 brand new vehicles and they all behaved the exact same way, so it's not an issue with the CVT on my car.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 AM

I am not concerned in the least about the CVT. Our last car had one (Camry Hybrid) and I ran the snot out of it for almost 60,000 miles with 0 issues.
The CVT is as durable as any auto shift transmission. Some fail early, some last forever.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:46 AM

The Camry Hybrid's CVT is a totally different design from a different manufacturer. It's a planetary gear set CVT.

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/origi...plitDevice.htm
Old 09-27-2017, 11:24 AM

To the OP, I say you really need to go drive one yourself. My previous car (2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5l) had a CVT, and I never minded it. Certainly, the car had much less power, and the CVT made it operate kind of like a golf cart - the RPMs would go way up when you needed power, like going up a hill. I think Subaru has since introduced fake gear ratios in it so it sounds more like a traditional AT.

The CVT in my Maxima is similar, but a bit more like a traditional AT. In the end, there are positives related to the CVT, most notably fuel economy and quietness while cruising where the revs can drop way down. But I can also see how it might not be familiar enough for some drivers. Me? I have no problem with the CVT in my Maxima or the older-style in my Subaru. The only way to tell is to drive it, preferably on different type roads and for more than five or ten minutes. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:37 AM

I had experience with the CVT from my beloved 2009 Maxima so I was very familiar with it. But there is a noticeable difference in the feeling of the 8Gen. I never paid attention to the rubber band effect that I kept hearing about on the past CVT, but this one feels so smooth during acceleration, that I can feel my heart starting to beat faster as I'm moving along. Just to let you know how much it impressed me, I did a test drive for the first time in May. I went home with the car the same day.It was that good. Test drive it.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by mfshehri
I have been driving my Max for 1 year and 4 months now. I love the CVT with fake shifting. I have a lot of family members and friend with me in the car and no one feels any deference between the CVT and regular gearbox and actually some of them got shocked that the car is shifting loool.

What I love the most about the current CVT in my car is the fuel efficiency. Last time I traveled 3 weeks ago, I drove 802 km ( 498 mile ) with one tank. and this is amazing for a 6 Cyl car with 300 horse power.
Gawd, I'm so sick of that word "fake" (reminds me of politics). How about "virtual shifting"? No offense meant.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by bones787718

The 8th gen Max does 0 - 60 in 5.4 sec's. lookup on youtube 0 - 60 max and you have guys doing the 60 in 5.2. that's for a Maxima! and people paying 20k more for .5 sec faster and a badge? gtfo! 2017 MAX platinum white w/ M.E WHEEL'S!
"The 8th gen Max does 0 - 60 in 5.4 sec's". Where did you find that? I'd like to see how that test was performed on a bone-stock Max.