8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Exhaust resonator delete

Old 10-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Exhaust resonator delete

I know a lot of videos do not capture the true sound of exhaust notes, but I think this one captures the sound pretty well. Yesterday I removed my exhaust resonator and replaced it with stainless steel straight pipe. I kept the stock mufflers.

In my opinion, it sounds a good deal more aggressive than stock, but it is not too loud, and it is not offensive at all in the cabin. I'd recommend this mod if you're on a budget.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:05 PM

How much did it end up costing you?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by craziexstylez
How much did it end up costing you?
I took it to a muffler shop. They charged me $80 to cut out the resonator, and weld in what they say is stainless steel pipe in its place.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:30 PM

Good thing you added that drag chute. Sounds like you're going to need it. :-)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 PM

Here's another quick video

Old 10-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Dab

Sounds Great! Do you know if you lost any horse power making the change?
Old 10-18-2017, 03:59 PM

I don't know how much power I would actually lose from removing the resonator... Maybe someone who is more inclined in the realm of mechanical engineering can chime in...

But I beat a G37x coupe from a stop light to 60mph that same night I got it removed, so I probably didn't lose much hp lol.

*im not under the impression that I gained any hp... I just don't think i lost a significant amount of hp.

Last edited by CNTRT; 10-18-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Dab

Nice!!!!, i think thats my next mod!!!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:32 PM

you do not lose hp from a straight through resonator
Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel
you do not lose hp from a straight through resonator
what do you mean a straight through resonator? I removed my resonator.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:59 PM

A resonator is just a straight through muffler.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel
A resonator is just a straight through muffler.
Right. But I think the concern is removing too much back pressure from the exhaust, which can change the performance of the engine.

I still love the way it sounds, I'm just not sure if I lost any performance or efficiency as a result of less backpressure. I'm not too concerned about it, but I just don't have an answer to Dab's question on the topic
Old 10-19-2017, 10:07 AM

It's not lost back pressure that is your nemesis, it's reduced velocity. Being that the pipe you put in is roughly the same inside diameter as the resonator, you haven't changed the size of the stream. Therefore exhaust velocity likely hasn't changed, thus performance shouldn't change in either direction. Performance exhausts on the other hand are designed to increase velocity over stock, resulting in possible minor HP gains.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
It's not lost back pressure that is your nemesis, it's reduced velocity. Being that the pipe you put in is roughly the same inside diameter as the resonator, you haven't changed the size of the stream. Therefore exhaust velocity likely hasn't changed, thus performance shouldn't change in either direction. Performance exhausts on the other hand are designed to increase velocity over stock, resulting in possible minor HP gains.
good to know! Thank you for the explanation.

the only performance difference I've really noticed is that my gas mileage has suffered since I've done this mod..... But that's only because I've been almost exclusively driving in manual mode and keeping the rpms higher than normal so that I can hear the sweet sound of the exhaust 😎

Lol
Old 10-19-2017, 10:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is no chance you lost power from removing this resonator from your exhaust. Who ever posted that is out to lunch.

OP did you consider deleting the 3rd cat?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Roddy13
There is no chance you lost power from removing this resonator from your exhaust. Who ever posted that is out to lunch.

OP did you consider deleting the 3rd cat?
I am not messing with the cat(s). This car is a lease and I kept my resonator so that I can have it re-installed in 2.5 years when I return the car. This is a good enough sound for me.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CNTRT
I am not messing with the cat(s). This car is a lease and I kept my resonator so that I can have it re-installed in 2.5 years when I return the car. This is a good enough sound for me.
Just to point out... You could keep the 3rd Cat and get it put back in at the end of lease also....
Old 10-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Just to point out... You could keep the 3rd Cat and get it put back in at the end of lease also....
Yes but I don't want to 😉
Old 10-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Dab

So i really wanted to know if this changes the HP or not but i found this old vid i hope this helps. I still think its a cool mod but this video explains what happens when you remove the resonator.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dab
So i really wanted to know if this changes the HP or not but i found this old vid i hope this helps. I still think its a cool mod but this video explains what happens when you remove the resonator.
https://youtu.be/Sv8pdi4O35c
I saw that vid yesterday. He had different types of resonators there. What he's saying may or may not be the case for our vehicle and its type of resonator
Old 10-21-2017, 08:52 PM

So I decided to get creative with the cinematography...

I mounted a GoPro on the hood, and ran a microphone to the trunk, and mounted it just below the rear license plate light on the chrome trim on the trunk....

So its a bit of an optical illusion, because the video is being recorded in the front of the car, but the audio is being recorded from the rear, essentially right above the exhaust outlets...

In real life, the exhaust is not NEARLY as loud from the front of the car. It's very tasteful... Anyway, you can hear a distinct "pop" from the exhaust at 27 seconds, and at 48 seconds into the vid... Enjoy

Last edited by CNTRT; 10-21-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:36 AM

i'm old

Maybe I am just too old to enjoy this sound. I grew up around American V8s. I realize that a lot of the younger generations these days enjoy the sound of Honda's with coffee can fart tips and what not but I just don't like it much. To me, this sounds less refined than stock and a bit ricey. Why you'd want backfiring or popping is kind of a mystery to me too. I am not criticizing your choice or preference, just kind of surprised no one has mentioned that they think the car sounds worse than a stock exhaust. I know there is only so much sound available from a V6 vs V8 but I think the stock Maxima exhaust sounds great inside the car.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM

i have always tought that resonators makes the air flow more laminar to reduce the noise by a turbulent flow...
from what i have had heard, increase the x-sectional area of the pipe if the flow is increased to maintain efficiency and for power gains.
which is why, i have this thinking that if i increase the area of the exhaust, but keep the same power output, the flow will slow down (at high revs, of course), which will reduce power output (but very minimal, since it is stock engine).

if you like the sound and feel of deleted res and/or muffler, go for it.
because you’re not really losing much to notice (at high revs).
for racing/track use, i say up the hp output to get the power you want with that change.

please, correct me if i am mistaken.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by barkeep8
Maybe I am just too old to enjoy this sound. I grew up around American V8s. I realize that a lot of the younger generations these days enjoy the sound of Honda's with coffee can fart tips and what not but I just don't like it much. To me, this sounds less refined than stock and a bit ricey. Why you'd want backfiring or popping is kind of a mystery to me too. I am not criticizing your choice or preference, just kind of surprised no one has mentioned that they think the car sounds worse than a stock exhaust. I know there is only so much sound available from a V6 vs V8 but I think the stock Maxima exhaust sounds great inside the car.
I don't like Ricey sounding exhausts either... This doesn't sound ricey. It's a bit deeper in person, but regardless, this IS still the stock exhaust. Just with the resonator removed, which makes it flow a little more freely and it's a bit louder... But the qualities of the stock exhaust sound are the same. Just amplified.

You don't like the sound of a stock G35 or FX35? Our vehicles have the same engine, with just a more restrictive stock exhaust... So freeing it up, allows for that infamous VQ35 sound...

Also, if you look at reviews on YouTube of a lot of new performance vehicles, most of them have a sport setting on the exhaust that opens valves in the exhaust and causes the popping sounds. It is a sought after affect these days...

i respect your opinion... But for $80, and just cutting out a part of the exhaust, as opposed to spending hundreds on an aftermarket one, I'm happy with the results!!!

Last edited by CNTRT; 10-22-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:20 PM

I don't like Ricey sounding exhausts either... This doesn't sound ricey. It's a bit deeper in person, but regardless, this IS still the stock exhaust. Just with the resonator removed, which makes it flow a little more freely and it's a bit louder... But the qualities of the stock exhaust sound are the same. Just amplified.

You don't like the sound of a stock G35 or FX35? Our vehicles have the same engine, with just a more restrictive stock exhaust... So freeing it up, allows for that infamous VQ35 sound...

Also, if you look at reviews on YouTube of a lot of new performance vehicles, most of them have a sport setting on the exhaust that opens valves in the exhaust and causes the popping sounds. It is a sought after affect these days...

i respect your opinion... But for $80, and just cutting out a part of the exhaust, as opposed to spending hundreds on an aftermarket one, I'm happy with the results!!!
I actually tried to delete my reply to your post shortly after I responded because I realized I was sounding negative. By all means I believe you should modify your car however you enjoy and see fit. I apologize for the negative connotation in my reply. I'm new here and certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot. You've done a great job documenting and sharing your experience and forum posters like yourself make this place worth coming back to.

Thanks for your contribution!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by barkeep8
I actually tried to delete my reply to your post shortly after I responded because I realized I was sounding negative. By all means I believe you should modify your car however you enjoy and see fit. I apologize for the negative connotation in my reply. I'm new here and certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot. You've done a great job documenting and sharing your experience and forum posters like yourself make this place worth coming back to.

Thanks for your contribution!
I didn't take offense to anything you said. Sorry if it came off that way. It's all good. We all have different tastes. Nothing to apologize for.

thank you for the compliment btw!
Old 10-23-2017, 07:41 AM

Talking

So I decided to get creative with the cinematography...

I mounted a GoPro on the hood, and ran a microphone to the trunk, and mounted it just below the rear license plate light on the chrome trim on the trunk....

So its a bit of an optical illusion, because the video is being recorded in the front of the car, but the audio is being recorded from the rear, essentially right above the exhaust outlets...

In real life, the exhaust is not NEARLY as loud from the front of the car. It's very tasteful... Anyway, you can hear a distinct "pop" from the exhaust at 27 seconds, and at 48 seconds into the vid... Enjoy

https://youtu.be/Z3cAUns3RbM
If you like that pop/burbling then try manual shifting, holding the rpm's high in first then letting off on the gas. That will majorly increase the popping/burbling effect. I first noticed this on my C6 Corvette after adding catback Corsa Extremes. Not too gnarly when decelerating easily in 2nd or 3rd, but MAN what a blast when decelerating in 1st from around 2,000 rpm. Drops my 71 years of age down to about 16 years old for a few seconds. Temporary Fountain of Youth.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
If you like that pop/burbling then try manual shifting, holding the rpm's high in first then letting off on the gas. That will majorly increase the popping/burbling effect. I first noticed this on my C6 Corvette after adding catback Corsa Extremes. Not too gnarly when decelerating easily in 2nd or 3rd, but MAN what a blast when decelerating in 1st from around 2,000 rpm. Drops my 71 years of age down to about 16 years old for a few seconds. Temporary Fountain of Youth.
yeah I think that's what I did in the vid when you heard the pop sound. I was in first and revved to about 6k and then let off. I didn't know our cars could do that with just removing the resonator lol
Old 10-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Dab

You drive like i do, LOL
Old 10-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Sounds great--it's hard to really discern, but in person does it sound more like the G35 or FX35 or even the 350 Z than it does in the videos?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Preisler
Sounds great--it's hard to really discern, but in person does it sound more like the G35 or FX35 or even the 350 Z than it does in the videos?
kind of... I havent heard it from outside the car, so from the driver's seat, I get the engine noise and the exhaust, so I dont know for sure. But I believe its similar to the G35 exhaust, maybe with a slightly different tone.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:35 PM

in my opinion this sounds to ricer-ish. Or should I say like a honda tbh. It doesn't have a deep sound to it its just raspy. Muffler deletes sounds way better. Just a personal preference i guess.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by AAQ27
in my opinion this sounds to ricer-ish. Or should I say like a honda tbh. It doesn't have a deep sound to it its just raspy. Muffler deletes sounds way better. Just a personal preference i guess.
muffler delete would have cost me more, plus it would have been louder I think. I wouldn't call it ricey. It does sound a little deeper in person, but it does have a bit of rasp as well. My preference would be a cat back exhaust but I can't justify the price.

I personally feel like the resonator delete was $80 well spent, but I respect your opinion
Old 10-27-2017, 12:42 PM

Ya your right it would be louder if u did a muffler delete. And ya for the money i agree you got what you paid for. As long as you like it thats all that matters. Enjoy it
Old 03-13-2020, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Anyone get a p0171 code after doing a resonator delete it happened 3 weeks later anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
Old 03-13-2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Litldevlmike
Anyone get a p0171 code after doing a resonator delete it happened 3 weeks later anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
Look Here

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0171
Old 03-13-2020, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
I don't see how deleting anything after the cats can cause a code. All of the parts/systems mentioned in your article are "before" and including the cats. Nothing behind that stuff.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks richard66 I finally had a chance to take the car to nissan they ran a bunch of test and finally found that the pcv valve was not functioning properly and was letting oil into my intake And the two hoses that run from the pcv to the intake and the hoses from the brake booster had rotted out a bit causing more air to enter into the system causing the code I was getting only reason I thought it could been somthing related to my delete was I thought the 02 sensors were seeing more air flowing through the exhaust due to loss of some back pressure but either way it all worked out thanks for the info
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 PM

I'm old too, have had quite a few flathead fords, they had an awesome sound for a small V-8.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Here's another quick video

https://youtu.be/B_4g4DbyX44
Sounds great, how much you paid $$
No check engine light or any other light in the dash?

Thank you

Search this Thread