8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

First time oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:14 PM

First time oil change

So my dealer who sold me a car gave me 2 complimentary oil changes. I was going to do it on Friday but couldn’t make it. Anyways I had to drive for 800 miles on Sunday now I’m at 4700 miles and I’m not back yet.. by my calculations when I return back home my odometer will hit 6000 miles. Should I go and change oil now at the local dealership or just regular shop? Should I buy my own oil or no . If yes what sort of an oil and how many bottles ?

Thank you
Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM

I would get it done now as its close enough. Don't go 6k until the first change. I will be getting my first oil change as well soon. Got my own oil Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 its the only oil I put in my vehicles. Top notch stuff. A well trusted and good dealership will also do it for ya if you want to bring in your own oil.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Stopped by local Nissan dealer scheduled an appointment for tomorrow with free multi point inspection and a car wash for $29.99 plus tax.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 PM

Never delay the first oil change in a new car. If the new engine is going to slew off any metal particles or other detritus, it will be as you break it in and during the first 5000 miles.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Director
Never delay the first oil change in a new car. If the new engine is going to slew off any metal particles or other detritus, it will be as you break it in and during the first 5000 miles.

Dont scare me... I got that I need to change it. So that’s why I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. The oil with be changed at around 4800 miles.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
Dont scare me... I got that I need to change it. So that’s why I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow. The oil with be changed at around 4800 miles.
Nothing to be scared of. It's quite normal for brand new engines.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:38 PM

I just picked up a '17 SR and am already thinking about the first oil change, 5K sounds like a lot of miles to me and I'm looking for comments on changing at a shorter interval- say 3K...any thoughts?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:08 PM

Oils are designed to last much longer these days, especially the synthetic brands. The old recommendation of 3000 miles is no longer necessary and often a waste of your money. 5000 miles between oil changes is just fine.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:09 PM

As far as I know nissan manual says 5000 miles or 6 month whichever comes first. And also red somewhere that some people actually change factory oil after 1000 miles. Who knows what’s up 😂
Old 10-25-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
As far as I know nissan manual says 5000 miles or 6 month whichever comes first. And also red somewhere that some people actually change factory oil after 1000 miles. Who knows what’s up 😂

Making the first oil change fairly soon was very important between the 1940s and the 1990s, because of the situation The Director mentioned above - any tiny metallic particles that may be ejected by a new engine will come off early on, plus new engines used to come with 'break-in' oil, which was not intended for extended service.

But Nissan stopped using 'break-in' oil many years ago, and Nissan engines are now made with clearances so small that there are supposedly no tiny metal bits being ejected.

My dealer does not recommend making the first oil change until 5K miles. I'm sure there are dealers and other Maxima drivers who change earlier, but the oil that comes in new Maximas is (per the documentation) part synthetic and much better than regular oil.

As info, all Maxima engines beginning with the 2003 model have been made in Nissan's new engine plant in Decherd TN, a small town just north of Winchester TN. They keep that shop surgically clean.