8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Maxima vs Q50

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima vs Q50

I know this is a Maxima thread, but i was curious if anyone drove or owned a Q50 when looking for their Maxima? they are in the same price range so that caught my eye when looking.

Looks like a step up in materials and quality. I know its a smaller car but curious for the same price if its a good deal to just go with the Q50
Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by lonestareagle
I know this is a Maxima thread, but i was curious if anyone drove or owned a Q50 when looking for their Maxima? they are in the same price range so that caught my eye when looking.

Looks like a step up in materials and quality. I know its a smaller car but curious for the same price if its a good deal to just go with the Q50
The Q50 really doesn't cut it, design wise. The Platinum Maxima is far better for MPG and yet still plenty fast
Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The Q50 really doesn't cut it, design wise. The Platinum Maxima is far better for MPG and yet still plenty fast
Yep. I totally agree with that. Also, there is a pretty significant price difference between a fully loaded Q50 and a fully loaded Maxima.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:55 PM

You should test-drive both, since the Infiniti is RWD (or AWD). From what I've seen, the Maxima actually has the better interior. But a mid-level Q50 with the 3.0t blows away the Maxima in performance (with or without the AWD). It's not even close.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:17 PM

If I'd had the money I would have bought the Q50 3.0tt. I thought it was a much better car overall, better transmission, suspension and better steering. But I'm no expert.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 PM

Consumer Reports has consistently showed the Q50 to have below average reliability, and below average customer satisfaction. The Q50 is rated at 22 MPG combined, while the Maxima is rated 25 MPG combined, and gets around 33 MPG in interstate driving. Comparably equipped, the Maxima should be available for a little less money than the Q50. But I consider the Q50 to be a rather striking car, styling wise, and have always liked Infinitis. Car testers seem to like the handling of the Q50 better than that of the Maxima. As others here suggest, I would absolutely drive both the Maxima and the Q50 before choosing. That should enable you make the best choice for you.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 PM

I remember when Q50 and Maxima came out. They both hit the market roughly at the same time. And all trims came with 3.7L, 333 BHPs. I actually seriously considered to get one of those but my brother told me to back off because he worked at Infiniti he said that they service those all the time. So anyways... I kinda continue to drive my E350. Until late 2016... went out and bought Maxima.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 AM

I test drove both in July of 15. The xmission on the Q was poor.I could easily make it hunt. The feature set also was superior in the Max. At the time, the electronics in the Q were slow and buggy.

The thing the Q had and still has over the Max was the compliment of properly matched exterior lighting.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM

I drove both. The interior of the Maxima Platinum and the smoothness of the transmission were the clincher for me. Since my other car is a 500hp Corvette, a little extra HP in the Q50 was meaningless. Besides, the Nissan dealer was willing to deal WAY better than the Infiniti dealer.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by The Director
I drove both. The interior of the Maxima Platinum and the smoothness of the transmission were the clincher for me. Since my other car is a 500hp Corvette, a little extra HP in the Q50 was meaningless. Besides, the Nissan dealer was willing to deal WAY better than the Infiniti dealer.
That rang a bell with me. I seriously considered an Infiniti several times back in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but was totally turned off by the Infiniti dealer near me. It was as if I had dropped off a railroad boxcar with hobo stick and bag over my shoulder. I felt they wished I was not darkening their lot. I usually wear polo golf shirts and pressed kahki pants, and always pay cash up front for every car I buy. I try to be courteous and friendly. But I clearly did not 'measure up.' By contrast, folks at my Nissan dealer come out and meet me as I arrive, ask about my family, and always seem very happy to see me again. So guess where I buy my cars?
Old 10-31-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by The Director
If you had both cars side by side, the Q blends into the woodwork. The Maxima's style looks fast even when sitting. In most all situations the Max has enough "juice" to make you think it is no dog. And at this point MPGs beats MPH as an important criteria. Nissan did cheese out on the Pax seat verical adjustment on the 16-17 models though I hear that is corrected for the 18 model year
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was between those two cars. Test drove the 3.0t-absolute rocket BUT I felt the ride was rougher, the acceleration less smooth. Also the in cabin electronics were not as good as the Maxima. IMO the q50 is more of a sports car in feeling the road and it has AWD. I wanted a smoother ride with lots of power and a plush cabin-hence I went Maxima. AWD would have been nice tho
Old 11-01-2017, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by kendall89
I was between those two cars. Test drove the 3.0t-absolute rocket BUT I felt the ride was rougher, the acceleration less smooth. Also the in cabin electronics were not as good as the Maxima. IMO the q50 is more of a sports car in feeling the road and it has AWD. I wanted a smoother ride with lots of power and a plush cabin-hence I went Maxima. AWD would have been nice tho
Since you drove the 3.0t I was very curious about the power compared to the Maxima. Do you feel it absolutely destroyed the Maxima power wise?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:15 PM

I drove the Maxima Platinum that I bought, a Q50 with the 3.0t, and the Red Sport 400. The Red Sport 400 is much faster than the 3.0t which is somewhat faster than the Maxima but I would not say hugely. Since I am used to driving a supercharged Corvette Grand Sport, blistering acceleration and almost race car handling is something I know.

All forces compared, the Maxima Platinum was the most comfortable and usable feature laden of them all. The one exception of course is the lack of passenger seat height adjustment. Add price comparisons, comfort, decent gas mileage when you want it, and reasonable enough acceleration/handling for an every day driver, I felt the Maxima was the best balance.