8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 02:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Navigation

opinions wanted / I will start off by saying I am already partial to google maps! With that being said this navigation system is very basic and take the long route all the time . Anyone know if I can upgrade the map without paying 160$? What does everyone thing ? I am still using google maps when I use my gps and it makes no sense why I should have to. I tried using the map over and over it’s just more annoying for me . Oh and I have a 2017 s max
Old 10-31-2017, 05:14 AM

Since you have a 2017 max, your max is probably equipped with CarPlay. If you have an iPhone, you could use Apple maps in your screen.

For me I don't trust my max navigation as is't outdated and many store/gas station locations aren't there. For that I always use Google Maps on my iPhone.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 AM

I just bought a new Maxima Platinum and I'm amazed how out of date the Navigation map is. It shows gas stations in my areas that have been gone for 3 years or more and it does not show streets that I know have been here for years.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by The Director
I just bought a new Maxima Platinum and I'm amazed how out of date the Navigation map is. It shows gas stations in my areas that have been gone for 3 years or more and it does not show streets that I know have been here for years.
Yep. I hit a stretch during my two weeks roaming around the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountains back in July where four gas stations in a row on the Nissan navi no longer existed, and several others had changed brands. Slightly lesser problems with motels and restaurants, but still problems. I just updated to the 'latest' navi maps two months ago (not cheap), and roads and streets near me that I watched being built around ten years ago are not on my nav. Because of things like that, I still keep paper maps in my car. I know the updated info on roads and businesses is available, so it is bothersome that I don't have access to it on my navi.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Yep. I hit a stretch during my two weeks roaming around the Blue Ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountains back in July where four gas stations in a row on the Nissan navi no longer existed, and several others had changed brands. Slightly lesser problems with motels and restaurants, but still problems. I just updated to the 'latest' navi maps two months ago (not cheap), and roads and streets near me that I watched being built around ten years ago are not on my nav. Because of things like that, I still keep paper maps in my car. I know the updated info on roads and businesses is available, so it is bothersome that I don't have access to it on my navi.
Wait, so you are frustrated with out of date GPS so you revert to using paper maps? How does that make any sense?!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Director
What upsets me is the fact they have updates but want to charge me 160$
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just let me use google maps man
Old 10-31-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
Wait, so you are frustrated with out of date GPS so you revert to using paper maps? How does that make any sense?!
Because I have collected maps as a hobby since 1948, and have maps of every state and most cities nationally. For example, I have a complete set of Gasoline maps of each state dated 1935. The 1935 map of Nevada denotes a large area near Las Vegas as the 'Clark County Game Ranch.' From my military security service, I happen to know that same area is now known as 'Frenchman's Flats', aka the U.S. Atomic Testing Grounds. My navi/GPS has no clue. Paper maps may be a relic of the past for most folks, but I greatly enjoy the detail and clarity many paper maps offer, especially topographic maps. Very old maps can be especially fascinating. Few roads are still in the exact same location they were in the 1800s.

I find maps showing all Roman roads in England, Wales and Scotland especially interesting. They explain the reason for the location of many British cities. Many current highways in England were laid right over the cobbles of ancient Roman roads.

Another reason I like paper maps is that, as my wife drives, I can unfold them and see a much larger area in great detail. The 8 inch navi screen shows a limited area, which, if expanded, loses roads, towns and detail.

But this is simply my preference. others of course prefer the navi/GPS.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-31-2017 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:22 PM

I would rather use the NAV if it was up to date but one thing about paper maps - if you are a AAA member and you go to one of their offices, you can get up to date maps for free. My 2016 Georgia map is pretty dang accurate.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 PM

I've had no problems with the GPS map in my 2017 SL. Guess effectiveness may be based more on where you live and where you drive. I use google maps on my Droid if things were to get squirrely.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:54 PM

That's one of my biggest gripes about the MAX; big, useless screen since the NAV sucks. I resort to using my cell phone stuck in the cup holder with a screen the size of a postage stamp; but guess what?...it's accurate. Such a shame.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No navigation can be as good as Google maps. Google is constantly updated and has employees out driving the road with cameras on there's cars. I'd use the Apple maps from Carplay if you don't want to use the Nissan system
Old 11-02-2017, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by me9798
That's one of my biggest gripes about the MAX; big, useless screen since the NAV sucks. I resort to using my cell phone stuck in the cup holder with a screen the size of a postage stamp; but guess what?...it's accurate. Such a shame.
Oh come now, it's not useless. its just not as accurate with some minor things as it could be. Besides, the screen is for a lot of other things than just NAV.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:14 AM

For most developed area and cities, maps don't get out of date so much. It is not often to see new street being added to metropolitan areas like San Francisco or Los Angeles. If you are in suburbs, I can see that it could happen as new subdivisions are being added.

Now, what I hate about the navigation system on the Maxima is that the voice prompts are always too soon. In fact wwwwaaaaayyy too soon. I can see on the screen that the checkered flag destination point is still half a block away, but the voice prompt already announces that I have arrived at my destination. It causes me and my wife so much confusion. Same thing happens when we are about to make turns at intersection or make switches from one interstate to another. I can't even count how many times we'd turned into the wrong street or wrong exits because the voice prompt timing is so far off.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Given the number and flagrancy of the grammatical and spelling errors from the users who seem to have issues, I do have to wonder if the real problem likes between the NAV and the seat.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM

Given the number and flagrancy of the grammatical and spelling errors from the users who seem to have issues, I do have to wonder if the real problem likes between the NAV and the seat.
I can only assume you were referring to my previous post. English is indeed my second language and I will take any opportunity to improve my English writing skill. If you don't mind doing me a favor, please copy/paste my previous post into a private message and kindly send to me your suggested correction to any grammatical errors. Your critique will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well played, Max.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:39 PM

Well, now we know who the self-imposed Grammar and Spelling **** is on this forum.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM

If I may correct your grammar, you should have typed, "....if the real problem LIES between......"
Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2018 Navigation Update

I just received an offer in the mail for the 2018 Updates. The offer is for $129 and free shipping if ordered by December 29th.
I would like to know who has taken advantage of this offer and is it worth it?
Has anyone found this same SD Card update on another website such as Amazon or EBay for a lower price?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Freddy Castro
I just received an offer in the mail for the 2018 Updates. The offer is for $129 and free shipping if ordered by December 29th.
I would like to know who has taken advantage of this offer and is it worth it?
Has anyone found this same SD Card update on another website such as Amazon or EBay for a lower price?

Having had quite a few disappointments with the OEM nav maps in my 2016 Platinum during my summer trips, I took the offer you are considering back in July. As I haven't yet had time to take many trips since the update, I have not yet had a chance to confirm the value of the update. One hindering factor is that my Maxima has been in the body shop for over a month because a young filly from Virginia lost control on a wet surface and came twirling across four lanes of interstate in downtown Atlanta and broadsided my car. I took the car to the best body shop in my area, but am still very concerned.

As info, some folks here have taken that offer and had the new nav maps load in reasonable time. It took well over an hour for the techs to get my new nav maps, etc, to update, and techs charge money.

As further info, the nav update SD cards are programmed for a specific Maxima (by VIN #), and will work only in that specific Maxima. Be very careful about where you buy SD cards.

Once I get my Maxima back and take a few trips, I will know more about the value of the update offer. Maybe someone here who took that offer can help.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Light, I am taking your situation in consideration, however, my feeling is, for me, with a brand new 2107, the maps should be as current as possible, and I should NOT incur any costs for those...I'm optimistic that my dealer will step up, and I will post the results when something happens...this is, as stated before, my eighth Maxima and I expected Nissan to take care of this without me having to pursue the dealer
Old 11-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by denoose
Light, I am taking your situation in consideration, however, my feeling is, for me, with a brand new 2107, the maps should be as current as possible, and I should NOT incur any costs for those...I'm optimistic that my dealer will step up, and I will post the results when something happens...this is, as stated before, my eighth Maxima and I expected Nissan to take care of this without me having to pursue the dealer
I can't argue with that. This board will be rooting for you in this matter, and we will be very interested in how you are treated.