8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

trim fell off

Old 11-25-2017, 02:45 PM

trim fell off

The black trim piece that separates the roof pillar from the body- passenger side, just behind the rear door, fell off in a car wash today, I did retrieve the piece, has anyone had this happen and successfully reinstalled the trim? It appears a small red post at the back end of the trim piece has broken off- dealer tells me there are only four of these trim pieces in the US and the replacement is a week away, and I would like to see if I can get this back on my car in the interim

Thanks
Old 11-25-2017, 05:22 PM

Mine loosened up while hand-washing. It seems the double-face adhesive let go on about the back 1/3 of the piece. The piece is concave on the underside so it was a bit difficult for me to apply 3M double-face tape under there in order for it to hold. My plan did not work so I took it to dealer and they ordered a new piece. Took about 3-1/2 weeks to get. Of course it was on backorder! Dealer installed the new piece with no further problem. I'm not sure what the plastic tab is that you refer to as my piece did not totally come off; I could just lift up on the rear 1/3rd. No auto car washes for me anyway because those brushes rip off the current generation of trim. If I were you I would let the dealer order the part and replace it under warranty. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:54 AM

Thanks, the dealer did place the order, it just looks like sh*t with the piece missing...
Old 11-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by denoose View Post
Thanks, the dealer did place the order, it just looks like sh*t with the piece missing...
Black duct tape my man! Will look almost as good as new!
Old 11-26-2017, 10:37 AM

That's a good idea for the time being, thanks I will pick some up
Old 11-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gorilla Glue

I glued the broken posts back together and been working fine since then. I did end up ordering a spare in case the current glued one broke again.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:33 PM

3M makes an automotive foam tape specifically for this type of application. I believe it’s acrylic. Works great.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks, gents i will look for one of these as a temporary solution
Old 11-27-2017, 08:52 PM

Thanks, gents i will look for one of these as a temporary solution
Thing is that piece is concave underneath and has a raised, thin lip around the bottom. I tried 3M tape, but the raised edge around the bottom prevented good contact of the tape with the painted finish of the chassis. On the replacement piece I noticed that the factory used very narrow adhesive strips just on the raised lip. Too much trimming of gooey tape. If you have major patience it may work for you. Of course you can always run a 1/4" bead of black silicone under the piece and that may work much better. Just wipe off any excess that squeezes out. I did not want to take that route however because I knew the dealer would have a devil of a time removing the silicone rubber before he applied the replacement piece.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:08 PM

When I worked at the dealership this was a common issue. Some of them are held on with a glob of epoxy and/or some 3m foam tape and it can either break or just lose its adhesion. You either have to replace the piece and get new adhesive or find a way to make it stick. Hot glue.. epoxy.. 2 sided tape.. etc. Might have to get creative if you don't want to buy a new one.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:32 PM

What a piece of [email protected] I'm surprised they are not even held by clip anymore now days, seem like the glue or epoxy these days.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The black trim piece that separates the roof pillar from the body- passenger side, just behind the rear door, fell off in a car wash today, I did retrieve the piece, has anyone had this happen and successfully reinstalled the trim? It appears a small red post at the back end of the trim piece has broken off- dealer tells me there are only four of these trim pieces in the US and the replacement is a week away, and I would like to see if I can get this back on my car in the interim

Thanks

check the warranty. I went to the dealer and mentioned warranty. Turns out mine is covered under 3yr 60,000 km. Maybe they’ll replace yours for free too! Worth looking in to.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 AM

The trim piece is held on by a series of clips, there is no adhesive at all. Dealer replaced it last week and while it seems to be well secured, I will avoid car washes with all the rotating brushes and use the "touchless" one nearby...the only reason i used the other car wash was a two month free pass the dealer provided when I bought the car in late October.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same issue on my 2017 SL, dealer replaced the trim piece at no cost.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Just had mine replaced by the dealer (only had it 2 weeks) so it was that way when they delivered it. Never took my 2010 to a car wash, don't intend to take this one either. I thought it was held on by 3m tape, dealer said no its clips.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Did first paint correction detail yesterday on my used ‘16 and noticed my drivers side is loose. So add me to this list
Old 04-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have lost that piece on both sides now. Fortunately the dealer replaced both at no cost. Design is questionable and I will not be surprised if it happens again.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 PM

I appreciate this exchange as I went out and checked my 2016 Platinum and guess what, they are both loose. Dealer is covering the replacements and installlation when the parts arrive.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:13 PM

Thanks
I have the exact same problem with both of my rear black trim moulding, I think the theory about water freezing makes a lot of sense, I live in MN and maybe during the winter when I wash the car, water will get in that will freeze later. I had both of them replaced at the dealership today.

Last edited by brosenz; 04-20-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
Mine loosened up while hand-washing. It seems the double-face adhesive let go on about the back 1/3 of the piece. The piece is concave on the underside so it was a bit difficult for me to apply 3M double-face tape under there in order for it to hold. My plan did not work so I took it to dealer and they ordered a new piece. Took about 3-1/2 weeks to get. Of course it was on backorder! Dealer installed the new piece with no further problem. I'm not sure what the plastic tab is that you refer to as my piece did not totally come off; I could just lift up on the rear 1/3rd. No auto car washes for me anyway because those brushes rip off the current generation of trim. If I were you I would let the dealer order the part and replace it under warranty. Good luck.
Great advice and even if you are off warranty, I would ask for a goodwill adjustment from your dealer. This is becoming a "known issue"
Old 04-22-2018, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the exact same trim piece fall off on the driver's side when I was brushing snow off my vehicle. Unfortunately the dealer wouldn't replace without cost. It was over $300 for that little piece of plastic.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 PM

Shaun, I think you need to complain to Nissan, unless the dealer warned you not to brush snow off the car, because it will cause the trim to fall off. The trim should not fall off doing normal things. Complain and get reimbursed. This is a Nissan problem!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM

The trim piece is held on by a series of clips, there is no adhesive at all. Dealer replaced it last week and while it seems to be well secured, I will avoid car washes with all the rotating brushes and use the "touchless" one nearby...the only reason i used the other car wash was a two month free pass the dealer provided when I bought the car in late October.
Really? I did not see any sign of "clips" on mine.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
Really? I did not see any sign of "clips" on mine.
You are correct. The piece seems to be attached by an adhesive.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Shaun, I think you need to complain to Nissan, unless the dealer warned you not to brush snow off the car, because it will cause the trim to fall off. The trim should not fall off doing normal things. Complain and get reimbursed. This is a Nissan problem!
The dealer did NOT warn me to brush snow off of the car. I think it is a design problem. Maybe northern climates were not considered when designing this particular piece of trim.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have contacted Nissan. I will be interested to hear their response about this issue.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Mine (both sides) were replaced 2 months and now the driver's side trim is loose again, I cannot believe it!!
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by brosenz View Post
Mine (both sides) were replaced 2 months and now the driver's side trim is loose again, I cannot believe it!!
I had the right side one fall off in the carwash a bit ago. Dealer said this is kind of common with these and they usually replace both when it happens. At that time I asked what its to prevent it from happening again. When mine were replaced I asked for them to do something that would make it more permanent and the did something in the way of the double sided tape or other means to reinforce it when replaced.

I hope that takes care of it, but in the back of my mind I know it could happen again.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:56 PM

Today the dealer replaced the loose trim, quickly and without any problem. They did recognize many of the 2016 models had this problem super recurrent, nonetheless they said not that many 2017 model (mine), I hope this time it will last more than 2 months.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by brosenz View Post
Today the dealer replaced the loose trim, quickly and without any problem. They did recognize many of the 2016 models had this problem super recurrent, nonetheless they said not that many 2017 model (mine), I hope this time it will last more than 2 months.
What method did they use to fix it?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrgooch View Post
What method did they use to fix it?
They replaced the whole trim with a brand new one, it seems the clips (red plastic) to attach the trim to the body are bad quality or too fragile.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM

So how do they correct it? Will they provide new clips to you?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:10 PM

So how do they correct it?
The dealer did not say, I would assume the replaced the part with a new one, nonetheless this is my second replacement in 2 months, so I am not very hopeful on the quality of the new part, assuming the replacement part at the dealership it is the new model. I asked one of the techs if they have seen many repairs on the trim and he said "we have seen many of them coming lately"
Old 06-18-2018, 05:13 PM

The service advisor suggested not to wash the car too often, come on, is this a joke, now I cannot wash the car to avoid the trim to fall apart.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:15 PM

I have a 2016 SL. Up till now no problem. I did examine them and observed that the trim comes to a point facing the front of the car. The potential of that point being grabbed and picked up in a car wash is very good. I rarely use a car wash maybe that is why my trim is still in place..
Old 06-18-2018, 05:18 PM

I have a 2016 SL. Up till now no problem. I did examine them and observed that the trim comes to a point facing the front of the car. The potential of that point being grabbed and picked up in a car wash is very good. I rarely use a car wash maybe that is why my trim is still in place..
I only use “touch less car wash” , no hands, towels or brushes have ever touched the trims or the car
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry to thread jack but I did this to my car the other day anyone know if this piece is easy to take off I can find a replacement but wanted to know how hard it would be to replace myself. This is on the drivers side front by the way.
Attached Thumbnails trim fell off-img_7607.jpg   trim fell off-img_7608.jpg   trim fell off-img_7609.jpg  
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Depressed that the car wash story is so frequent. My driver side fell off in the car was as well. Nissan says call the dealer ship i got it from, or pay the $367 to replace it. Car wash tells me to meet halfway. My brain says find a way to make double-sided 3M work at the contact points. It literally bothers me every time i look at it.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We lost ours in the carwash about 6 months ago or so in our '16. Bought one on ebay for about $150 to replace. I didn't even think the dealer might replace it under warranty. I told my friend at work NOT to use the automatic car washes on his '17 and guess what, he did and he lost a trim piece as well.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChadInOKC View Post
We lost ours in the carwash about 6 months ago or so in our '16. Bought one on ebay for about $150 to replace. I didn't even think the dealer might replace it under warranty. I told my friend at work NOT to use the automatic car washes on his '17 and guess what, he did and he lost a trim piece as well.
This is ridiculous, so now we cannot wash our cars, clearly bad quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.