8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Any Ex-8th gen Maxima owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 08:09 AM

Any Ex-8th gen Maxima owners here?

Hello,

I know it is a bit strange to write here because I no longer own my 8th generation Maxima.

I could not handle the problems with my 8th generation Maxima anymore (see my old threads) and replaced it with a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6. To my surprise, I found that a couple other 8th generation Maxima owners have absconded to the Camry too!

I was wondering if other ex-maxima owners still lurk here and what you miss about your Maxima?

I do actually find the Camry and Maxima to be very similar, albeit the Camry has a higher quality feel and a significantly smoother ride than my SR. The Maxima, however, had stellar acceleration, steering and I loved the dashboard screen layout.

Contrary to what most car reviewers say, I loved the CVT in the Maxima or any car.

Anyways, it is interesting to see what others are replacing their Maximas with. Camrys/Avalons seem to be a popular choice.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Not a ex-owner yet. Still enjoying the Max, and aside from some annoying fit-and-finish issues, no major problems yet. The new Camry did catch my attention, they certainly stepped up their game from the previous generation. The Kia stinger is also an enticing option.

Sorry you had such a bad run with the Max. Guess there will always be a few lemons in the bunch.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM

Interesting that you found the Camry more a higher quality. In the past I've always felt Toyota was lacking on the quality feel and luxury aesthetics, even the Avalon seemed tin-canish on the inside. I'll have to sit down in one just for the fun of it...
Old 02-19-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by minnesotan
Hello,

I know it is a bit strange to write here because I no longer own my 8th generation Maxima.

I could not handle the problems with my 8th generation Maxima anymore (see my old threads) and replaced it with a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6. To my surprise, I found that a couple other 8th generation Maxima owners have absconded to the Camry too!

I was wondering if other ex-maxima owners still lurk here and what you miss about your Maxima?

I do actually find the Camry and Maxima to be very similar, albeit the Camry has a higher quality feel and a significantly smoother ride than my SR. The Maxima, however, had stellar acceleration, steering and I loved the dashboard screen layout.

Contrary to what most car reviewers say, I loved the CVT in the Maxima or any car.

Anyways, it is interesting to see what others are replacing their Maximas with. Camrys/Avalons seem to be a popular choice.
I still have mine... Steering issues however, have rendered this car un-enjoyable... But I concur with you... The seamless and immediate acceleration and modulation of the throttle response are really truly better than any other vehicle I've ever driven... Absolutely no lag or hesitations.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by CNTRT

I still have mine... Steering issues however, have rendered this car un-enjoyable... But I concur with you... The seamless and immediate acceleration and modulation of the throttle response are really truly better than any other vehicle I've ever driven... Absolutely no lag or hesitations.
My Maxima Platinum lease is up in 8 months and I will replace that with another 2019 Platinum. For value there is not any other car I can find that has this much equipment and still looks great.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Have always found Toyota's so vanilla.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:42 PM

Fishlet mentioned the Kia Stinger. The 2018 G2 twin turbo 3.3 Stinger is available with either AWD or RWD and a zero to sixty around 5 seconds. It seems to have lots of stuff that posters here wish the Maxima had. I much prefer the Maxima for many reasons, but there are probably some here who might like the Stinger, which is powerful, agile, and is probably nearer to being a 4DSC than the Maxima.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Fishlet mentioned the Kia Stinger. The 2018 G2 twin turbo 3.3 Stinger is available with either AWD or RWD and a zero to sixty around 5 seconds. It seems to have lots of stuff that posters here wish the Maxima had. I much prefer the Maxima for many reasons, but there are probably some here who might like the Stinger, which is powerful, agile, and is probably nearer to being a 4DSC than the Maxima.
stinger will replace my maxima in 2 years
Old 02-19-2018, 08:15 PM

2021 will be the 9th gen.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
My Maxima Platinum lease is up in 8 months and I will replace that with another 2019 Platinum. For value there is not any other car I can find that has this much equipment and still looks great.
I didn't lease and have the 2017 SR midnight, but kind of thinking same thing. If I had to replace right now, I'd go for the same thing with the same reasons. Plus I have great power and get 29-30 mpg. I also really like the V6 in Nissans compared to others with or without turbo's.

Cars isn't perfect by any means, but I've had A LOT of cars and none of them are.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 AM

Well Minnesotan,

Looks haven't had much luck finding ex-maxima drivers here. Nice of you to drop by though
Old 02-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I feel like alot of people are dumping their Max for a Stinger or a Camry.... I'm basing this on finding alot of preowned maxima's on Kia lots and Toyota Lots. I think when the Genesis G70 comes online and peoples Maxima leases run out etc we will see alot of people going that route too. The typical competitors (camry/accord) have stepped up their game and the newcommers (Stinger, G70) are knocking it out of the ****ing park pretty much.

Last edited by Roddy13; 02-20-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roddy13
I feel like alot of people are dumping their Max for a Stinger or a Camry.... I'm basing this on finding alot of preowned maxima's on Kia lots and Toyota Lots. I think when the Genesis G70 comes online and peoples Maxima leases run out etc we will see alot of people going that route too. The typical competitors (camry/accord) have stepped up their game and the newcommers (Stinger, G70) are knocking it out of the ****ing park pretty much.
Many boy racers will move to the "Stinger" but it is still an expensive Kia and while there is nothing wrong with that, it is less than a known distinctive car but merely a flavor of a cheaper common car.

At 1st glance the Genesis G70 might be a more subtle contender. So glad they dropped the Huyundi name on this series. Just have to see what the real world prices are like after it comes out this spring
Old 02-20-2018, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

To get a Stinger GT, you are spending $10k more that I am seeing as the current prices of SR or Platinum Maximas (2018) - bump it to GT1 or GT2 and you are looking over $10k more. It is an intriguing option but like already said, 1st year car, Kia badge and a stigma that is still 3-5 years from being lost as being budget car builder.

I rent all kinds of cars when travelling for work and have had the chance to rent 2017-2018 Maxima models, the last being a Platinum. It continues to be a car that makes me consider. Last trip I drove it on a road that I drive frequently in my own cars between Orlando and Tampa and it made me really feel like I needed a new car.

My Nissan Titan (2005 with 257k miles) and my wife's Corolla (2010 with 168k miles) both have been relatively trouble free (the Titan being a little more issue-ridden during the warranty with brakes and rear diff).

While the Camry looks nicer in the new iteration, I am still finding my regional limitations for Toyota to be a bother. This keeps the pricing of the XSE V6 to be higher OTD than the current pricing on the Maxima SR through Platinum.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 PM

I test drove the Camry xse v6 before I bought my Maxima. I was extremely disappointed with the Camry power and saying it's 301hp. It felt very slow and the handling was terrible compared to the Maxima.
I had no intentions of buying another Maxima. But for all it offers and others I drove, it was a no brainer.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by whit
I test drove the Camry xse v6 before I bought my Maxima. I was extremely disappointed with the Camry power and saying it's 301hp. It felt very slow and the handling was terrible compared to the Maxima.
I had no intentions of buying another Maxima. But for all it offers and others I drove, it was a no brainer.
Great points as you must concentrate on the deal at hand rather than the sticker prices. Right now there are some super deals on the Max.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Well that's not the case, the reason that you are seeing more newer Maxima's on other MFG's dealers lots is because they are buying previous rental's from previous car rental car auctions. Hertz and the Enterprise group have lots of Maxima's of all trims now where as it used to be only the S, so when they reach a certain mileage they sell them at auction and dealers love to be late model popular cars to resale.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Interesting that you found the Camry more a higher quality. In the past I've always felt Toyota was lacking on the quality feel and luxury aesthetics, even the Avalon seemed tin-canish on the inside. I'll have to sit down in one just for the fun of it...
I agree, I can't think of many car's if any south of 45-50K that has a nicer interior/quality than a Platinum or SL etc, heck it is even better quality than some 60k cars.. There is a reason why it won one of Ward's top interiors of 2016!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 PM

I sold my sr and got me a 18 infinity q50S 400 hp rwd. Big difference.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by A36-SR
I sold my sr and got me a 18 infinity q50S 400 hp rwd. Big difference.
I just could not hack the Infinity 50's old design. Sure it is a great performer but after 300 HP another 100 HP seems superficial considering I get over 30 MPG on the Max.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM

the stinger is an intriguing option....but i couldn't justify the 10k extra...not to mention you still have a colossal kia badge on the back....they need a new logo...it's cheap looking

and the new camry looks like it's trying to appeal to 15 year olds with that transformer front end...just not my idea of attractive, to each his own...not to mention there will be a trillion of them on the road within a year...i like the little bit of exclusivity the maxima provides
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 PM

That's kind of the kicker when it comes to the Camry. It can put up some good performance numbers, perhaps on par with Maxima. But you know aside from the red seats, it kind of looks like ever other 4-cylinder buggy in the parking lot (or it will in a year from now when everyone and their mom is driving one). I respect Toyota, they make good quality cars... but they should have morphed the "performance Camry" into something new, maybe even a different badge altogether.

That's what I really appreciate about the Maxima. While it may share a few parts from the Altima bin, when you see it coming there's no question what it is. Now if Nissan can just step up their game with the quality, they'd have a real winner
Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
That's kind of the kicker when it comes to the Camry. It can put up some good performance numbers, perhaps on par with Maxima. But you know aside from the red seats, it kind of looks like ever other 4-cylinder buggy in the parking lot (or it will in a year from now when everyone and their mom is driving one). I respect Toyota, they make good quality cars... but they should have morphed the "performance Camry" into something new, maybe even a different badge altogether.

That's what I really appreciate about the Maxima. While it may share a few parts from the Altima bin, when you see it coming there's no question what it is. Now if Nissan can just step up their game with the quality, they'd have a real winner
agreed!