8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Small tire crack? Is it still usable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:50 PM

Small tire crack? Is it still usable?

Is this tire still usable? Crack doesn’t seem to deep and that’s the only area with it. Inner wall of tire is completely normal and the integrity of the sidewalk still seems stiff. Tire was made October 2017 so it’s fairly new

Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 PM

You may well get many more good miles from this tire. But I personally would replace this tire. The inside of the tire does indeed look fine, but we have no way to see the belts inside the tire, and the sidewall is by far the most vulnerable part of any tire. Adding to the problem, we are entering the hot portion of the year, when a tire with a cool season reading of 35 psi will sometimes reach 39 or 40 psi on hot roads at freeway speed.

Yes, this tire still has good tread, but if I did decide to keep this tire, I would move it to a back wheel where it might not totally compromise control of steering if it blows.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Looks like the tire was compressed in that area pretty bad seeing all the scratch marks around the cracks. If it was my tire I would replace it. Just my opinion. Take it to a tire shop and get their recommendation.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
You may well get many more good miles from this tire. But I personally would replace this tire. The inside of the tire does indeed look fine, but we have no way to see the belts inside the tire, and the sidewall is by far the most vulnerable part of any tire. Adding to the problem, we are entering the hot portion of the year, when a tire with a cool season reading of 35 psi will sometimes reach 39 or 40 psi on hot roads at freeway speed.

Yes, this tire still has good tread, but if I did decide to keep this tire, I would move it to a back wheel where it might not totally compromise control of steering if it blows.
The seller I bought them used from said that whenever he got them unmounted to put on his new Michelins, discount tire said the tire was okay and were actually about to take them as trade-ins but he told them he was going to sell himself. The seller said he hit something that scraped his rim hard and that happened because of it but it still drove fine and was approved by discount tire that nothing was wrong
Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Richard66
Looks like the tire was compressed in that area pretty bad seeing all the scratch marks around the cracks. If it was my tire I would replace it. Just my opinion. Take it to a tire shop and get their recommendation.
If I could afford it, I would replace it too but luckily these are going to be my rear tires since I'm a staggered setup!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Kyletrann
The seller I bought them used from said that whenever he got them unmounted to put on his new Michelins, discount tire said the tire was okay and were actually about to take them as trade-ins but he told them he was going to sell himself. The seller said he hit something that scraped his rim hard and that happened because of it but it still drove fine and was approved by discount tire that nothing was wrong
My wife also did battle with a curb and lost. In the end, we replaced both the wheel (of which the rim is part of) and the tire. It just does not make sense to take the chance and have a blow out in the highway.

Last edited by robtroxel; 06-02-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Kyletrann
Did Discount Tire tell YOU the tire was ok, or are you just believing the seller?
Old 06-02-2018, 11:00 AM

That is one thing you don't mess around with or question. Tires with something like that. Replace ASAP that is your life rolling down the road.