8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Why is the resale so horrific with this car?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:04 AM

Why is the resale so horrific with this car?

I don't get it. Is it the CVT thing or what? The SR/Platinum are very premium imo. Granted this is our only other Nissan since the 80's but overall with a few minor complaints with issues. Fixed under warranty btw, I still really like the car.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:05 AM

Whats is all this based on?
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 AM

They make too many of them, it's not a premium brand, it's heavily leased...the list goes on.

You want a vehicle that doesn't depreciate based on BB, Jeep Grand Cherokee (Not the Cherokee, just the Grand), Ram 1500, Ford F150, Chevy Silverado, look them up used, 2 years old under 20k miles, they're asking $5000 less then the brand new price. Nissan 2 years old that many miles, you're down well over 35-45%, or roughly $12000...for a Platinum.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:55 AM

It was the same with the 7th Gen, but I'm of the mind that if I'm happy with the car and I plan to keep it, I'm not worrying about the depreciation. I'm just going to enjoy it.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Got Retrofit?

Better ride it till the wheels fall off!!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 AM

I just saw an article claiming that the Maxima has one of the worst depreciation values for cars currently on sale today. The article claimed that after 3 years the Maxima lost almost 48% of it's value...

So, my question would be what are these depreciation values baselined against? Is it the full MSRP of the vehicle or market value (average actual selling price for a given make/model/trim level) at the time when originlly sold?

The reason I ask is that at the time of my purchase (new '17 SR purchased in early July of last year), the sticker price was $39,500. I essentially paid $30,000 after rebates at the time but before tax, title and license fees ($33k out the door). This was a cash sale with no trade in. That's potentially a 25% difference in the baseline value of the car which these used car prices are being compaired against.

I'm assuming the used prices are being measured against MSRP which is pretty misleading metric as to the actual value being lost from the time of purchase.

Early adopters who purchased when the 8th gen Maxima first hit the market probably paid close to MSRP so the depreciation numbers for these folks are probably true but folks who waited just a little while, well... I don't think that they are getting slammed any worse than any other comparable vehicle and are probably doing better than most of the competition.

My thoughts at least.

Last edited by CNTS13; 06-14-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CNTS13
I just saw an article claiming that the Maxima has one of the worst depreciation values for cars currently on sale today. The article claimed that after 3 years the Maxima lost almost 48% of it's value...

So, my question would be what are these depreciation values baselined against? Is it the full MSRP of the vehicle or market value (average actual selling price for a given make/model/trim level) at the time when originlly sold?

The reason I ask is that at the time of my purchase (new '17 SR purchased in early July of last year), the sticker price was $39,500. I essentially paid $30,000 after rebates at the time but before tax, title and license fees ($33k out the door). This was a cash sale with no trade in. That's potentially a 25% difference in the baseline value of the car which these used car prices are being compaired against.

I'm assuming the used prices are being measured against MSRP which is pretty misleading metric as to the actual value being lost from the time of purchase.

Early adopters who purchased when the 8th gen Maxima first hit the market probably paid close to MSRP so the depreciation numbers for these folks are probably true but folks who waited just a little while, well... I don't think that they are getting slammed any worse than any other comparable vehicle and are probably doing better than most of the competition.

My thoughts at least.
This is what I also wonder. My last Maxima (2012 SV) was MSRP $42100, but I paid $33100. I traded it after 3 yrs...and was offered $21k in trade. That would be 63% (lost 33%) value after 3 yrs, and market value of that would be higher compared to trade value. Now, comparing my trade value to MSRP, that is 50% value retained after 3 yrs in my case at trade value...not the higher market value. Btw...the dealer then turned around and advertised my old car for $26k (crazy!), so I assume market value of the 2012 Maxmia with 32k miles was somewhere around $23-25k (69-76% value after 3 yrs compared to actual selling price, or a 24-31% loss. Also, 55-59% value of MSRP, or 41-45% loss).

My first Maxima was a new 2007 SE base model (5 miles on odometer), with MSRP of $29k. I paid $23500. I traded it on the 2012 SV after 5 yrs, and they offered me $12k trade after 86k miles. At trade value, my 2007 SE was valued at 51% of what I paid (49% loss), or 41% value of MSRP (69% loss) after 5 yrs and 86k miles.

Given my experiences, I have always though the Maxima held its value very well, so I scratch my head at such claims of value dropping fast. My cars at trade were also in immaculate condition and very well maintained, and my local dealer wanted them badly to sell on their used lot.

Last edited by wtgkb8; 06-14-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:25 PM

1. Too many Maxima rentals (just like other Nissans).

2. Nissan inflates MSRPs and then offers large discounts. For example, a 2018 Maxima SV (no LED, no sunroof, basic sound system) has an MSRP of 35,270, on par with a fully loaded Camry, Accord, and Mazda6, but with nowhere near their level of equipment.

3. Nissan's reliability is not as good as many competitors, like Honda and Toyota.

4. For most, there is no good reason to get this car over a fully loaded mainstream family car (assuming you insist on a sedan), especially after the 2018 model year redesigns. The Maxima doesn't really offer more luxury, and isn't really sportier. People get it because of brand loyalty, or they like the styling, or they fall for the 4DSC marketing.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:48 PM

I won't know the resale value for about another 7-8 years, but she will be a creampuff when I do decide to sell her.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:15 PM
Father of the 00 VI

I wish they would lose their value even faster. That's one of the main reasons i have 3 maxima's right now.

I buy cars and drive them till they die. After driving this black 96 for 11 years it finally got towed away today.Bought it for $2500 11 years ago.

Gray 2001 $1300 in garage, next on deck. I have been restoring it, so this one will probably cost in the $3500-4000 area, when i am done.

Drive them people, get your money out of them.they are tools like a drill or screwdriver.
Attached Thumbnails Why is the resale so horrific with this car?-img_8942.jpg  
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 AM

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-re...size-car-2017/

This year it dropped to second place behind the Avalon.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-re...full-size-car/

Which begs the question. Is KBB a lie?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-re...size-car-2017/

This year it dropped to second place behind the Avalon.

https://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-re...full-size-car/

Which begs the question. Is KBB a lie?

Its not the just the fault of the Maxima. Its the Car Class in general. I mean its like 1st or 2nd place in the car class that has the worst resale value of all vehicle classes. Not much to brag about with that.

At this point, not sure I care too much as I plan on having paid off in 3 years and will go from there.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:27 AM

People are buying SUV's.
Cost/price spread between entry-level and top-end (features and some packages residualize to zero over 3-5 years).
It's not a luxury marque but priced up into that "grey area" between family sedans and luxury brands.
Demographic profile of buyers (sorry, this is the truth).
Number of vehicles sold to fleets.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
I wish they would lose their value even faster. That's one of the main reasons i have 3 maxima's right now.

I buy cars and drive them till they die. After driving this black 96 for 11 years it finally got towed away today.Bought it for $2500 11 years ago.
Ditto on this...

I bought mine "lightly used" and I'm quite happy with the additional mark down. I've had great luck buying 1-2 year old cars, then driving them until they are at least 10. Sure I'm not driving something flashy and new all the time, but 5+ years without car payments is very nice too
Old 06-17-2018, 09:17 AM

The MSRP for my 2017 base model was $34,310, with dealer discount $2,495 and Nissan loyalty discount of $6,650, $9,145 total discounts, new adjusted sale price of $25,165, and I had a trade in with $1,000 negative equity, so at the end I paid $24,000 plus taxes and fees, even with the huge depreciation it is not a bad deal. Now if you paid MSRP it is a really bad deal. I think Nissan's MSRPs are inflated on purpose to be able to offer huge discounts to engage potential buyers.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Fishlet
Ditto on this...

I bought mine "lightly used" and I'm quite happy with the additional mark down. I've had great luck buying 1-2 year old cars, then driving them until they are at least 10. Sure I'm not driving something flashy and new all the time, but 5+ years without car payments is very nice too
thats the way to do it, buy a 1-3 year old car and let the "man" take that initial depreciation hit!
Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 AM

1) Inflated MSRP's
2) Max has to have huge incentives to move on the retail side and has been that way since gen 5.
3) Way to many sold to fleets, Hertz and the Enterprise family has lots of them from S to the Platinum. They dump them at auctions and dealers when the agency is done with them flooding the Max used car market lowering values.
4) Nissan's reputation has taken a huge downturn when since 6th gen Max, previous Titan and previous Quest were introduced with ton's of transmission and electrical issues just to name a few of the problems that inflicted them that prior Nissan's did not have.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
1) Inflated MSRP's
2) Max has to have huge incentives to move on the retail side and has been that way since gen 5.
3) Way to many sold to fleets, Hertz and the Enterprise family has lots of them from S to the Platinum. They dump them at auctions and dealers when the agency is done with them flooding the Max used car market lowering values.
4) Nissan's reputation has taken a huge downturn when since 6th gen Max, previous Titan and previous Quest were introduced with ton's of transmission and electrical issues just to name a few of the problems that inflicted them that prior Nissan's did not have.

^

Not an inaccurate summary. My 2016 lease in Canada @ .9% for 48 mths was not much more than a loaded Corolla. Just giving them away. At my store Rogue make for 70% of all new vehicle sales. Without the Rogue it would be lights out. The new AWD Altima could be another hit.

All that said the Maxima is an excellent car. The Murano also holds it's own. Still superior to the D2 on average.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Blasterguy
^
All that said the Maxima is an excellent car. The Murano also holds it's own. Still superior to the D2 on average.
If I had to drive a SUV , I'd probably go with the Murano. But I think they are a bit overpriced.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 PM

If I had to drive a SUV , I'd probably go with the Murano. But I think they are a bit overpriced.

Does that pertain to all V6 SUVs or just the Murano? Currently, a Murano with the full sweet of autonomous driving aids is too pricy. Nissan needs to and will probably package a full sweet of aids next year to the lowly SV which will make it one of the least expensive V6 SUVs.

Probably will not return to a Nissan after the MAXs lease comes due, but will leave with a healthy respect.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 AM

Does that pertain to all V6 SUVs or just the Murano? Currently, a Murano with the full sweet of autonomous driving aids is too pricy. Nissan needs to and will probably package a full sweet of aids next year to the lowly SV which will make it one of the least expensive V6 SUVs.

Probably will not return to a Nissan after the MAXs lease comes due, but will leave with a healthy respect.
I am also on a lease, I still have 2 more years to go, quality and reliability will define if I stay with the Maxima, so far the driving, handling and experience is TOP.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 PM

^

Not an inaccurate summary. My 2016 lease in Canada @ .9% for 48 mths was not much more than a loaded Corolla. Just giving them away. At my store Rogue make for 70% of all new vehicle sales. Without the Rogue it would be lights out. The new AWD Altima could be another hit.

Might be a great car but it's very accurate for it down here in the States, all of us that have been around Maxima's for several generations know these facts about it.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by slava
1. Too many Maxima rentals (just like other Nissans).

2. Nissan inflates MSRPs and then offers large discounts. For example, a 2018 Maxima SV (no LED, no sunroof, basic sound system) has an MSRP of 35,270, on par with a fully loaded Camry, Accord, and Mazda6, but with nowhere near their level of equipment.

3. Nissan's reliability is not as good as many competitors, like Honda and Toyota.

4. For most, there is no good reason to get this car over a fully loaded mainstream family car (assuming you insist on a sedan), especially after the 2018 model year redesigns. The Maxima doesn't really offer more luxury, and isn't really sportier. People get it because of brand loyalty, or they like the styling, or they fall for the 4DSC marketing.
Well said!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by lindros2
People are buying SUV's.
Cost/price spread between entry-level and top-end (features and some packages residualize to zero over 3-5 years).
It's not a luxury marque but priced up into that "grey area" between family sedans and luxury brands.
Demographic profile of buyers (sorry, this is the truth).
Number of vehicles sold to fleets.
Lindros hit it on the head. The US is now buying SUV's and vehicles with automatic transmissions. Ford has even decided to shift away from selling cars in the US, according to what I heard on the Marketplace Podcast recently. The lack of buyers for manual transmissions also forced Nissan to go away from the original formula which always included the manual transmission up until the 6th Gen. Ford put in a great effort with the Fiesta ST and people ignored it and bought SUV's. The majority of buyers could care less about a 4DSC. Instead of looking at performance specs they are looking for Apple Car Play, Auto Pilot and Back Up Cameras. Manufacturers are taking notice.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Once my CVT warranty is up and it fails I plan on doing a 6 speed manual swap and adding a turbo. I was doing some research and people say the VQ35DE is a very powerful engine.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:04 PM

#suite
Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM

All SUV's are overpriced - since there are so many, profits are eroding as they sit on dealer lots.
I looked at the GMC Acadia Denali ($10k off) and for $39,000 it was a great deal.
Until I sat in it and the center console plastic (the whole thing) fell apart. Seriously.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Maxima Residual value sucks because the build quality is garbage. Feeling of build quality doesn't last... Sad truth
Old 06-23-2018, 07:19 PM

Yeah that’s it.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by CNTRT
Maxima Residual value sucks because the build quality is garbage. Feeling of build quality doesn't last... Sad truth
I can't really refute that, but a few things make me question if it is really as bad as you say.

Of course, everyone always says Toyota (and sometimes Honda) are the most reliable. Whenever I see comparison charts, Nissan seems to score solidly in the "average" camp. I could go find those links again and post them here but I'm lazy today. I have yet to see an objective report that puts it at the bottom in terms of reliability though.

Anecdotally, I know lots of folks who drive Nissans , mostly Altima and rogue. They've had minor issues, but for the most part they seem to like what they got.

I recently posed the question about long term reliability in the 7th gen forum. That's not very scientific but I've got a few replies, including some who put over 300k on their cars. I think they have put more love into the 8th gen, while underneath it still has a lot in common with the previous generation

So long story short, yeah the Max may not be known for reliability, but I don't think it has a bad reputation either... at least not enough to kill its resale value. It's not like it's a Fiat 500

Instead I think it's the confused identity that this car has that hurts its sales. It's a bunch of things, but "master of none". It's not quite a sports car, not quite a luxury car, it's not quite full size, etc. I like the balance, but I suspect the average buyer needs to have it clearly defined for them

That, and as others have said, everyone is SUV crazy these days
Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 AM

I can't really refute that, but a few things make me question if it is really as bad as you say.

Of course, everyone always says Toyota (and sometimes Honda) are the most reliable. Whenever I see comparison charts, Nissan seems to score solidly in the "average" camp. I could go find those links again and post them here but I'm lazy today. I have yet to see an objective report that puts it at the bottom in terms of reliability though.

Anecdotally, I know lots of folks who drive Nissans , mostly Altima and rogue. They've had minor issues, but for the most part they seem to like what they got.

I recently posed the question about long term reliability in the 7th gen forum. That's not very scientific but I've got a few replies, including some who put over 300k on their cars. I think they have put more love into the 8th gen, while underneath it still has a lot in common with the previous generation

So long story short, yeah the Max may not be known for reliability, but I don't think it has a bad reputation either... at least not enough to kill its resale value. It's not like it's a Fiat 500

Instead I think it's the confused identity that this car has that hurts its sales. It's a bunch of things, but "master of none". It's not quite a sports car, not quite a luxury car, it's not quite full size, etc. I like the balance, but I suspect the average buyer needs to have it clearly defined for them

That, and as others have said, everyone is SUV crazy these days
I'm not talking about reliability... I'm talking about build quality... Initially this car feels like it's built well. But over time, brake pulsations, rattles/buzzes, steering issues, clunks in the rear suspension, Yada Yada Yada occur quicker than they 'should'....

The feel of 'premium' quality deteriorates over time. That's what I'm referring to.

my 2017 has just over 10k miles, and it has steering issues, my brakes pulsate at certain speeds, there are a few new dashboard buzzes which are driving me crazy, and the trans has been shifting a little less "seamlessly" than it did when new...

All of this within the first 10k miles.

Quality... That's the reason for the poor residual value... It may run forever, but how will the build quality feel over time? That's the difference
Old 06-24-2018, 11:22 AM

My 2017, is 9 months old and has 4K miles on it, it has been flawless, no issues that will affect the driving experience, the only quality problem are the black plastic trims on the back rear side panel that have broken 2 times in the last 2 months, both replaced under warranty. I only use touch-less car wash by the way.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:10 PM

I'm not talking about reliability... I'm talking about build quality... Initially this car feels like it's built well. But over time, brake pulsations, rattles/buzzes, steering issues, clunks in the rear suspension, Yada Yada Yada occur quicker than they 'should'....

The feel of 'premium' quality deteriorates over time. That's what I'm referring to.

my 2017 has just over 10k miles, and it has steering issues, my brakes pulsate at certain speeds, there are a few new dashboard buzzes which are driving me crazy, and the trans has been shifting a little less "seamlessly" than it did when new...

Quality... That's the reason for the poor residual value... It may run forever, but how will the build quality feel over time? That's the difference
You've hit the nail on the head. I have 22K miles and my experience has been very similar to yours. The car feels very solid and refined for the first couple of months, then the build flaws begin to surface. The worst for me is the quiet but distinct hiss coming from the hood between 1500 and 2000 RMP; until a few months ago, acceleration was silent and smooth unless you floored the throttle. The mechanic at the dealer couldn't hear it (but of course), so now I have to waste another Saturday trying to have it diagnosed...
Old 06-24-2018, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

my dude there isnt an sv thats that price to start
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM

Sorry to hear bout those troubles, I guess I've just been lucky (so far). Just crossed the 13k mark, and aside from some rattles (that went away when the weather warmed up), it's been pretty good. I guess time will tell.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:52 AM

24K 2016 S Leased in 2015...only issues disconcerting are the annoying rattles and vibrations sub 32 degrees. When it's warm they're gone.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Coming up on 47K miles. No issues.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quality doesn't impact residuals as much as people are whining about.
If there is a market, residuals = high.
If no one wants a MaxiPad with 36k miles, no market.
= low residuals.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 PM

J.D. Power: "The Maxima is the highest quality Large Car in this year’s study, scoring higher than the Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Charger, and Toyota Avalon. Like the Altima, Nissan Maxima also received highest marks in various categories: overall quality, overall quality – mechanical, powertrain quality – mechanical, body & interior quality – mechanical, overall quality – design, body & interior quality – design, and features & accessories quality – design."

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ment-2018.html
Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by sschumer
J.D. Power: "The Maxima is the highest quality Large Car in this year’s study, scoring higher than the Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Charger, and Toyota Avalon. Like the Altima, Nissan Maxima also received highest marks in various categories: overall quality, overall quality – mechanical, powertrain quality – mechanical, body & interior quality – mechanical, overall quality – design, body & interior quality – design, and features & accessories quality – design."

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ment-2018.html
I agree. Running a 2016 Platinum for 32 months and 33 K miles. The sticker price is too high but most of us paid no where near that number so I may go for a 2019 if they get them to market before the end of the year. I may extend my lease 90 days if needed. Not a better car out there right now for the dough.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is the resale so horrific with this car?