8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Radar obstruction warning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:09 PM

Radar obstruction warning?

This is a first. Car has a little over 10k miles on it. Had to take a trip today on the freeway and had this warning come on a few times. Then it would go away after a few minutes. It happened 4 times between going to and from my destination. Checked out the manual and said it would warn of a real malfunction stating that. But, I just got the obstruction warnings.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:30 AM

Was it raining really hard?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:14 AM

I've only experienced that in the winter with snow and ice build up.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:21 AM

I started getting that on my 2017 max with just over 20,000 miles, like you said it goes away after a few minutes.. I don't know what could be causing it because its been nice weather when it comes on.
I figured id mention it to the dealer when I go in for a service....let me know if you figure out what could be causing it !
Old 09-14-2018, 08:50 AM

I notice that on my car it comes on in the winter with the snow, which seems normal but it also seems to come on quite a bit when its raining. Seems a little rain triggers the warning about the sensor being obstructed. its a little disappointing since it seems to disable in bad weather and that seems like the time where you might need those systems.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:31 PM

The weather was clear. A little smokey but other then that fine. I have never had it go off in the rain even in heavy rain.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
The weather was clear. A little smokey but other then that fine. I have never had it go off in the rain even in heavy rain.
By any chance did you notice the alert as you were rounding a slight curve where the lanes were separated by those 3-4 ft. high concrete dividers. First time I noticed this alert was during this condition when the divider was just off my left bumper.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 PM

My 2017.5 brand new platinum had the same issue when when I drove it off the lot . I believe it only had 25 miles when I noticed it. I took it back to the dealer and drove home in a loaner after getting my new car...They took 2 days to fix it and since then has not had any issues with the obstruction warning. It was a clear and sunny day....
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
By any chance did you notice the alert as you were rounding a slight curve where the lanes were separated by those 3-4 ft. high concrete dividers. First time I noticed this alert was during this condition when the divider was just off my left bumper.
No curves or any thing like that. Straight open highway.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:36 PM

I've only seen this in heavy rain or foggy conditions.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:15 PM

I have a new wheel being put on soon along with oil change, tire rotation and air filter change. I will mention this when making an appointment and certainly watching for it when I make the drive out there soon.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
Mine does this too. Also when I am headed for an underpass where the road dips.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Mine does this too. Also when I am headed for an underpass where the road dips.
Again, same here. Forgot about that condition.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Getting things done on Monday. I also thought about my bumper being loose on one side that could be causing it as seen here. https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...nt-bumper.html
Old 09-21-2018, 06:47 AM

My concern is getting rear-ended around town when the car decides to put on the binders with no input from me. Usually, it's the underpass situation with the road dip
Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 PM

Got er done today. Said they found some bugs where the sensor is at and hoped that would solve it. Behind the bumper?!?!? I never would have seen them! It did not sadly. Coming home it went off twice on the highway. 4 times going up there today as well. They need to dig deeper and I am coming back in on Wednesday. Interesting what it can be. Faulty sensor/camera?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by FattiesGoneWild
This is a first. Car has a little over 10k miles on it. Had to take a trip today on the freeway and had this warning come on a few times. Then it would go away after a few minutes. It happened 4 times between going to and from my destination. Checked out the manual and said it would warn of a real malfunction stating that. But, I just got the obstruction warnings.
I've had the same issue, from what the manual says it could also stop due to other radar interference.