8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

A piece of advice before the purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question A piece of advice before the purchase

Hello everybody!

I am thinking about buying a used 2017 model Nissan Maxima. As I have heard from people, Nissan had big issues with its CVT transmission. How is it in 8th generation of Maxima? Is it a reliable car and do you recommend to buy it?
Best regards
Old 09-14-2018, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

More reliable than yesteryear but still a CVT. It's a compromise.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Hey Elnuryek,

i dont have solid solid numbers to back this up, but anecdotally... the CVTS in recent years have been par with regular ones. Also, the ones In their higher horsepower cars seem to have a better record than their cheap cars (Versas for example)

Whether or not you'll like the "feel" of a CVT is all personal preference. Many of us here didn't like it too much at first but have grown to love it.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by elnuryek
Hello everybody!

I am thinking about buying a used 2017 model Nissan Maxima. As I have heard from people, Nissan had big issues with its CVT transmission. How is it in 8th generation of Maxima? Is it a reliable car and do you recommend to buy it?
Best regards
Tons of us here have had no problems at all. I have over 150,000 miles on CVT's with no problems (Altima and Maxima).
Old 09-14-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima SR
More reliable than yesteryear but still a CVT. It's a compromise.
what does that even mean?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
what does that even mean?
Too much cough syrup last night?

CVTs have gone through growing pains since their conception. A lot of people, no mater how much they love the rest of the car, won't buy it if it has a CVT simply because they worry about reliability.

The 8th gen Maxima has the most current version CVT which is way stronger and more reliable than Nissan's 1st gen CVT's. With that being said people still have negative feelings towards CVTs.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:36 AM
MadMax in The City

I have no problem with it. I especially enjoy it more when I leave it in sport mode....to me you get a better feel and better fuel consumption. This is fourth maxima, with over 200,000 miles on CVT.... no issues so far.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 PM

Hello everybody!

Best regards
With all the posts on the internet regarding CVT problems I would be afraid to own one, HOWEVER, if you go searching in the right places for CVT reliability in the Gen 7 and Gen 8 you will find many folks who praise the car, except for rear seat space which I have never understood. I bought my new Max because of the flawless operation of my old '07 Altima. When deciding between the Max, the Impala, or the Malibu (my top 3) my buying decision was based on the overall WOW of the Max and my past ownership experience with the CVT. What capped it was GM did not offer a CVT. I'm at 22k miles now and no problems with the CVT and the Max chassis and engine have been flawless too. Best car I have ever owned. Not one squeak or rattle either even over and "down through" Ohio potholes.

Last edited by compyelc4; 09-16-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by compyelc4
With all the posts on the internet regarding CVT problems I would be afraid to own one, HOWEVER, if you go searching in the right places for CVT reliability in the Gen 7 and Gen 8 you will find many folks who praise the car, except for rear seat space which I have never understood. I bought my new Max because of the flawless operation of my old '07 Altima. When deciding between the Max, the Impala, or the Malibu (my top 3) my buying decision was based on the overall WOW of the Max and my past ownership experience with the CVT. What capped it was GM did not offer a CVT. I'm at 22k miles now and no problems with the CVT and the Max chassis and engine have been flawless too. Best car I have ever owned. Not one squeak or rattle either even over and "down through" Ohio potholes.
Best car I have ever had also
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 AM

Had 170k miles and no problems whatsoever
Old 09-18-2018, 11:28 AM

I got my 7th Gen in September of 2008 and traded her with 119k in May of 2017. I never had an issue with the CVT, never had the CVT serviced. The only reason I didn't have it serviced was because my service advisor said that he's heard others complain about loss of power after having the CVT serviced. I just drove it normally and it lasted. I expect the same for my 8th Gen.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:50 AM

My 2009 Maxima has 86,000 miles. Never had a problem with CVT.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I will import this Maxima A36 from USA to Europe (Poland), as you know Maxima is not available here, the only way to get Maxima is from USA I worry that, when this CVT will be broken, there will be no way to repair it here, that is why I am looking for reliability
Old 11-24-2018, 04:06 AM

I do not believe there are reliability issues anymore, they just suck A$$
Old 11-24-2018, 04:50 AM

I've Driven two Sentras, and owned four Altimas (2008, (2) 2013, 2015) and three Maximas (2016, 2017 & a 2017.5), all with CVTs. I personally LOVE the glide feel of the CVT prior to the Maxima, and with the new generation CVT with the SPORT setting now on the Maxima, I can get the good pull I need when I want to Go but still get a refined Glide Feel if I don't push the accelerator hard. I have had NO reliability issues with ANY of my CVT propelled cars - I have no idea why there are all these negative reviews on the net when, even the Dealer's Service Manager who is a good friend of mine, tells me he rarely has any of the CVTs come back with any issues. I keep thinking its just that drivers have been accustomed to the jerky feel of a regular transmission, and can't understand the Glide Feel of the CVT, hence, a Hate it relationship develops. My GF refuses to drive anything but a CVT and has taken rental cars back to swap them out for an Altima or a Sentra just to drive a CVT. All this talk about reliability and how awful these trannys are, is just pure Hogwash given my experience with them
Old 11-24-2018, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
I do not believe there are reliability issues anymore, they just suck A$$
Yeah, a transmission that gives the best possible fuel economy, unlimited gear ratios between between low and high for the best performance possible, and doesn't lose acceleration due to shifts...that sucks.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Its not the trans I would worry about.. Its the price you pay for the car...The 8th Gen's can be had cheap if you know how to buy a car... They are dropping in value fast... When the 9th Gen arrives..8th Gen prices will plumment even further..
Old 11-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher
Yeah, a transmission that gives the best possible fuel economy, unlimited gear ratios between between low and high for the best performance possible, and doesn't lose acceleration due to shifts...that sucks.
In the enthusiast realm...you are in the Minority. My 80 Y/O mother likes the CVT too
Old 11-24-2018, 10:52 AM

In the enthusiast realm...you are in the Minority. My 80 Y/O mother likes the CVT too
Many of us like the CVT for the reasons stated above.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:06 AM

This is my first CVT, and It took awile to get used to, but I really do like it... Its very smooth and I do like the power band sweet spot it stays in... Now with that being said,,My wife bought a new 17 Sr Altima SR Midnight with a 2.5 and because it has a hamster on a wheel, the CVT is a bit laggy..lol.. but it seems these transaxles love to have power in front of it ( Well to the side of it...lol.)
Most if that all of the complaints are from people who either buy these cars with a ton of miles on them, multiple owners and just plain beat the crap out of them and then complain they have issues or just don't understand the inner working of this Transaxle...
Nissan will never stop using it... If you don't want a CVT, then NIssan does have other alternatives... 370z or GTR...
Old 11-24-2018, 11:13 AM

Did either of you ever drive a Manual 3.5 L Maxima or Altima? If not, find one and drive it......You will see what I am talking about. The CVT has come a long way.....But Drones and vibrations are still there on many of them. I could not find a Maxima that did not vibrate on a test drive.......I just don't like them...I dont care what kind of MPG I get. I will say, the Max CVT was much better than my Altima (Which is old now) But at least it does not vibrate. It does other strange things from time to time.....but....not all the time. I had an 02 3.5 SE with and A4. It was so much better than my 2012 with the CVT. It also got better MPG. Nissan can shove the CVT up Carlos's jailbird A$$.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:10 PM

I will import this Maxima A36 from USA to Europe (Poland), as you know Maxima is not available here, the only way to get Maxima is from USA I worry that, when this CVT will be broken, there will be no way to repair it here, that is why I am looking for reliability
To get back to your original question, if they don't service Maximas in your home country, don't buy it. As others have stated, he 8th gen CVT is pretty good, but you should should get the recommended service, especially if you plan to drive it hard.

Ive come to love the smooth linear power of the CVT as well, I'll probably never go back to a old school automatic. The most amazing part is how well it can handle hills, which is awesome when hitting the on-ramps

Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 AM

Did either of you ever drive a Manual 3.5 L Maxima or Altima? If not, find one and drive it......You will see what I am talking about. The CVT has come a long way.....But Drones and vibrations are still there on many of them. I could not find a Maxima that did not vibrate on a test drive.......I just don't like them...I dont care what kind of MPG I get. I will say, the Max CVT was much better than my Altima (Which is old now) But at least it does not vibrate. It does other strange things from time to time.....but....not all the time. I had an 02 3.5 SE with and A4. It was so much better than my 2012 with the CVT. It also got better MPG. Nissan can shove the CVT up Carlos's jailbird A$$.
Wild *****,

Do you even have a Maxima ? I see lots of pot-shotting comments and feeling as you do, maybe time to go over to the Avalon forum.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Wild *****,

Do you even have a Maxima ? I see lots of pot-shotting comments and feeling as you do, maybe time to go over to the Avalon forum.
It appears as though I have been here 8 years longer than you, And No I do not have a Maxima because I could not find one that would not vibrate at our dealer. My Pot shots, as you call them, are solely directed at the CVT. The maxima is a great car, excellent car for what you can pay to own a fully loaded model. Long ago I used to make custom pedals for members here and other aluminum accessories. Nissan took note and started putting in the pieces I was making on the Altima and Maxima and there was no longer a need. This is a very good forum, and a lot of info cross references with my 3.5 Altima's.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 AM

It appears as though I have been here 8 years longer than you, And No I do not have a Maxima because I could not find one that would not vibrate at our dealer. My Pot shots, as you call them, are solely directed at the CVT. The maxima is a great car, excellent car for what you can pay to own a fully loaded model. Long ago I used to make custom pedals for members here and other aluminum accessories. Nissan took note and started putting in the pieces I was making on the Altima and Maxima and there was no longer a need. This is a very good forum, and a lot of info cross references with my 3.5 Altima's.
Aluminum pedals in the Max? 7th Gens or earlier Gens? That would be interesting..
Old 11-25-2018, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Aluminum pedals in the Max? 7th Gens or earlier Gens? That would be interesting..
I made them for 4th through 6th Gen....Or whatever was requested. Full Auto sets, Full Manual with Dead Pedals. It was a lot of work!!!!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:05 AM

I made them for 4th through 6th Gen....Or whatever was requested. Full Auto sets, Full Manual with Dead Pedals. It was a lot of work!!!!
Ahh ok… and yes I could imagine.. I hope you were appreciated !!!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nmax5150
Ahh ok… and yes I could imagine.. I hope you were appreciated !!!
Oh yes, the members were great here, still are....They gave me measurements and I made the pedals.....Nissan had a bad habit of changing sizes or gas pedals....lolo Mid rear....which really made it tricky to get the right set to people.....
Old 11-25-2018, 09:59 PM

As with any drastic change in automobiles, there will be some folks who grew very familiar with trannies of the past, and are not ready to move with the times. That has always been, and always will be the case.

BUT, After seven perfect years with my 2009 Premium, I knew I would never again buy a vehicle with any tranny other than a CVT. Anyone who says a manual or automatic tranny gets better MPG than this 8th gen CVT is either stretching things or does not know how to accurately measure MPG. With my 2016 Platinum, I am getting around 32 MPG around the Atlanta suburbs and around 33 MPG on freeway trips. I have been driving since the mid-1940s, and never got fuel efficiency in any vehicle anything close to what I get with this Maxima. I have owned and driven quite a few manual tranny cars, and, although I enjoy manual trannies, they suck gas and serve no practical purpose in the gridlock many of us must drive in these days. The CVT gives me the acceleration I sometimes need when passing on the open road. When I mash the pedal, this car jumps from 40 MPH to 80 MPH in seconds. I love driving my CVT powered Maxima.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 11-25-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 AM

Got my 1st Maxima new in 1985, then a new 2009 Premium, currently a then new 2016 Platinum.>> Wild *****, the CVT is here to stay and fortunately 99% or more of the current owners seem happy with how the CVT works. 30-34 mpg is a norm for me with no vibration in 40000 miles! I can't explain why you can't find a smooth vibration free Maxima. Glad your Altima has been a good car for you, but since you are not an 8th gen owner and therefore not in the game, I am amazed you continue to weigh in with critical comments based on a low mile test drive... Nonetheless, I respect your opinion in dissenting with the majority. Meanwhile I am getting ready to order a new 2019 Maxima Platinum since nothing else comes close to the value of this vehicle. Best of luck to you on whatever car you go for.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 AM

My 2016 has 65k miles and no vibration. I understand how the CVT works and do not compare it to a traditional, geared transmission.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 AM

That's nice that your mother has more smarts about CVT's than your "enthusiasts" Those who understand the CVT get how it is better.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:17 AM

Did either of you ever drive a Manual 3.5 L Maxima or Altima? If not, find one and drive it......You will see what I am talking about.
Yes I have. The CVT is far superior. [quote[ ...I just don't like them...I dont care what kind of MPG I get.[/quote] Clearly.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM

And why do you think it is that Nissan does not use the CVT in their Premium Infiniti Sedans.......? They want to offer an inferior transmission to the suckers?? Why none in the Ultimate Driving Machines? Interesting, being that they are so good..
Old 11-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Thumbs up

Hello everybody!

Best regards
Hey man. Everything you'll ever buy in life will come with risk. If you like/love the maxima, then take the vehicle to someone you trust and have them go all the way through it to make sure it hasn't been beaten on. I owned a 08 MAX SE with the CVT and put over 100k on it, never, ever any issue with the tranny. I now have a 2017 Platinum after having a bunch of "other" cars in between. I'll never have a non CVT again. The power delivery is a lot like what you find in a two stroke motor, as in, always there, and always ready to have the power put on the ground. Oh and I can get 31-33 MPG around 68-72 MPH. Honda has their new A10 transmission in the new Honda Accord, do a little research about customer feedback on that tranny, it's not good, it's jerky and ALWAYS shifting, ALWAYS. I owned one for 6 months, it was terrible. When it downshifts from gear 3,it goes right to gear 1 (yes, per honda it bypasses gear 2 on the downshift) and throws your head through the windshield every time. Toyota has the new 8 speed in the Camry, do a little research on those, loyal Camry buyers hate the new 8-speed. They've already had to release firmware to tone down the jerkiness of the tranny. I love the MAX and hope they continue to make it and sure hope they keep the CVT, I'm betting they will. Nissan had the guts to develop the CVT and look around, their are a lot of manufacturers following and putting CVT's in their flagship cars.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Go for it! Just purchased my 18 midnight. Love the vehicle. Coming from a Q50 this actually feels like a upgrade. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2018, 08:07 PM

It's a great tranny.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dom864
Go for it! Just purchased my 18 midnight. Love the vehicle. Coming from a Q50 this actually feels like a upgrade. Good luck!
Having spent time behind the wheels of both......I certainly agree with this post.......
Old 12-18-2018, 11:11 PM

Never had any issue. I have a 16 Maxima with 82k miles (132k km) with now issues at all.
I replaced the CVT fluid at 56k miles at the dealership and every thing is going smoothly till now.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:41 AM

Hello everybody!

Best regards
With all the posts on the internet regarding CVT problems I would be afraid to own one, HOWEVER, if you go searching in the right places for CVT reliability in the Gen 7 and Gen 8 you will find many folks who praise the car, except for rear seat space which I have never understood. I bought my new Max because of the flawless operation of my old '07 Altima. When deciding between the Max, the Impala, or the Malibu (my top 3) my buying decision was based on the overall WOW of the Max and my past ownership experience with the CVT. What capped it was G I'm at 22k miles now and no problems with the CVT and the Max chassis and engine have been flawless too. Best car I have ever owned. Not one squeak or rattle either even over and "down through" Ohio potholes.

Quick Reply: A piece of advice before the purchase