Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   8th Generation Maxima (2016-) (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016-88/)
-   -   Issues with car bottoming out/rubbing on tires (https://maxima.org/forums/8th-generation-maxima-2016/702752-issues-car-bottoming-out-rubbing-tires.html)

Boojack66 10-25-2018 04:10 PM

Issues with car bottoming out/rubbing on tires

iHello All,
Anyone put aftermarket rims on their vehicle with the Eibach pro kit lowering springs and have the rear hit the tires with passengers in the car? Here's my dilemma: I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SR and I purchased a set of 19 x 8.5 aftermarket rims(still OE size) with 245/40/19 tires(still OE size) with 35mm offset. Original factory rims are 50 mm offset. The other day, the family and I went out and the car started bottoming out/rubbing on the tires. Took the car back to the shop where I had the lowering springs installed, thinking there was an issue with the spring installation. Was told that it was because I installed bigger wheels, which I didn't, was causing the tires to hit the fender wells. The only difference in the rims was the offset; from 50mm to 35mm, Any suggestions on what I can do to be able to keep the wheels on the car without having the rubbing issue? I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SR. Thanks in advance for reading my post.

compyelc4 10-25-2018 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boojack66 (Post 9186154)
iHello All,
Anyone put aftermarket rims on their vehicle with the Eibach pro kit lowering springs and have the rear hit the tires with passengers in the car? Here's my dilemma: I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SR and I purchased a set of 19 x 8.5 aftermarket rims(still OE size) with 245/40/19 tires(still OE size) with 35mm offset. Original factory rims are 50 mm offset. The other day, the family and I went out and the car started bottoming out/rubbing on the tires. Took the car back to the shop where I had the lowering springs installed, thinking there was an issue with the spring installation. Was told that it was because I installed bigger wheels, which I didn't, was causing the tires to hit the fender wells. The only difference in the rims was the offset; from 50mm to 35mm, Any suggestions on what I can do to be able to keep the wheels on the car without having the rubbing issue? I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima SR. Thanks in advance for reading my post.

So your new wheels are actually 15mm narrower from the hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheels. That should have tucked them inward close to 3/4, bringing the tires in away from the rim by the same difference. Tell me, how much distance do you have now between the outer edge of your tire and the point in the wheel well where it is rubbing?

Boojack66 10-25-2018 05:18 PM

Maybe a 1/4 of an inch.

kasdepwel 10-25-2018 05:45 PM

Its your offset, on the rear with oem wheels and 15 mm spacers i was very close to rubbing, You could roll fender. Did you get an alignment?

Boojack66 10-25-2018 05:45 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....0b3199cee8.jpg

Boojack66 10-25-2018 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel (Post 9186208)
Its your offset, on the rear with oem wheels and 15 mm spacers i was very close to rubbing, You could roll fender. Did you get an alignment?

Yes, got an alignment right after springs were installed.

Boojack66 10-25-2018 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by kasdepwel (Post 9186208)

Thank you for the info, I had a feeling it was the offset. I am going to look into getting the fenders rolled.

MadMax07SL 10-26-2018 06:26 AM

Or get the right wheels with the right offset, and sell these since you likely can't send them back.

ragulto 10-26-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Boojack66 (Post 9186154)
iHello All,

Hi Boojack66. I have the same car as yours lowered on Eibach Pro Kit. My rims are 20x9 +32. It was rubbing on the rear with full passengers so I decided to roll the fenders and it fixed the issue.

Boojack66 10-27-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ragulto (Post 9186283)
Hi Boojack66. I have the same car as yours lowered on Eibach Pro Kit. My rims are 20x9 +32. It was rubbing on the rear with full passengers so I decided to roll the fenders and it fixed the issue.

Thank you for the info, Ragulto, I am going to look into getting my fenders rolled because I like the wheels I have and it is only off by 1/4 of an inch.