8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Do I need to do the Nissan 30k Maintenance Package my dealer was offering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 AM

Do I need to do the Nissan 30k Maintenance Package my dealer was offering?

Dropped the Maxima for the 30k oil change this morning at the dealer since I have 6 covered. I asked if they could check out the oil levels, CVT fluid condition etc., basically whatever's recommended in the maintenance schedule.

The service advisor strongly advised doing their $900 flush of brake fluid, engine oil, CVT fluid, and something to clear out the gas line? I opted not to do it for now but just wanted to see opinions on whether it's necessary? 30k is sort of a milestone but still early in the life of the car and if the fluid checks don't show anything in bad shape then I don't really need it at this point right?

Thanks,

Last edited by Goldpanda94; 04-12-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 AM

That's overpriced I think. Induction cleaning, $80 at firestone, brake fluid flush, $80 at firestone. Engine oil, $45 semi-synthetic. CVT fluid replacement is normally done much later, after 60,000 it should be tested. And if your driving conditions are rough 60k is a good starting point. The interval may be as high as 100,000 for CVT, and should only cost about $200+. So all total that service should only cost about $450 if you did them all individual. Where's the other $450 going???

I'm shocked that this dealership is trying to sell you that at only 30,000 miles. I'd get the service advisor to admit he's trying to scam you to your face, and assure him that if he ever wants to see your car there for service again, that he never pull a fast one like that...you set the service advisor straight like that, he'll be eating out of your hand for all of your future visits. You could also consider a different dealership too, but I always like to set the record straight first, then see how dialog goes after that.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:21 AM

Agree with Mad Max on most of this. Would have the dealer do the brake fluid flush (Nissan wants this done every 20K) and have them do the oil change with filter. Also check the engine and interior air filters. The interior air filter change is nasty hard to do and one I'd farm out to the dealer as well. Since my Maximas were new, I have added Techron black bottle fuel system cleaner every 2000 miles. I get this a Costco by the 6 bottle case for around 24 bucks and sometimes it is on sale for less. Never had to have any dealer fuel system cleanings I believe, because of this pro active approach. PS: I also never use premium gas. (Sorry to bring this gas topic up but have done this on my last 4 Maximas)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Agree with Mad Max on most of this. Would have the dealer do the brake fluid flush (Nissan wants this done every 20K) and have them do the oil change with filter. Also check the engine and interior air filters. The interior air filter change is nasty hard to do and one I'd farm out to the dealer as well. Since my Maximas were new, I have added Techron black bottle fuel system cleaner every 2000 miles. I get this a Costco by the 6 bottle case for around 24 bucks and sometimes it is on sale for less. Never had to have any dealer fuel system cleanings I believe, because of this pro active approach. PS: I also never use premium gas. (Sorry to bring this gas topic up but have done this on my last 4 Maximas)
That fuel system cleaner, do you just dump in the right amount at intervals? May need to look into that next time I'm at Costco
Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 PM

I use Chevron gas always and it comes with Techron.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
That fuel system cleaner, do you just dump in the right amount at intervals? May need to look into that next time I'm at Costco
One bottle (approx 12 OZ) to a full tank of gas every 2 to 3,000 miles seems to be about right.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Goldpanda94
The service advisor strongly advised doing their $900 flush of brake fluid, engine oil, CVT fluid, and something to clear out the gas line?,

I bet he did....And HELL NO~!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! I ended up getting the brake fluid flush done. Gonna hold off on CVT fluid until like 45k or 60k I think.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM

My dealer pushes exactly the same ~$900 service at 30k, and not just for the Maxima. Sucks when you have to be on your toes just to avoid being scammed at every step. And yet this seems to be the norm at Nissan dealerships generally. If I decide to trade early (which I probably will at this point) this will be the most important factor.

Last edited by slava; 04-14-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by slava
My dealer pushes exactly the same ~$900 service at 30k, and not just for the Maxima. Sucks when you have to be on your toes just to avoid being scammed at every step.
It's more common sense than being on your toes. I know a lot of people who do whatever the dealer tells them to do....I just laugh...New cars are basically maint free for 100,000 K miles. Oil, Tranny-Questionable, Brake Fluid-I suppose, Coolant-very long life maybe......If it makes you feel better, and you like tossing money out the window....go for it. I do all that I can myself....I changed my front wheel bearing last weekend.....it cost me about 70 Bucks using a Timkin bearing. Dealer wanted $450.00- and that is a garbage OEM bearing which died at 50K miles
Old 04-14-2019, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by wild *****
It's more common sense than being on your toes. I know a lot of people who do whatever the dealer tells them to do....I just laugh...New cars are basically maint free for 100,000 K miles. Oil, Tranny-Questionable, Brake Fluid-I suppose, Coolant-very long life maybe......If it makes you feel better, and you like tossing money out the window....go for it. I do all that I can myself....I changed my front wheel bearing last weekend.....it cost me about 70 Bucks using a Timkin bearing. Dealer wanted $450.00- and that is a garbage OEM bearing which died at 50K miles
The dealer service departments are always feeding their revenue stream and it is wise for anyone to review the required service items and write them out to give to the service writer. When my 2016 Maxima was new (delivered in Oct 2015), as a sales incentive, Nissan gave me a complimentary 3 year 36000 mile service contract which spelled out what they would do in order to maintain the warranty. Those items included all dyno oil, oil filters, engine air filters, cabin filters, brake fluid changes, etc. Even with all this on a schedule of what Nissan would pay, the service writer would still go "fishing" asking if I wanted full synthetic oil, premature cabin filter change, alignment, even when the car tracked straight as an arrow! In short the dealer always wanted to do more than what the Nissan service contract would pay for, things not necessary to retain the factory warranty!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
The dealer service departments are always feeding their revenue stream and it is wise for anyone to review the required service items and write them out to give to the service writer. When my 2016 Maxima was new (delivered in Oct 2015), as a sales incentive, Nissan gave me a complimentary 3 year 36000 mile service contract which spelled out what they would do in order to maintain the warranty. Those items included all dyno oil, oil filters, engine air filters, cabin filters, brake fluid changes, etc. Even with all this on a schedule of what Nissan would pay, the service writer would still go "fishing" asking if I wanted full synthetic oil, premature cabin filter change, alignment, even when the car tracked straight as an arrow! In short the dealer always wanted to do more than what the Nissan service contract would pay for, things not necessary to retain the factory warranty!
That sounds about par for any dealer. Only do dealer for warranty work that I can not do myself, or the cost is such that I would be stupid. What I have found, the kids working on the cars know less than I do...and if a computer does not tell them what to replace....they are lost. Not to mention.....sometimes you break ****, scratch ****.....f%$# **** up.......I do not hide it or ignore. My mechanic (If necessary) is the same way.....if it breaks...tell me...it happens.... ..don't let me be surprised down the road because you got away with it....4 months ago...... I despise going to dealers for anything..But you probably already gathered that
Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Oh one more thing....service assumes everyone is stupid.......most are....