8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Rocker panel clips

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 03:26 PM

Rocker panel clips

Hi all,

I noticed on the wife's car that the driver side rocker panel looks like a clip broke. I haven't looked underneath, been waiting for a nice day, but does anyone have any details as to how that attaches? I'm hopeful it's just a little clip I can pick up.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:48 AM

As I recall, there are some flat topped push in clips on the standard rocker panel. Mine also had the optional rocker that clips right over the top of that. Let us know what you find.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM

Small update here - brought the car in to have the all season tires put back on. After the tires were swapped, I went to get into the car and noticed the rocker panel was in worse shape. I looked underneath and could see it was crushed in on the driver's side. Then an internal light bulb went off - I originally noticed this issue right after the snow tires were put on. It seems like it was crushed when they put it on the lift (both times).

I then remembered some of the posts on here of similar issues.

I spoke to the manager. He was pretty good about it and asked me to get two quotes to get it fixed. He's opening they can just heat it and bend it back.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by zup28w
Small update here - brought the car in to have the all season tires put back on. After the tires were swapped, I went to get into the car and noticed the rocker panel was in worse shape. I looked underneath and could see it was crushed in on the driver's side. Then an internal light bulb went off - I originally noticed this issue right after the snow tires were put on. It seems like it was crushed when they put it on the lift (both times).

I spoke to the manager. He was pretty good about it and asked me to get two quotes to get it fixed. He's opening they can just heat it and bend it back.
You have hit the nail on the head. I had the optional rocker trim skirts from the factory on my 2016 Max and on two separate times, the tech cracked them while lifting the car!
On this vehicle there needs to be lift extensions (Either wood blocks or rubber blocks at the end of the lift arms inserted, some lift arms have them built in that are adjustable) Of course my dealer did not accept responsibility since the damage was not discovered right away. For my 19 Max also with the rocker option, I now tape these lifting instructions to the steering hub and emphatically remind the service writer. (See text below) Now I get down and check each side before departing the dealer:

Important Message

This 2019 Maxima is equipped with the optional Rocker Side Skirts!

Before you lift the car make sure the lift points on each arm are extended so the side lift arms do not crack the

Rocker Skirts.

Even if your max does not have the optional side skirts, a careless tech can crack what is there!
Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by zup28w

What trim do you have? I was under the assumption all maximas has the plastic splash guards on them
Old 05-06-2019, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steptide
What trim do you have? I was under the assumption all maximas has the plastic splash guards on them
The nearly veritical splash guards are an option but there are horizontal rocker panel covers that come standard on all the Max's. In addition, there are the optional rocker panel covers with a chrome trim spear on both sides that are also suseptible to lift damage.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi Steptide - I have a SV model.

I did reach out to my local Nissan dealership and the parts department thought the part was around $190 per side, unpainted. Body shop #1 told my wife it could be up to $800 per side and that they'd email me an estimate. She's on her way to body shop #2 for an estimate. I'll know more later this afternoon.