8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

2016 Maxima SL replacment wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020 | 08:11 PM

2016 Maxima SL replacment wheels?

Hi all,

My 2016 Max SL wheels have the usual scratches, abrasions, edge gouges, etc from rubbing against curbs. Have you had this problem and replaced your wheels?

If so, did you have the original wheels refurbished or did you buy replacement wheels?

If refurbished, were you satisfied with how they looked? How close to brand new were they? How much did you pay?

If replaced, did you buy "replica" wheels vs. OEM wheels? If the former, were you satisfied with their construction and appearance? Have they worn well? Did you buy online? How much did you pay?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Cheers!
Old 05-14-2020 | 11:08 PM

I would suggest to keep whatever you have. You can’t keep rims bothering you. Even if you get OEM or brand new.. you will most definitely will get marks, scratches, scuffling no matter what.

if you want to feel no concern about rims you need to drive something else.

Last edited by NisCal17; 05-14-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2020 | 09:03 AM

I bought my car used and the rims have curb rash. I plan on having them powder coated black. The place i found does nice work and pretty good price.
Old 05-15-2020 | 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by NisCal17
I would suggest to keep whatever you have. You can’t keep rims bothering you. Even if you get OEM or brand new.. you will most definitely will get marks, scratches, scuffling no matter what.

if you want to feel no concern about rims you need to drive something else.
Yes, I thought about that...especially since the wheel marks were caused by my driving failures when I was learning "where" my wheels were (relative to my previous car) coupled with getting used to the rear camera markings. (Or just plain old not paying attention to my driving.)

But...I just finished "detailing" my car and it looks really great...except for the wheels which don't match the beauty of the body. Maybe I'll just learn to accept that.
Old 05-15-2020 | 02:11 PM

Well, I went through the same learning process on my 2016 and I did replace two wheels (not rims) because they bothered me. (From Ebay). I have since learned to use my 360 view camera on the 2019 Platinum which also gives me a curb view and don't have wheel rash marks of any sort with 14000 miles on the clock.
Old 05-16-2020 | 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by robtroxel
Well, I went through the same learning process on my 2016 and I did replace two wheels (not rims) because they bothered me. (From Ebay). I have since learned to use my 360 view camera on the 2019 Platinum which also gives me a curb view and don't have wheel rash marks of any sort with 14000 miles on the clock.
I assume the eBay ones were replicas.
Are they built the same way as the originals? (I understand that some replicas are pretty close while others are not of the same quality.)

Do they look as good as your originals?
Old 05-16-2020 | 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by EdOz
Are they built the same way as the originals? (I understand that some replicas are pretty close while others are not of the same quality.)

Since we have 2 Maximas with the same wheels, I purchased 2 refurbished 18 inch wheels to have as spares, if needed, from an eBay seller that sells wheels and caps. This company has sold over 33,000 items on eBay, and have great feedback.

Very pleased with the quality, and peace of mind knowing I have a spare wheel if needed.
Old 05-17-2020 | 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by EdOz

They were originals. One came from a dealer display, another was a take-off from someone changing their wheels out. There are also quite a few wheels that have been repaired on the market. Not sure about how they perform though. I paid around 200 shipped for each one but that was a couple of years ago. I would think availability should be good.