Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

RSB Hardware Question

Old 03-16-2008, 07:09 AM

RSB Hardware Question

I recently purchased a RSB from a fellow .org member. The RSB apparently came from a 2000 Maxima, so I assumed that the hardware would be the same for my 2001. However, when I tried to install it last night, I ran into some problems with the mounting hardware fittment.

I found that the brake lines on the rear trailing arms were in the way of the flat brackets, and I couldn't get the brackets to fit with the lines there.
Below I have some pictures of the hardware that was included with bar. There are two U-bolt assemblies that bolt the bar to the rear axle, as well as two plate-assemblies that bolt the bar to the rear trailing arms.

I read Audatious' write-up on VQPower, and apparently the 5th Gen hardware differs from the 4th Gen hardware. The 5th Gen's have U-bolt assemblies for the rear trailing arms instead of the flat-plate assemblies.
Here is the link:
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/readarticl...article_id=116
It's right in Step 2 there.

Is there any way that these brackets (My brackets) could have came from a 5th Gen Maxima? Judging by Audatious' write-up, I have the 4th Gen mounting hardware? It seems strange to me that I would have this fittment issue when trasnferring form one 5th Gen to another if I had the correct hardware.

Will I have to replace the flat-brackets with U-bolts, or is there another way to make this fit? (I haven't received an answer by pm about the actual year of the Maxima that this came from yet)

If I do have to replace them, what size is the u-bolt for the 5th Gen's (I am assuming that I will have to thread the u-bolt further toward the bend, since the rear trailing arm is not very thick compared to the unthreaded depth of most u-bolts).

Anyway, here are the pictures of the hardware that I have:

And here is a picture that I found on the forum that kind of outlines where my fittment issue is. The "Flat-plate" hardware would have to go where the "U-bolt" is in this picture, but there is clearance issues from where the lines are bolted to the trailing arms there.
http://www.moodym.com/maxima/tech/im...idebracket.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 AM

On a positive note, I installed the bushings before I tried to mount the bar, and here are the pics of the pre-assembled bushings. They can slide along the bar, so it is pretty easy to stick them on the bar, get the bar mounted, then adjust the placement of the bushings to get a good fit.

My car is currently still up on ramps with the sway-bar hanging right now, since I haven't mounted the bar to the rear trailing arms due to the above hardware issues:

Old 03-18-2008, 07:43 PM

I have yet to install mine yet. I have a 4th gen. And when I ordered mine from Cattman it said that it can fit 95-03. So you have the right kit regardless.

Looking at my instructions and your last picture, you have everything setup correctly. But I did remember reading somewhere that you may have to unscrew the brake lines to gain clearance. Do you have a picture of the exact problem.

In the picture you provided, in your first post, it seems that it is installed wrong, because the U-bolts are not suppose to be on the trailing arm they are suppose to be on the beam itself.

I don't know if that helps. But its all I got.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:32 AM

Sorry dude, I actually posted a solution embedded in another thread that I had been posting in a different section. I figured that I would post in the suspension section, because the RSB is a suspension component.

Basically I did have the setup installed correctly up until the point that I posted the "problem", and the 5th Gen hardware is apparently different from the 4th Gen hardware. However, I did un-bolt the brake lines from the trailing arms and pushed a few things out of the way to get the 4th Gen brackets on there.

Here is a link to the thread, see Post #24:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=555496

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by WhiteA32
I have yet to install mine yet. I have a 4th gen. And when I ordered mine from Cattman it said that it can fit 95-03. So you have the right kit regardless.

Looking at my instructions and your last picture, you have everything setup correctly. But I did remember reading somewhere that you may have to unscrew the brake lines to gain clearance. Do you have a picture of the exact problem.

In the picture you provided, in your first post, it seems that it is installed wrong, because the U-bolts are not suppose to be on the trailing arm they are suppose to be on the beam itself.

I don't know if that helps. But its all I got.