Advanced Suspension, Chassis, and Braking Talk about suspension geometry, advanced handling/chassis setup, custom brakes, etc. NOT your basic brake pads and "best drop" Information.

Progress with 03 Strut/Shocks Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM

Progress with 03 Strut/Shocks Upgrade

Well I decided to overhaul my shocks and struts. I just got the mounts and boots in today from tirerack. All KYB. I should be getting the Tokico HP blues in within the week. I'll take pics of those as well. I know everyone has seen mounts/boots/shocks but I figure for newer users and the actual install of these on an 03 I'll have here in this thread.

Anyhow here is what I got today. More to come on this install which is set up for next friday.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 PM

I bought the boot from tire rack as well, but not suspension mount. I figure I can still use the stock one unless its broken. What setup do you have?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:44 PM

make sure to check your sturt bearing.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Well, you know I'm in watching this thread. My Blues won't be installed for 2 more months. Although I'm much more interested in your ride assessment after the fact. Thanks for the heads-up, OP.

BTW, since you're installing Blues w/stock springs, I'd like to know if there are any other similarities between our cars when you get to where you're assessing the new ride experience. We both have the 03 SE 6MT... do you have a RSB and FSTB? What about ES motor mount bushings, or NWP's torque link connector? And what rims and tires are you riding on, please?
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Well actually as far as the springs go, I realized the shop con me on when I bought lowering springs 6 years ago. I purchased eibach pro kit and they sold me B + G. (I found out later on down the road because the springs are RED)

So I'm not on stock springs, and its VERY Little if any drop. The car sits higher in the front.

As far as the other suspension, I have the Stillen FSB and RASB. I do not have the Es motor mount bushings or the NWP torque link. I'm trying to just fix what little I thought would be needed.

I had 20's on before when it was cool....and it pretty much ruined the shocks/struts. (We'll see if they're really awful or just time for changing when I get them off the car)

The tires I'm running are some cheapo Nexen3000 235/40/R18's (95% new) with the g37 Repilcas.
I'd like to get some bad *** tires next time around though. Some continental's or something really soft...anyhow im pumped for the install and ready for a better ride...

Last edited by Tippy Toes; 02-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Got these in today. I'll leave them in the box and fill out the warranty info when im at the shop. The shop has a nice lift and all so I should have plenty of install pics etc. FRIDAY!

If anyone would like to see/anglewise anything imparticular please let me know.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:16 AM

Looking forward to your ride assessment, is all. But pictures are always cool.

Although when you get your current struts off, I'm somewhat curious to know what shape your OEM dust boots are in. I'm wondering if they could be cleaned up and reconditioned with some silicon spray.

And I've never removed my trunk liner before, so I'm also wondering if that's a PITA or not.

My Blues are on back order, 10 days now. Not worried or anything; the retailer confirmed yesterday that everything is OK. Anyhow, my installation is still 8 weeks away, so no biggie.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-18-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Car rids a whole lot better. Feels like I paid for what I got and would do it over again, so far anyway. My old boots were just really torn and corroded, there was nothing wrong with the old shock/struts besides the fact they have 80k on them..the difference is night and day.

If youre looking for a comfortable ride I highly suggest hp blues if you're suspension is in diar need of some help . Pics of the install are below

These are most of the pics anyways. Enjoy
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 AM

The rest.

Special thanks to Andy and Evan at Serious Autosport in WPB, FL. Guys are great and they did great work. I recommend them to anyone here in south florida, nice shop too.

Last edited by Tippy Toes; 02-19-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes

The bumpstops and boots are not installed correctly. I'll try to find a picture of correctly installed components.

EDIT: ****, I'm wrong.

EDIT EDIT: I installed mine upside down, but it shouldn't matter. The correct direction appears it would excessively compress the boot.

Last edited by 2slow; 02-19-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 PM

If they are installed incorrectly, if feels sure damn good! But no, you may be right? Although it doesnt feel like its assembled wrong. Feels brand new...
Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 PM

So what are the changes? What are you feeling when crawling around? And what are you feeling on the highway? And aggressively hitting sweeping on-ramps? Body sway opinions, hard braking, etc. How is the ride now as compared to the OEM struts in a variety of conditions?

You set us up to follow the installation, now let's hear some details.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM

nice
Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 AM

The braking is good..it's not as rattl"y" for the lack of terms. I had to stop really fast with both installers after taking them to lunch. I always forget their turn and the car reacted well and I made a small skid but the car performed well brake wise. They were probably like damn, car stops well for a 4 door bus.

I mean the changes are night and day. I don't believe my struts were blown per say but they were taken abuse from the torn bump stops for sure. The car more or less bumped around over swails bumps etc. Now I'm not like tensing up for every little bump, I will still try to avoid them all.

I go over a nice mound from a mjor road on my way home or over the unpaved evenly railroad tracks and it's smooth. Like the car is brand new. Before at these parts my car bounces like 2-3 times...now it's like minimal compression on the shocks.

On the highway the car handled great. The car in general just felt like it had more control/stability on the road. Press the gas on the highway and the power remains instead of jolting to the lack of the rear wheel suspension. Was cruisin about 80-90 with a 5 series and a new ford sho on the way home.

The suspension is not loose at all. I'm not sure if it's because I have the FSB and the RASB but it just rides better than stock for sure.

Coilovers/adjustables would be nice to adjust the stance but I'm getting to the point where I want to feel stock more than anything. It does bother me some that the guy sold me springs that weren't what I ordered 6 years ago. Nothing I can do now but just look at my nice 1" gap difference from front to rear.

Before hitting the ramp onto I 95 to work there's a slight bump in the road it caused my car to hop and it nice to hit this going 40-50...(in terms of driving, not hitting the bumpy area) the car before hopped once and like bounced while turning on the on ramp and now it just hugs the turn to be honest. I could probably hit it at 55-60 and not have the body in the rear bouncing around and swaying. Now it feels like I could hug the turn and smooth off after it. It's a nice 3rd gear pull area.

I hope this kind of helps out, I know alot of people ride bigger rims etc. All I have to say if it gets old, this set up with some new mounts (might not need em) but at least boots and blues is a great OEM replacement to finding that off the dealership brand new car feeling ride.

I'm happy...
Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Well written. I particularly like the before/after observation about your I95 bump in the road.

It reads like your body sway has reduced, and your handling has less play. How about vibrations? Would you say that when driving down the highway straight and at a constant speed, that the ride is more forgiving (softer), or more sensitive (bumpy)?

M1MAG3 wrote up a great review of his Blues here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...es-w-drop.html

Between the both of you guys, I'm seriously charged up to swap out my original struts. It reads exactly like the kind of ride I want.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-20-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM

nice!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:03 AM

Sorry for lack of proper sentences or run on's. Typing on my phone. I'll check out the thread above. I'll reply with the other questions regarding the highway later. Try to get a better feel for the changes I noticed regarding shaking of steering wheel at 75-80 mph etc. I think you'll love your set up Roch and it sounds like you have alot of proper upgrades to go with the blues. It'll be worth it..
Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 AM

Sorry for lack of proper sentences or run on's. Typing on my phone. I'll check out the thread above. I'll reply with the other questions regarding the highway later. Try to get a better feel for the changes I noticed regarding shaking of steering wheel at 75-80 mph etc. I think you'll love your set up Roch and it sounds like you have alot of proper upgrades to go with the blues. It'll be worth it..
Your writing is fine, no worries from me. I appreciate you putting your thoughts down as I anticipate this swap.

Too many people here just slap on mods and overreact with first impressions, never taking the time to savor the subtleties in what they've done. Drive around for a while; turn off the stereo and get in touch with your ride. Now is the right time to establish your opinions, before everything becomes the "new normal", if you follow my meaning.

It might sound like philosophical BS to some, but that's the attitude which has kept me interested in my car going on 8 years now. (And thereby saved me $$$ by not buying a new one!)
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM

I agree with you about maintance and not having gripes on having a new ride.
I did plenty of research and saw alot of opinions before switching to the blues. I've been waiting to do this for at least a year and have been taking the time to compile the right list. Is there more I could do/could of done sure but this was a good choice and the right step for now.

8 years that's quite sometime. I believe I was on this forum before I actually bought the max. Did alot of different research as well before going with the 03. Last model in that generation with a great engine at the time and wanted manual. My other screen name has a join date of 2002 I think...

All and all this is a great site for information and research. I will go test the suspension a bit more..I rarely ever brake as fast as I did yesterday and I did go on the highway and manuvered my fair share. I also may hit up the track down here now that things are pieced together and get a real feel for how the car handles.

Checked out that thread above, I hadn't read it before and there is some good analyst there too. Good stuff. Maybe some more follow up of the steering wheel vibrations and turning the music off to really feel and understand the changes a bit better
Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Very cool. I'm looking forward to reading that.

Almost 8 years... bought the car new in August 2002. Daily driver, Upstate NY winters, but low mileage. I may be on the 10-year plan. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Excellent post, did you change anything else besides the suspension mounts or dust boots from the old suspension?

How did everything else look on the old suspension? Would you change anything else?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Hey thanks, figure use all my resources and just get some info on the org here.

I didnt use anything else besides the mounts and boots, tbh I might not of needed all 4 mounts. Replaced them anyways because I was right there in the area. None of the other mounts looked out of place or corrided or whatever.

As far as old suspension, I would say just the shocks and struts have the most ware on them at 80k. The boosts were completely shot though. I definitely recommend the boots. Alot of posts on here you see peoples boots are shot, and hopefully when upgrading the shocks/struts anyways, you MUST get these. Especially after 80k or anything showing signs of wear to your boots.

I had an issue that I noticed like several months before, and I could see that the original OE boot was just shredding more or less bewteen the spring and shocks. This was due to the boot being shot.

So far I wouldnt change ANYTHING else. I mean, could there be more to do YES. Is it necessary, probably NOT. I didnt see anything like corrided/bent or broken etc so I didnt see a point to change (at install time anyways) This goes for even the mounts.

Ride has set in a little more and I still like the way the blues ride, I always want the BMW or Cadillac feel but just not going to get that out of a 4drsc =)
Old 03-06-2010, 07:34 AM

Ride has set in a little more...
What do you mean by that, please?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Lets just say its a Maxima and im not tensing up anymore for bumps. It doesnt feel like my moms bmw, just a 4 drsc =)....It's a 180 in comparison to what I had and the car is more insync with the road and conditions.